Cyclosporin Eye Drops Odd Question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Cyclosporin Eye Drops Odd Question

For those of you (and I know you are out there) who are giving your Pannus/Plasmoma dogs cyclosporin drops does your bottle get all greasy? I swear that it is coming out through the plastic. First, because the bottle is slimy. I wrap it in tissue and put it in a pill bottle to try to reduce that yuck factor. Second, I went through a whole bottle in a month.

Could it be leaking through the bottle somehow? No other drops I've had do this. My contact lens drops certainly don't! I don't let the corn oil/drop drizzle down the sides either.

Is my vet office out to get me?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 10:55 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Cyclosporin Eye Drops Odd Question

Sounds like you've got the stuff that comes in the little white bottle. Those never got messy for me. The brown glass ones with the rubber "eye dropper" top 'though... Those muck up fast. It's probably the composition of the drops fighting with the container. I'd ask the vet if other people had the problem.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 11:32 PM
Knighted Member

LOL Jean. Bear's is a teeny bit greasy too. But our problem with the latest bottle we got is that it seems to have a hole smaller than the consistency of the drops! I swear--I have to squeeze that thing like a maniac to get the smallest drop out. And Bear--drama queen extraordinaire that she is--actually cries like she's getting overdosed with drops as I'm breaking into a sweat just trying to get one darn drip out of the bottle!

"Help! My eyes, my eyes! Mother--you're killing me!"

"Umm, Bear, I haven't done anything yet."

~Amy
Loving life with the world's biggest goof: OZZY! Rescued from Ohio 10/27/09 thanks to Echo & BDBHs rescues, forever home 11/21/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 12:23 AM

I am so glad to see this thread as I though I was being a big clutz. When I sit the bottle down between doing eyes and putting away I have started leaving an old white bottle cap on the shelf for this reason. Before the bottle is empty the label tends to wear off so I keep the plastic canister that is was in when shipped to set the messy bottle in between uses. (I get mine from West Labs and it is shipped to me.)

That stuff is too expensive to waste for sure. And it is bad enough when you first get it and see the bottle only half full to begin with. Guess if they sent the correct size bottle (in relation to the liquid) it would be lost in the wrapping.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 02:41 AM
Crowned Member

both things have happend to me...the bottle does seem porous in some way and gets greasy, AND the hole is smaller than small so you have to squeeeeze forever to get the stuff to come out.

just wondering about something regarding pannus/plasmoma...what would you think if you had a dog diagnosed with plasmoma by a well respected doctor at a very expensive specialty clinic, and then when you took her to the department of ophthalmology at a VERY well respected college of veterinary medicine, at a large midwestern university, their conclusion was that they found no evidence of plasmoma? all information i can find on this condition indicates it can be treated but not cured. anybody have any thoughts/opinions about this?

mom to the cashman
the rescues...jeni-take-a-ride, and the c-monster
shangri la's seraphina blue (RIP 8/1/15)
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
cricket (african grey RIP 7/13)
voodoo lily (dsh RIP 8/15)
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 05:36 AM
Crowned Member

jean,
is it a tube, or plastic bottle? my optimologist has his made up by a company and its in a glass bottle with a dropper. i have never had a grease problem on the bottle itself. although i never get a full bottle i get half filled bottles because a full bottle tends to get cloudy on me, i don't think the cyclosporin has a very long shelf life., so the half bottle works better for us.

to answer the above post there is no cure for pannus, the best you can do is control it for the life of the dog. there haven't been any conclusive studies on why dogs get pannus, yes, gsd's seem to be targeted more than others. my thoughts is that it lies dormant as a weakness and certain issues could make it show up.
things that effect the immune system like vaccinations, lyme disease, etc.

debbie

url
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

YES! Plastic bottle-the label slides off, the grease is everywhere. TJ it's not just us!

Now they are using the white bottle and not the clear so I can't even tell until I am almost done that I am-but with the other bottle I would watch the level go down way faster than seemed possible-I mean-2 total drops a day should last more than a month!

Some plastic is porous, right? Maybe that is it? Maybe the glass bottles are the key.

I feel like if it is coming out of the bottle somehow, I am losing a lot of money over time. And I don't like that thought.

I am very glad I asked because I know when I call them (I am not sure if they have a lot of customers using this stuff) they are going to think I am being dramatic (WHO? ME?). I am going to bring it in with me though when I pick up my refill. Actually, I think my one vet uses it...hmmmm...

Bear!

Between those appointments katieliz was the dog treated for Plasmoma. Do you have pictures?

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 04:35 PM
Crowned Member

i thought most optimologists had the cyclosporin 2% specially made. i don't think it comes already made in the plastic bottles, does it? i have always gotten the glass from my OP. and yes, plastic can seep and leak. i like the glass much better. and yes, you are loosing money. god knows the stuff is not cheap to begin with, or at least mine isn't. i would find out about it.
i often wondered if the human eye med (restasis) would be comparable to the cyclosprin we get for out dogs. i do get toby's FML from a friend that works at a human eye drs office, they have samples, which is awesome.

debbie

url
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 06:38 PM
Knighted Member

My K9 ophtalmologist prescribed tacrolymus instead of the cyclosporin. They told me the effect is the same but it costs less. It was like water and lasted for quite a while.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 07:33 PM
Crowned Member

Here's our experience:
The disease responds differently at different altitudes. (Less UV at sea level than at 6,000ft.) We used different drops because of this - milder drops at lower elevation to control the disease.
We had the white bottles for a while (2 different meds) then an even different med in the white bottle, now a mild med in a brown glass bottle. The tiny white bottles were pre-made; the brown bottle the pharmacy mixes.
I refridgerate it to preserve it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page