German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Archive 5: Health & Wellness (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/archive-5-health-wellness/)
-   -   We've joined the Staph club :~( (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/archive-5-health-wellness/102971-weve-joined-staph-club-%7E.html)

LisaT 02-11-2009 12:16 AM

We've joined the Staph club :~(

I had Max in to the vet today to recheck some kidney values and have the vet look at his nose. It gets crusty and pitted, but more importantly, it looks very swollen when you look up it.

The vet wasn't sure it would work, but she did a swab up the nose a bit, but couldn't get in very far. I was expecting yeast. I was wrong -- tons of staph, along with white blood cells. The vet said that the nose typically has staph, but the amount, with the white blood cells, tells us long term aggressive antibiotics.

I expect to talk to the vet tomorrow (Wed) and develop a plan.

Sigh. Has anyone beat this thing?

LisaT 02-11-2009 12:18 AM

Re: We've joined the Staph club :~(

Oh, forgot to ask....any idea of whether or not this is an issue if I'm around my dad, going through chemotherapy and thus immune-compromised?

Do I have to worry about Indy, since they lick each others' food bowls? Or does it stay localized to the nose? He does always have a runny nose.....

Northern GSDs 02-11-2009 01:23 AM

Aww geez, it sounds like you have enough on your plate already...

I think it depends on the type of staph that it is. Normally however, it should not be contagious I don't think from dogs to humans (as I think the staph that are usually dog related are not the same as those that are human related so to speak) and/or dogs to dogs unless the other dogs are immunocompromised. As for your dad, since he is on chemo plus likely (I am assuming) he may have a central type line for chemo access, you would need to practice good hand hygiene etc when visiting him anyways ut if it isn't the same kind of staph, I don't think it poses a risk to humans. I'm no microbiologist though and I would definately want to know what kind of staph it is specifically, for if it is a "human" type one, then that may be a different story.

I'm most interested in what you find out on this!

LJsMom 02-11-2009 07:12 AM

Lisa, I know this sounds odd - but could you post a picture of the swollen nose?

Sweet Mammy 02-11-2009 07:50 AM

OMG!!! My lab has a crusty ugly cracked sometime bleeding nose.... it comes and goes. right now its UGLY.... my husband said, its just chapped. I did take him to vet but the day we went (at least a year ago) it looked fine. YIKES.... yes please post a picture ... or I will try to get one of Lou'e nose............
Now Angel (8mo GSD) has had yuk coming out of her eyes the past few days, wonder if they are related! Guess I will call vet!

JakesDogs 02-11-2009 08:40 AM

Whoa - Staph is an all-comer, all-exposed kind of bug, depending on which strain. One of the reasons Staph is causing so many hospital complications and non-medical-setting complications is because it has mutated so fast. I've always jokingly said that my 'cause of death' would be some exotic zoonotic disease that is found to come from dog kisses. BUT I personally would observe a pretty intense hygiene for everyone at least until you see the culture and sensitivity results (they did do that, right?), and then until the abs were on-board a while. But that's just me.

Sweet Mammy 02-11-2009 09:27 AM

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...95/labnose.jpg

This is my lab's nose today....
sometimes bleeds...
does it look like your dog's infected nose?

WiscTiger 02-11-2009 10:24 AM

OH, Lisa I am sorry that you joined the club.

Lakota was I think the first dog on this board to have a Staph Infection in his nose. But his was mostly internal with just a little bit of sore at the bottom outside edge. I am a believer that dogs shouldn't get nose bleeds. So when I saw blood running out of his nose while he was laying down I called the Vet. We got in that morning and she did a quick peek up his nose with the lighted scope and then we talked. From what she could see the lining was all inflamed. So he stayed at the Vet and the game plan was to sedate him, x-ray to look for tumors or masses, if she didn't see them on the X-ray then she would do a Rhineoscope and possibly a sinus flush. Well she ended up doing the flush and said there was all kinds of gunk so she sent ot off to be cultured.

This was the long term Cephlexin treatment for my guy. First it was a pretty high dosage 750 mg 2 times a day for either 56 - 60 days. I know so many people are against using Pred. but sometimes 3 or 4 days of Pred helps take the swelling/inflamation down and makes the dog more comfortable.

No more problems with his nose, but he has had other Staph Infections just not that bad. I am also more heads up on when I think he has a Staph infection and we go get our second opinion (the vet) and get the ABX.

Val

codygsd 02-11-2009 10:39 AM

I don't think that Prednisone, being an immune surppresant would be wise in using while fighting an infection. You want the immune system as strong as possible.

My dog was being treated for a bulging disc with Prednisone until yesterday when an MRI revealed diskospondylitis. I'm now on Ceph. to fight the infection and trying to get off the steroid ASAP but have to ween him off and just using Tramadol to fight the pain.

JeanKBBMMMAAN 02-11-2009 10:46 AM

They are sure it's staph and not two of my fear diseases blasto or aspergillosis? (sp)

Sorry to add to the issue, just always think of those two things though it does sound like it's staph.

I'd definitely take the lab to the vet too.

I did used to take Kramer to visit my sister who had cancer/compromised immune system when he had staph infections and was on meds, but had her ask her doctor, and I asked Kramer's vet.