Rabies Vaccine Reaction (non- GSD) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Rabies Vaccine Reaction (non- GSD)

Hi everyone!

We took Jeni, my 7 year old Aussie to have her Rabies Vaccine this morning. Five hours later she started vomiting. First, 3 piles, then 10 minutes later 2 more piles, about 15 minutes after that another 3 piles. Immediately I was concerned about an allergic reaction to the vaccine. I watched her for a few minutes, then I noticed her face swelling. At that point we grabbed her leash and headed back to the vet, with phone in hand calling them and letting them know we were on our way.

The facial swelling was all around her nose, and mouth and her throat. She was not running a temp or lethargic at the time, everything else seemed normal. The vet gave her a steroid shot, and a Benedryl injection, plus a bottle of Benedryl for a couple days. He offered to keep her over night, but left it up to us. We brought her home, I hope we made the right choice. She is now resting peacefully at my feet.

Okay, I am aware of all the reactions they can get from the rabies vaccine, and I know more severe reactions can occur as far as a couple months later. So this is my question, now that she had this reaction, does this mean there is still an even bigger possibility that something worse could happen in the next few weeks or months?

Does anyone have any experience with this? Needless to say, I am now a nervous wreck with worry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 07:57 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Rabies Vaccine Reaction (non- GSD)

I am so so so sorry to hear this

There are two types of vaccine reactions. There is the immediate allergic response type of reaction, which you unfortunately just saw. With luck, that's all she will have.

The other type is the more subtle one, that will work internally, changing the structure and the working in the body. The latter one is the one that vets don't acknowledge and is not studied well at all. The closest study is the one that shows that thyroid antibodies are increased after rabies vaccination.

The only way I know to counter this second type of reaction is using homeopathy. At least that is my experience with Indy. I do hope that you will be able to get Jeni a lifelong exemption

Another recent reaction:
http://www.ourdogsonline.com/ubbthre...ion#Post237239

Scary stories:
http://www.oes.org/page2/18588~RABIE...Reactions.html
http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/petvacc.htm
http://stanford.wellsphere.com/pet-healt...atopathy/736904
http://books.google.com/books?id=VKa2Wo3...disease&f=false

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 08:00 PM
Crowned Member

I'm very sorry this happened, Tammy. Lisa's got the info above and I would second the suggestion to use homeopathy...and never, ever, ever vaccinate for rabies again.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 08:02 PM
Crowned Member

Isn't there something we can give our dogs prior to a vaccine that helps (what little help there is) ward off some of the reactions?

My friend had told me 9,9853 times and I can never remember what it is

Dante - March 2004
Kaos von Wolfstraum Oct 2011

"Today is tomorrow's time machine" ~ Dr G ~
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 08:04 PM
Crowned Member

Sorry to hear this also.I hope you never have to vaccinate again.

Allie owned by:

Athena 5/4/08

Lexi 6/1/07 Puggle of some sort

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 08:24 PM
Crowned Member

Barb, some give Thuja, and for rabies, some use Lyssin. It's questionable whether using them before really helps, and it's questionable whether their use, before you see symptoms, is helpful. That being said, I did give Lyssin after my nephew's rabies vax (oops, edit, my nephew's dog's rabies vax).

For Indy, who has lots of vaccination issues in her past, the homeopathic vet never used either though. There were lots of other ones that were selected for Indy. And I can honestly say that the homeopathic vet saved Indy's life. Before consulting with her, I thought I would have to put Indy to rest, I even had to carry her up and down the stairs. That was when she was 2 years old.

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks you guys.

Lisa when you mention Homeopathy, do you mean I should take her to a homeopathic vet now? Sorry, I'm just not up on all the Homeopathic stuff unless I get that info from you and Ruth.

I don't plan on vaccinating her again, regardless. I am just worried now she is going to have one of the more subtle reactions in the coming weeks now
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 08:44 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Quote: We took Jeni, my 7 year old Aussie to have her Rabies Vaccine this morning.
Contact your vet & ask for the vaccine bottle so that you can contact the manufacturer with lot information & vial number, get an itemized list of everything in that vaccine bottle - it may be a specific item or the combination that triggered the reaction, so knowing the ingredients, regardless of whether you ever intend to vaccinate again, may be useful in the future.

So glad to hear that she seems OK now, hopefully she won't have further reactions. (I would've brought her home too)
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 08:59 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: TMARIEThanks you guys.

Lisa when you mention Homeopathy, do you mean I should take her to a homeopathic vet now? Sorry, I'm just not up on all the Homeopathic stuff unless I get that info from you and Ruth.

I don't plan on vaccinating her again, regardless. I am just worried now she is going to have one of the more subtle reactions in the coming weeks now
I would see a homeopathic vet now, yes. I know that they can be difficult to find though.

I agree with Alto, getting all info now, in case you need it in the future. Also, make sure it gets reported.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 09:07 PM
Knighted Member

Thuja works very nicely.
Benadryl an hour before vaccines will prevent reactions like the one she had.
Be forewarned. In the US, you will never be able to legally bring her anywhere once her Rabies vaccine expires.
I get that the chances of her being exposed are slim.
However....
If she so much as scratches a person who visits your house, the state then becomes able to euthanize her. No ifs, ands, or buts. It generally depends on the mood of the animal control officer. In Ct, you can get a state exemption, but the responsibilty becomes yours not to let your dog interact with other people or dogs ever again.
If you choose not to vaccinate her, then be sure you know the risks involved.
Case in point. 2 months ago, Jethro, a super friendly pit bull was out in his yard with his family when a jogger ran by. Jethro ran out to meet the jogger, who began screaming and waving his arms. Jethro, being slightly over a year of age, started leaping and nipping. (I'm pretty sure he was looking for the ball. His kids play the same way with him.) One nip broke the skin before Jethro's mom had reached him. (A small scratch. We know the outcome of the hospital visit the jogger demanded. The whole ER visit cost $100, about the price to walk through the door.)
Jethro lives in a very rural town in eastern Ct. He generally plays in his back yard (5 acres) but this morning was planting flowers in the front with his family. All of his neighbors on his dirt road know him, and he has proved to be a good companion for everyone else's dog.
The jogger was a new neighbor, who had moved in 2 months beforehand.
Jethro's rabies vaccine had expired 1 month before this incident.
Despite our offer to officially quarenteen Jethro at our office, (we liked him) the jogger demanded he be tested for Rabies.
It was his right, and sadly, I got to help remove Jethro's head from his body and send it in to the state.
It sucked. Jethro's kids don't understand, Jethro's mom knows it was done out of anger, but it has been done.
We could fault the owner, yup. Dogs should be contained at all times, but Jethro lived in a neighborhood where he knew everyone, and he was just going to greet when the jogger misunderstood him.
Jethro was neg. for rabies.

Sar K-9 Tasha (GSD)
Sar K-9 Kolby (GSD)
Sar K-9 Skye (GSD)
GSD's Frodo and Ilan
Retired Guide dog Sika
Retired Guide dog Seda (and ruler of my Pack)
Proud to be a Fidelco Volunteer Puppy Raiser.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page