Tetanus symptoms - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Tetanus symptoms

Last week I had post that Cyrus had some discomfort in his mouth, I had attributed it to a broken canine tooth. After a visit to the vet, she concluded it was his jaw that was the problem and he probably pulled a muscle,we scheduled a x-ray for a few days later in case the pain did not go away. I went home and on the vet advice gave him a dose of Metacam.
Later that day I noticed his eyes rolling around in his head a bit and he had trouble focusing. I thought it was the metacam. When he continued this Monday morning we went back to the vet.

She feels it is the nerves in his head, it has caused the muscles in his head to constrict so he is always frowning. His vision is off, his pupils are not dilating properly. But his jaw seems to be working okay.
He is also having difficulty swallowing. He is on a course of steroids and we go back on Saturday, she is also consulting with a neurologist.

She says this happens. Has this happened to anyone here? or has anyone heard anything similar?

Proud Owner to

Stella 5 year old GSD/Collie
Echo 4.5 year old GSD/Rottie
Cyrus 4 year old GSD
Quinn 2 year old Yellow head parrot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 07:29 PM

Re: Nerological poblem?

That's odd. Let us know what the vet says and the xrays show. I'm going to throw a few things out off the top of my head. Sounds like encephalitis of some kind maybe?
I've seen severe inner ear infections or foxtails imbedded really deep in the ear do similar things but pretty hard to miss the rotten ear so that's very doubtful.
A friend's Doberman shows some of the same symptoms occassionally. That dog has a disc problem in his neck and it flares up, usually because the dog did a faceplant on the wood floor. Rest and anti inflammatories and pain meds for a few days and the dog's back to right as rain though.
Question-is there any possibility Cyrus could have been punctured by something in or around his mouth that hasn't been spotted? Possibly tetanus or a deep abcess?
post #3 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

it's effecting his eye sight which has me very scared.

Proud Owner to

Cyrus 4 year old GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I don't think it could be a puncture, he has no wounds. I can find no info on the net either.

Proud Owner to

Cyrus 4 year old GSD
post #5 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 08:39 PM

OK, How'd he break the tooth? Is this an old or a new as in pretty recent thing?

Btw, an abcessing puncture you likely wouldn't find. At least not until it bursts. But it is painful. A splinter or something that's worked in deep you wouldn't notice at all until then. If a cat clawed him, even that could do it.

Several days of jaw discomfort, now eyes rolling, vision off, not dilating properly, difficulty swallowing but jaw seems to be working OK.

Noticed symptoms worse on Monday after Metacam. Now on steroids.

Call the vet back in the morning. Find out what the neurologist said. If the xrays haven't been done yet, get them done. Get blood work done. Go to another vet if you have to. He's got something going on and it needs to be found. It could be seizures, it could be some type of poison, could be many things. Whatever it is, it's gotten worse. Hopefully the steroids will help today and you'll see an improvement tomorrow.

Not trying to scare you more here, but this isn't going to be diagnosed over the internet.
If he gets worse than what he is, don't wait around, go to the emergency vet. The neuro signs and the difficulty swallowing ARE cause for alarm.

Please let us know how he does and what they find. Keeping my fingers crossed for y'all.
post #6 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 09:17 PM
Crowned Member

This is a question - is there something, a virus or something like that, that is similar to shingles (Herpes Zoster) in dogs? The symptoms sound like shingles but I can't find anything that relates to shingles and dogs (chickenpox).

Someone has already mentioned this about disc problems in the neck and head/jaw pain. But Ringer was having a lot of problems with pain in his head/jaw area that was helped after he was diagnosed with the bad discs in his neck. BUT no, it didn't affect his eyes.

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
post #7 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 09:52 PM
Crowned Member

Oh my gosh. I hope he's okay. I agree to push, push, push with the vetting on this.

Please let us know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

You are not scaring me anymore then I already am. I have been crying for days.

We did do blood, just waiting for it to come back.

My vets seem to be taking this very seriously as they have never seen "in person" this type of thing. He is not getting any worse, but he is not better either, although his jaw seems to be working better.

His balance is fine, he chasing a ball although he is having some trouble seeing it. He does not seem to be in any pain at all, and the eyesight is bothering me more than it is him.

There is no behavior change at all with him, which is why she does not at this point think it could be seizers or a brain tumor.

His eyes, I cannot tell you how freaky they are, I get a lump in my throat every time I see his eyes cross, roll back or when I see that he has to shake his head for them to go back into place.

Thank you for your responses this is just devastating to me.

Proud Owner to

Cyrus 4 year old GSD
post #9 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 10:00 PM
Crowned Member

Could it be that vestibular thing-in a dog that young?
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...r_disease.html

Wow. Are you near Guelph? Cornell may not even be that far from you, really-or Michigan. Just thinking ahead. I think these guys are expensive, but less than Canadian vets-at least it was that way for the IMOM dog: http://www.opvmc.com/ find a neurologist site: http://www.acvim.org/

I'm sorry that this is happening.

post #10 of 115 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thank you Jean it means alot.

His balance and hearing are perfect, which is why this is so hard to diagnose.

We have discussed Guelph, and I told her that I will take him anywhere to make sure that he will be okay. He is worth a few thousand if that is what it takes. I can't bear the thought of losing him.

She is doing all the prelim stuff here and is in contact with the neurologist. I will be going for a follow up Saturday morning, she wants to see how the steroids work. I am 10 minutes from the emerg ER if needed. I am also leaving work a few times a day to check on him.

I just can't find info that could give a hint as to what is causing this.

Proud Owner to

Cyrus 4 year old GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page