Problem Child - Lumbosacaral Disease - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Problem Child - Lumbosacaral Disease

I feel like I haven't slept in two days.

Brief history, no problems up until Wednesday night. I was in the back of the house and heard barking then a yelp, came out, everyone seemed fine. A couple hours later I find Ozzy laying in the diningroom seeming to be in discomfort, so I took him for a walk, poop and pee fine, bit of a whine when lifting his leg, I thought he pulled something chasing a cat........ Later that night yelps becoming more frequent as he moves around, first thing Thursday morning get him into the closest vet with imaging. They sedated him, did X-Rays and feel that he has Lumbosacaral Disease, of course nothing will really be known until we do the MRI, but the vet has sent the X-Rays to the University of Guelph.

I know very little about this disease, but what I have researched suggests return to normalcy is possible. So I want to know, since this is supposed to be prevalant in GSD's if anyone else has experienced or worked with this issue, have people been successfully able to avoid surgery using a chiropractor or acupuncture. Is a lifetime of meds what we have to look forward to?

Right now he's on a course of antibiotics, and cavolix (sp?) I didn't write it down this morning before I left. 10 days and at the same time he's supposed to do no stairs and have as much rest as possible. So we're doing potty breaks every three hours.

I'm having copies of the X-Rays sent to my regular vet as well as the University, I'm going to take him to a chiropractor next Thursday and of course I have been harassing the vet's office They learned pretty quickly if you say you are calling me in an hour, you better call me in an hour because I will just show up and demand answers. Or call you every five minutes until I get answers. (Oh yes, I am one of those doggy moms)

So, suggestions, places I can look for answers, I tried searching on this board, but I'm useless at it......

One amusing thing, if you can find one....... Dh and I had a disagreement this weekend about a door, we have a door that is from the diningroom to the stairs and landing to access the basement. I wanted the door taken off, I thought it was a stupid place for a door, dh disagreed with me, had I not been very busy with spring cleaning, I might have removed it myself, but reframing is a bit beyond my scope of renovation work Last night I thanked goodness, with Ozzy all doped on morphine and whatever else they gave him (his yelps are like a baby's cry) that the door was there because when I was attending to the other animals I could shut him off and make sure he didn't go down stairs. We're taking him out the front because it's two gradual stairs to the ground wheras the side is three steeper stairs and a small landing. So the door is still there, without the loss of heat to the basement when the stove isn't on the house is warmer (upstairs at least) and since Ozzy has never been crated he can still have the run of the upstairs, although we are getting black-out shades today and heavier drapes so he cannot see anthing outside and run or move too quickly.

We also have taken Jolly Ball away - JB wasn't supposed to be in the house, but dh is a sucker and good luck getting JB away from Ozzy when he's feeling well.

The vet did say it's very rare for it to appear so suddenly and so acutely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 08:46 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Problem Child - Lumbosacaral Disease

Oxana has lumbosacral stenosis (same thing?). She has pain meds and nsaids to alternate. She's ok for now. She does have some bladder issues as of now. Oxana was over a couple of months, I thought she was just slipping on the tile until I saw her do it on grass. I know they can do surgery to release the inflammation, but at 11 yrs old I'm not going to do that. If she were 6, 8, yes.

Good luck, it's not easy to deal with some days!

Angela

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I just called dh by accident, not looking when hitting the speed dial LOL, anyways he says Ozzy got up on the couch to sleep with him today, of course he did that Wednesday morning when dh and I were having coffee....... The vet did say we need to make him a bit leaner.

Have you tried chiro at all?

The medicine I gave him everything last night seems to have him pain-free, not even a yelp getting up from laying down, which was killing him yesterday and Wed nite, I have to give it 24hrs apart.... Surgery is the last resort for us, and then I want to know about the lazer surgery.

I honestly haven't noticed any pain over the last little while, he's been exhuberant Ozzy, no slipping, no pain, the only thing is he would cry when scratching his ears, I thought he was hurting his ears because he is my child I have to clip when he's sleeping, ever since he cut his paw open a couple years ago and had to go to the emergency vet he has been funny with his feet.

I said to dh, when Oz does it, he does it big, in 13 years Sandi's most expensive vet bill was $260 for her spay 12 years ago..... Yesterday alone was $400 for Ozzy......... And I'm sure way more to come. He really is my little problem child.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 10:32 AM
Crowned Member

To me the best thing for this is chiropractic care, from an AVCA certified vet -- I'm really glad that you are going there. My 11 year old mixed breed has received chiro care for probably 8 years now, Max for 5 years.

Of course glucosamine and chondroitin, but cetyl myristoleate will also help a lot.

I suspect that this wasn't sudden. It's an underlying disease process that only starts showing outward signs once it has progressed to a certain degree.

There are some of us that post in this forum that believe that these back issues are much more prevalent in our GSDs that most would think, certainly rivaling hip dysplasia, and perhaps even surpassing it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I just spoke with the vet - again I think they hate me. Just to update him that Oz seems pain-free now, is crawling up on the couch to sleep til noon with dh, ate a normal breakfast, drank water.
He'll be back into the vets on Wednesday, the X-Rays won't be at the University until Monday, so Wednesday the vet should be able to speak to the matter with us, plus I want him to re-examine Ozzy and we'll figure out where we go from there. Maybe I'm jumping the gun, we haven't even done the MRI and the vet said this morning there is a very small chance it could just be a one time thing.

Should I wait until Wednesday to start consulting the holistic vets? Should we X-Ray again on Wednesday? Obviously we're going to keep him quiet all weekend, which the drugs seem to do well....... My regular vet hasn't called and I know he has been e-mailed the X-Rays because I was cc'd. It took 6 X-Rays in different positions before they saw anything.

We have been doing glucosamine and Chondroitin for the last couple years, because of Sandi's age along with yucca. Should I be looking at other supplements as well? I think we should also start him back with hydra-therapy as well.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 11:29 AM
Crowned Member

Gracie was diagnosed with "lumbosacral instability" in October. She had stopped going up stairs, getting on the couch or jumping into the car. She would also kick her right hind leg out numerous times when trying to fall asleep. Her morning doggie stretches also weren't as "deep" as usual. The orthopedist wanted to do surgery so we went for a second opinion. That orthopedist did a chiropractic adjustment. We then started with a holistic vet who did another adjustment and then acupuncture. In 2 weeks the change was amazing. Gracie is moving and acting like a puppy again. She'll never do Schutzhund or herding as the sudden stop and pivot will put undo stress on her back but I think she's pretty happy being a house dog As an aside, we did not do an MRI. Gracie gets 2 cosequin ds capsules sprinkled on her food daily. Feel free to PM me if you want more info or to see her x-rays.

Jen, proudly owned by Gracie CGC, TD, TT, PT
DOB 1/19/2006
Into our house and hearts 3/18/2006
Her last breath 2/21/2019
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 09:52 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: JenM66.... That orthopedist did a chiropractic adjustment. ....
Wow, that is cool.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Lumbosacaral Disease - Monday Update

Just to let anyone who might be interested we had a very quiet weekend, except for one squirrel in the trees chasing incident on Sunday morning. We stayed on the main floor, not asking Ozzy to get up on or do more than the two stairs from our porch to the front yard until Saturday night, 3rd anti-inflammatory and pain pill. Once he was doing the stairs without hesitation etc. we spent the evening in the basement.

So there's nothing to report, or stress about until we hear back from the University. So no real update until Wednesday when we see the vet and then Thursday when we see the Chiropractor. I am very anxious to drop down his levels of pain pills.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 11:49 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Lumbosacaral Disease - Monday Update

Have you tried cetyl myristoleate?

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Re: Lumbosacaral Disease - Monday Update

Not yet Lisa, I started to research it when you mentioned it the other day, but haven't gotten as far as I should. Would you recommend it OK to give with the antibiotics and pain pills?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page