Dog Safety from the Summer Heat. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Dog Safety from the Summer Heat.

Hi all, sorry for the huge delay in getting a new topic out but I have to admit, I've just been fresh out of ideas [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/11_confused.gif[/img]. Well, until today that is [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/03_wink.gif[/img].

Here goes…
Now that summer is fast approaching and our days are getting longer and warmer what are some of the things that we can do to keep our pooches cool, hydrated and safe in the summer heat? What are safe summer practices regarding exercise, car rides and time in the sun and what are not? Is it OK to leave the windows of the car open while you run quickly, or not so quickly, into a store or should there be laws against dogs being left in cars at all? What do you do when you see a dog locked (or should I say trapped!) in a car on a hot summer day?

Hmmm.... let us know what you think, what you do and what you've seen in the past. Hopefully topics like this will make it a safe summer for dogs everywhere.

rhaya [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/06_cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 06:23 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Dog Safety from the Summer Heat.

http://www.mydogiscool.com/ <----I think this is a great website!

I will take my dogs with me for work errands where I am running in, dropping off, and going right back to the car. I bring an extra set of keys and lock the doors and leave the car on and the AC running. Emergency brake on. And I always hope they don't unlock the doors!

I believe there was a tragic situation where the AC was left on but the car died and the dogs were trapped. I would not use my system for things that took longer than 5-10 minutes, and I use my cell phone clock to time it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 07:30 PM
hst

My dogs are always inside their crates if I leave them in the car. Both rear windows are left completely open and they have a battery operated fan on their kennel doors. Yes, it is a risk that someone may open the car door through the open window but I'm willing to take that risk.
I try to park under a shade as much as possible. If parked under a shade, you can leave them for an hour and they're comfortable.

Also, I hide their leashes to make it more difficult for someone to steal them although my dogs will bark, growl and possibly bite anyone that tries to get into the car except me.

I also always have water and a container for them to drink from. If I'm thirsty enough to have something in the car's cupholder that means my dogs are going to be thirsty too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 07:55 AM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Caitlin

Where I live it is already reaching over 90 degrees so this is a big deal with me.

We've learned that the car thing is not something to be taken lightly. We recently were transporting a reptile and thinking it would be fine (since it's cold-blooded) we left it in the car WITH the windows cracked. Within 15 minutes of us returning it was dead.

I don't EVER leave any animals in the car anymore unless I'm only going to be gone for 5 minutes or less, but it's gotten to where someone is in the car with the dog with the car on while one person goes inside.

I am also having a hard time with walks. Any suggestions on this? The humidity makes it even HOTTER and recently I tried walking to Kid's Park, something I did alot in spring and I didn't make it. I had to call my mother to come pick me up. I was actually feeling dizzy and dehydrated and Mali wasn't looking so good either. Doesn't help that shes a longhaired with black fur.

Also when the dogs go outside in the yard they are back at the door within ten minutes whining to come in.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/02_frown.gif[/img] I really want to enjoy summer but unless we're at a pool or beach or the bay I don't know how to.

Artax - Akita Rescue - 1/1/13
Kokoro - Kitty Rescue - 2/3/08

Mali - Long Coat GSD - 10/14/03 - 10/28/13

post #5 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 08:46 AM
Crowned Member

My girls travel with me to my studio and on occasion to the grocery store. I also carry an extra set of keys to lock the car with the a/c on. I do this seldom and only because we live in a little sleeper town where I don't have to worry about someone dognapping them.(Yet!) When the temps start rising I won't have them in the car at all while I run errands. Just to and from work.

Cathy and her 2 shedders:
Kali, frisbee fanatic
Niki, Euro import drama queen
post #6 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-03-2005, 10:01 AM
Master Member

The girls go with me only when we are going somewhere they can get out and come inside with me. Otherwise the HAVE-TO stay home with DH and watch TV.

Our summer temperature is in the 85-90's/6-8 weeks, 100+/a week.
So I am looking for cheap disposable thermostats, which can be attached to car windows, for those folks that do leave their pets/children in the car while they run a "quick" errand. For now I am going into the store and having them make a general announcement over the PA system and or call the police if no one responds.

Roxi - Wonder Dog
Sena - The Gator
Mariah - Scare-dy Puppy 99-10
Cookie - Social Butterfly 99-08
Liz
post #7 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 11:37 PM
Crowned Member

Years ago, a humane society near me said not to take
your dogs with you if the outside air temp was 72 or
above. I still hold to that. Do all my trips very early
in the morning.

Few years ago, I had to call about two dogs left out in
the back of a pick-up with a black bedliner, I grabbed
my water out of my truck that I always carry with me and
sarted pouring it all over. Animal control officer got
there and when the owner finally showed up, she read him
the riot act and he was properly chastised, it was
satisfying to see!

I always carry a center punch with me, and I will use it
to get a fur OR skin kid out of a hot locked car if I
have to, and deal with the consequences later! I don't
think any judge in the world would put me away for it.

Valerie

Tamsen's Dogster page:

post #8 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 03:41 AM

I also leave Shaka at home during hot weather. I tell him I wish I could stay home in the air-conditioned house! He sulks, but is soon happy again when we go outside and play for a few minutes. He loves to go through drive-through windows (pharmacy, bank) because the clerks often give treats for him with the receipt.
post #9 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 05:52 AM

Here in Florida I always keep lots of water in the car. If Karl is off with me working I will pour a bottle of water (not cold) over him once in awhile to cool him off. I try to keep him in the shade as much as possible. I give him extra breaks while walking and try to limit as much activity as possible to early morning and later in the day. If your dog is going to be on a hot surface then put booties on him to keep his pads from burning. And don't forget the sunscreen for eartips--I use the kind made for children/babies.

At home, we have plastic wading pools outside for the dogs to cool off in and sometimes we will turn a sprinkler on.

And watch your dog for warnig signs of overheating.

SOME SIGNS OF HYPERTHERMIA--HEAT STROKE

NERVOUSNESS
RAPID FRANTIC BREATHING
BRIGHT RED TONGUE AND GUMS
THICK AND STICKY SALIVA
FOAMING AT THE MOUTH
WEAKNESS
RAPID PULSE
ELEVATED RECTAL TEMPERATURE
SHOCK

TREATMENT

REDUCE BODY TEMPERATURE
MOVE TO A COOL, SHADED AREA
DO NOT IMMERSE IN COLD WATER
SPRAY THE ANIMAL WITH COOL WATER
WRAP IN WET COOL TOWEL
MONITOR THE RECTAL TEMPERATURE
TREAT FOR SHOCK
TRANSPORT TO THE VET ASAP

web page

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
post #10 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 07:04 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

With SAR training there is a lot of time in the car

1-A lean physically fit dog will be less subject to heat exhausting. I still play about 40 minutes of 2 ball split between am and pm EVERY day but when the sun is low and watch the dogs for signs of overheating
2-we park in shade windows down fan going and wire crate (platic crates can retain more heat and stagnant air around the dog not good). when you park in the shade be sure you understand where the sun is going.
3-plenty of cold water
4-if we go out to eat after training, i too leave the AC running and check every 10 minutes - i have been told it is not as hard on a car as you think.
5-since I don't keep the dogs outside i do have the thermostat in the house turned up to a slightly uncomfortable 78
6-splitting food to two light meals with time in the cooler house to digest

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page