German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Archive 5: Health & Wellness (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/archive-5-health-wellness/)
-   -   Something is wrong... (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/archive-5-health-wellness/104960-something-wrong.html)

VectorSketcher 03-14-2009 10:00 PM

Something is wrong...

with Riddick, my 3 yr old GSD. Ok, in order to not make this too long here is the quick details:

My vet, the only one I trust, is unavailable until monday, the emergency vets here are horrible, they diagnose everything wrong.

Riddick's back legs are seemingly non functioning, just happened today, this morning he got up was walking stiffly, as the day has progressed he has lost all mobility within his rear area. I thought it was his hips as they are sensitive, but I can move them all over the place without them popping and without him whinning or crying. He just can't jump up on the couch anymore, nor can he walk down two stairs without dragging his lower body like a seal, very disturbing to see.

He is not in pain, not that I can tell, as he hasn't wimpered not once today.

He did not do any sort of strenuous excercising, or jumping for a few days, about two days ago he did sprint after my pup, could that have strained his rear legs somehow?

Trying to give you guys all the details, hoping someone has dealt with this before, he was perfectly normal yesterday, walking fine, going up and down the stairs fine, jumping on and off the bed and couch, this issue just hit him today and has gotten worse as the day has gone on.

Any insight would be very much appreciated, my husband and I are helping him go where ever he needs to go, but watching him drag his lower body is horrible, and we can't figure out what is wrong with him. He is getting xrays monday.

The truely puzzling thing is that he doesn't seem to be in any kind of pain at all, and he allows me to manuver his hips around with out a problem. A muscle issue maybe?

elginhaus 03-14-2009 10:08 PM

Re: Something is wrong...

In people, a muscle issue is painful. I don't think its a muscle. Could it be something pressing on a nerve to cause symptoms but no pain?

VectorSketcher 03-14-2009 10:16 PM

Exactly, your right. The no pain thing has us baffled, and Riddick is a whiner, if he is feeling something painful he lets us know, he is over dramatic, but with this...nothing. So confusing.

GranvilleGSD 03-14-2009 10:21 PM

I've seen similar happen with daschunds, usually a disc problem with their back. Usually this is serious and if not treated immediately can lead to them being paralyzed. Not sure what is going on with him but I'd take him to the vet ASAP if he were my dog.

Elaine 03-14-2009 10:22 PM

If this is a new thing, this is a vet emergency and you need to be driving like right now to a vet somewhere. This sounds spinal, either a blood clot or a slipped disc or something along those lines and needs immediate care.

DorianE 03-14-2009 10:24 PM

It could also be neuro which would mean no pain either. Regardless, it is spinal, nerve or neuro all something that cant wait till Monday. My opinion only!

Jeff_s 03-14-2009 10:50 PM

I hope all goes well.

Laura H. 03-14-2009 10:58 PM

The only situation I had that was somewhat similar, my GSD Rocky all of a sudden wouldn't walk, but he showed to be in considerable pain.

He was only about two or three at the time.

The vet took xrays & said it was his hips, he wouldn't walk up stairs, play, I even went so far as to call OSU to find out about hip transplants.

He was on anti-inflammatory meds. After maybe six weeks or less he was his old self again. I think he pulled a tendon or ligament in one of those back legs, or hip, the vet never even mentioned that.

So if could be something after strenuous play with the puppy. Hope everything turns out all right.

gshephlvr 03-14-2009 11:28 PM

I don't think you should wait until monday. If my dog had non-functioning back legs, crappy vet or not he would be going in for x-rays and bloodwork at the minimum.

even if someone had dealt with it before it doesn't mean its what is going on with your dog.

katieliz 03-14-2009 11:29 PM

the sudden onset and serious nature (dragging his lower body), of this condition indicates the need for veterinary care immediately. imho.