Advancing Heart Disease :-( - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Advancing Heart Disease :-(

Of all the things in this world that I could live without, I cannot imagine living without Indy

Just had Indy's follow-up with the cardiologist. Her grade II murmur has progressed to grade IV. And while that doesn't mean that her heart has worsened, in Indy's case, it does.

One of the "thingees" that holds her heart valve in place snapped, which is why the murmur progressed so rapidly. It was only 5 months ago that she was at a grade 2. The echocardiogram shows that she has passed mild heart disease, and now is in a low to moderate disease state. We recheck in 6 months to see if she has progressed to Congestive Heart Failure.

So those supplements I started to help the cartilage in the valve because her murmur became so loud, were started too late.

I hate facing the fact that she is mortal, and at this potential end stage, I have spent no time with her, due to circumstances that I can't control. Her world has become so small lately, it breaks my heart.

The cardiologist said it is most likely genetic, and since most that know Indy think that she has some whippet in her, that very well might be were it came from.

Tomorrow we run a blood panel for a baseline, and then start her on the ACE inhibitor Enaparil. I'm just crushed that it has advanced so quickly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 03:07 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Advancing Heart Disease :-(

Gsd's can have heart issues too, so who knows where it came from. I'm sorry to hear how she's deteriorated so fast. What does the Enaparil do?

Angela

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #3 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

right, it could be either. The mitral valve stuff, from what I can read, is really common in the smaller dogs, terriers and such

THe Enaparil is supposed to somehow strengthen the contractions in the heart. She says sometimes it can contract the heart and reduce some of the enlargement, but I get the impression that that's not common.

To increase cardiac output or efficiency, an After-Load Reducer (ALR) such as enalapril is used. Enalapril has many mechanisms, but its primary action that we utilize is the relaxation (dilation) of
arterial smooth muscles that decreases the resistance of blood flow out of the LV and into the Aorta, thus increasing blood supply to the body. ALR’s increase cardiac efficiency by decreasing resistance. Enalapril is the only drug proven to increase the life expectancy of humans and animals with MR.
http://www.seasidevet.com/InfoFiles/Mitral%20Murmur.pdf

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 03:16 PM
Crowned Member

Lisa, I am so sorry. I understand how you feel having spent all my time with Chama and now Cleo is so very ill.

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #5 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I know you do Ruth , thank you. I was thinking that I need to use you and Chama as a role model -- I need to find a way to make that time to get her out and about and enjoy the time with her. I don't know how I'm going to do that, but we both need it.

post #6 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 03:21 PM
Crowned Member

I am so sorry
hate it when crap like this happens to them you just want to make everything right for them

Dawn
GSRNE Volunteer
"A dog a day keeps the Doctor away!"

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
post #7 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thank you Dawn. We've dodged so many bullets, but I don't think that we can dodge this one.

post #8 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Crowned Member

I am so sorry to hear about Indy.
post #9 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 03:35 PM
Crowned Member

Lisa, I am so sorry to hear about this. Hopefully, her new med will help her and she will not progress any faster. Kisses to Indy from my family.

SBD Posejpal's Leyna, HCTs 6/16/2010
SBD Posejpal's Hades, 5/9/12

At the rainbow bridge:
Zappa 12/27/00-1/23/12 You are my heart, my soul, and my best friend. You will be with me always.
Zeus 5/9/12-8/13/12 You taught me strength. Run free.
post #10 of 111 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thank you both. We will do what we can to beat the odds, and delay what we can.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page