Respect the Ovaries - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Respect the Ovaries

It is becoming more and more apparent that the sex organs are needed for MUCH more than just reproduction!

http://www.gpmcf.org/respectovaries.html

Highlights from the article by David J. Waters, DVM, PhD, Diplomate ACVS:

Quote:
Quote:A recent study by my research group appearing next month in Aging Cell reveals shortened longevity as a possible complication associated with ovary removal in dogs (1).
Quote:
Quote:We found that, like women, female Rottweilers were more likely than males to achieve exceptional longevity (Odds Ratio, 95% confidence interval = 2.0, 1.2 - 3.3; p = .006). However, removal of ovaries during the first 4 years of life erased the female survival advantage. In females, this strong positive association between ovaries and longevity persisted in multivariate analysis that considered other factors, such as height, adult body weight, and mother with exceptional longevity.

In summary, we found female Rottweilers who kept their ovaries for at least 6 years were 4.6 times more likely to reach exceptional longevity (i.e. live >30 % longer than average) than females with the shortest ovary exposure. Our results support the notion that how long females keep their ovaries determines how long they live

I'm all for keeping the overpopulation of pets down but early spay/neuters are NOT the right way.

Maybe it's time vets started looking more at early tubal ligation or vasectomy instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 11:47 AM
Elite Member

Re: Respect the Ovaries

Just read this last night and was going to post it! Very interesting. I wonder what my vet will say. She really recommends spuetering at 4-6 months. She thinks I am a "little crazy" for feeding raw and waiting to neuter until Benny is two. I won't neuter him at all if the retained testicle drops. ( Have not checked in awhile)

Benedict GSD 4/13/09
Pippin GR 2/6/14

Waiting at the Bridge
Eli GSD
Chopper APBT
Raphael GSD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 11:54 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Debbieg She really recommends spuetering at 4-6 months.
They all do! I think it's only because a smaller dog is easier to lift on the table. LOL!

Tubal ligation sounds interesting. To me it should be cheaper, too, but I'll bet it's not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 12:15 PM

You know I just lost the best sheppy ever due to spay incontienance and a butcher that called himself a vet. I will never spay a dog again.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Crowned Member

Thank you Lauri!! there seems to be alot of information about waiting to neuter but not much about spaying.

post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

FYI - I asked my friend (Rottie breeder) why it's always Rotties that get used in these studies. She said the Rottie Club puts alot of money into health research and fund Dr. Waters specifically.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 01:16 PM
Crowned Member

While I think altering a dog is a good tool and all mine are altered, I do not like doing it too early. I confess I got angry at my vet for pressuring me to nueter Havoc. I finally told her I would do it my time not hers.

Interesting article and it will make me think twice about altering.

Kathy

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
PTE,AG2,AN,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UACH,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,AX,OAJ,NF,RE,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 03:06 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Lauri & The GangI'm all for keeping the overpopulation of pets down but early spay/neuters are NOT the right way.

Maybe it's time vets started looking more at early tubal ligation or vasectomy instead.
Agreed!

Thanks for posting

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 03:48 PM

only problem is that tubals and vasectomies do fail in humans and would likely fail in dogs too; that's why vets spay and neuter as they do
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 03:50 PM

i agree lauri, there's a lot about the body that we don't know; i just had my 6 mos old shiba spayed; i put it off as long as i dared; i have an intact, 80 pound male gsd in the house and she wasn't spayed; i was afraid of what might happen...she's only 20 pounds. A determined male dog is not likely to stay in his crate and a crate won't protect her from him.

I would love to have waited a couple of years; but i'm not willing to take this risk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page