any experiences with heart murmers? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

any experiences with heart murmers?

I took Indy in to get some bloodwork today, and the vet found a heart murmer. She judged it as a grade two. It wasn't there when she had her mast cell tumor removed in September.

I suspect that it's caused from systemic inflammation? It's either from infection, or from her vaccine-related issues. We don't know which. I may know more when the bloodwork comes in.

Experiences anybody? I haven't yet done any research on it -- that will have to wait until tomorrow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 10:09 PM
Elite Member

Re: any experiences with heart murmers?

Yup my Cody (a non-gsd) had a heart murmer for a few years before her passed away (not related to the murmer)

Laurie and the furkids Chaya CGC, Zander, and
Var (Ingvar vom Eichenluft), CGC, BH, FD
Feliz, Cody, Oki & Aja gone but never forgotten.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 10:31 PM
Crowned Member

Sorry, Lisa. I know nothing But please keep us posted. I do know plenty of humans with heart murmurs yet don't have any issues. No clue if it's the same for dogs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-18-2007, 10:47 PM
Crowned Member

M&J had a dog with one. I am not sure if it was like an adult onset or if he had it all along...

Is there such a thing as adult onset heart murmur? I guess there would be huh? I am sure they are different from the puppy murmurs.

Anna had one but it was caused by an AV fistula and was that was probably caused by being shot. I have an image of the fistula-it was huge. Hers was a 5 before her surgery and is a 1 now (can't really hear it but it's there). I cannot say enough good about her cardiologist.

That must have been scary news-I'm sorry.

post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

thanks everyone.

Jean, I can imagine that being shot might induce some kind of trauma!?!?

The vet thought it was most likely due to degenerative changes from inflammation. What is inducing the inflammation is a entirely different story. I am worried about the suddent onset. She has not been well since that surgery

The vet thought we should monitor it and then see the cardiologist if it progresses. I think I am going to treat for infection first and see if that changes anything. I don't know yet what to do for valve disease -- most heart info I have is about the other aspects of the heart.

Yes Jean, it is scary news. I expected her some day to get cancer because of all her risk factors. Her heart wasn't something I would have ever expected. She has such a low heart rate too -- at the vet's it's probably about 68, and 52 at rest. They always have to set their monitors real low for her. When she was young, I used to think she wasn't breathing.....

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 03:30 PM
M&J
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to M&J

Wow Jean, you have a good memory. Your Anna had the mack daddy of all heart murmurs and look how well she is doing!

Madison was dx with a grade 1 when he was around 4. It never interfered with his activity. When he was 14.5 it went up to a grade 3. Cardiologist said he would not die of anything heart related, and it was controlled with enalapril and a diuretic that began with an "L".
He ended up dying of kidney failure months later.
Hope the antibiotics work. If not, there are meds to help control it.
Good luck!

Mary
I got a dog for my husband. It was a good trade.

Athena and Zeus
LILLY and RUDY
In Memory of MADISON, The King 12/89-6/04
In Memory of JAKE, The Perfect Dog 9/01-11/02
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks Mary. Jean does remember all sorts of stuff, doesn't she? (hmmm, also assumed Jean is a she?)

I just recently read something about the heart and the kidneys.....hmmmmm.....

Indy doesn't tolerate drugs, so this will be a new path for us. For a grade 2 murmur, would you see a cardiologist? Or wait and monitor?

I too hope the abx work -- it's a long shot.

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 05:09 PM
M&J
Knighted Member

I am a hypochondriac so yes, I would see a cardiologist, just to be under their care.
I paid $400 for an ultrasound. Worth it for peace of mind, to me.
If I remember correctly, the cardiologist said they don't treat for a murmur until it reaches a grade 3. I guess it depends on what the ultrasound shows.
If the antibiotics work, I would just stick with my regular vet and monitor it.

Mary

Athena and Zeus
LILLY and RUDY
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks Mary. I think I will do just that -- see what happens with the antibiotics. The vet did say we'll monitor it closely and they do work with a cardiologist that she really likes. Max gets acupuncture about every 6 weeks, so I'll bring Indy in to get checked then.

Thanks.

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-19-2007, 06:32 PM
M&J
Knighted Member

Sounds like a plan, Lisa. Best of luck!

PS. My same dog had mast cell cancer when he was 7. He died at almost 15. The cancer never returned after his initial dx of MCC.

Mary

Athena and Zeus
LILLY and RUDY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page