Electronic Training Collars - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 157 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 05:20 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Electronic Training Collars

This is going to be ongoing! After reading your posts and gathering more information based on your experience I have also written to Lou Castle for price information.

I am glad that I returned the e-collar that I had, there are many different types for diffent uses and I am not sure if mine was right for the situation. I hope that this thread keeps going, so much to learn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 157 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 08:49 PM

American Vet supplies has it for $184 at http://www.americanvetsupply.com/i_0...r+1+2+Mile.php

MightyPets has it for $189 with free shipping at
http://www.mightypets.com/product.asp?3=1366

On the Dogtra.com website you can look up dealers and I found well over 50 in the state of Wisconsin. Most of them are some kind chains named Gander Mountain and Mills fleet Farm.

Does that help ?

<M>

Mike, Sue, Tyler & Cody
Asa (F) - Longhair GSD (Black/Tan/Silver)
Kaiser (M) - Longhair GSD (Black/Silver)
Tank (M) - Chocolate MinPin
Samson (M) - Black & Tan MinPin
post #43 of 157 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Crowned Member

[ QUOTE ]
What is everybody's opinion on Electronic training collars, or e-collars or shock collars, as they're also known? Do you think they're an acceptable training method? In what situation, if any, would you use one on your dog? If you do use one, do you consider it a temporary training tool, or something you will continually use to deal with the problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

i feel e-collars are a training tool that can be very effective if use properly.

i personally used it to stop dakota from digging in the yard including her crazy behavior of kicking dirt, spinning, and barking at it. but other things went into this training as well.

how i used it: i first learned the behavior she displays by watching, watching and more watching what she would do before, just before, just starting, and during. when ever dakota was just about to start i would give her a "no, leave it" and if she continued on with it i would press the botton for about 2 seconds (3rd setting up is where it got her attention, 1 and 2 did nothing) so what to do now? i played with her and played and played. i also never let her out in the yard without me again.

for about 5 days she would get a verbal correction of no leave it and from the e-collar if she started to try to dig or kick. at first a few times when we first went outside. then only once, and then not at all. a few days past and she tried again, but one more vebal correction and e-collar correction and she never did it again. problem solved. and i never had to put the collar on her after about 1 month and she never tried to pick the habit up again. she was happy with the changes and so was i.

i feel you should be there and not the hide and zap thing. the correction should be coming from you and i feel they should know that. i think that helps in the situation where people feel that it can be interpted as a kid or dog giving the correction, i think the verbal correction is key with ecollar training. my thought, no different than prong corrections, other than a different feeling.

my dh zapped himself with it to the highest level the thing would go which i never used more than level 3, this one had 9 settings. and he sad its not bad and he has been zapped by electric a number of times in his field of work.

Angie

GSD: Forrest ~ 2/6/05-11/5/15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 157 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 02:13 PM
Elite Member

My friend uses a shock collar on her Basenji mix, but she felt it was a last resort. She owns a dog store and there are various dogs coming in and out all day, Logan is dog aggressive in SOME cases, and even after training, she finds that she can't follow through with the training sometimes. Usually she doesn't catch him or can't get to him at the right time. So she's using the collar for those cases.

Personally i am glad i don't have to use one. I am not sure that i would want to go that route myself. But i don't knock anyone for trying what they have to try to get the right results. As long as no dog is harmed that is.. and i know that the shock collars are only very mild.

Wendy

Proud Mom to

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-9yr old GSD

-5 yr old GSD
1 Teenager
& 2 Bratty Cats!
post #45 of 157 (permalink) Old 07-27-2006, 10:27 AM
Crowned Member

I was *this* close to ordering one - all I had to do was to send the check to Lou Castle for the order. But in the end thinking it is only used for 2 reasons neither which is primary.

One for training him to be off leash at the beach is not a priority, many other dogs are on leash too. Except for Carmel beach, there are leash laws on other beaches.

The other was cats out front - no matter how high the correction, Buddy will override it to jump the fence to chase the cat. He has a very high prey drive.

He is free in back and in the house - and on a tie-out in the front within a 3 ft cyclone fence for an hour or so a day.

In all other ways, he is well trained and well behaved. I have spent 2 yrs working with him both class and private and I think that we can live with what we got. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/01_smile.gif[/img]

RIP My beautiful Brindy

post #46 of 157 (permalink) Old 07-28-2006, 11:09 AM

Electroninc training collars are good if used properly. If someone doesnt know how to use it, dont go buy one and experiment.
I learned to use one while attending a school for pro dog trainers. I had classroom supervision when I learned and would not recomend anyone trying to learn it without having an experienced trainer with him or her.
In normal situations, I do not use an e-collar any stronger than what I would hold in my hand and use on myself. Considering a dogs pain tollerence is 10 times that of a humans, I just dont think a low shock that doesnt hurt me will hurt it. The thing to remember is a correction should be motivational, not eccessive.
I know people who train obedience and retrieving with them. They use a very low shock, if you even want to call it a shock at that level. Again the dosage the dogs get is motivational. And what is motivational for one dog may not be for another.
The younger the puppy when training begins, the less correction it will need. If you train a puppy before problems arise, the less likely it is to develope them later.
I hope I didnt leave anything out. If I did you and curse me for it. lmao
post #47 of 157 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 01:04 PM

I have used an E-Collar for about a year and it is awesome. I do not use any more stimulation than what a pull on a leash would be.
Where it comes in handy is when I go Backpacking in the woods for several nights, and he is off lead most of the time.
I would like to add that it should not be a replacement for solid obedience.
The collar was designed for hunting dogs and if you get a chance to see a video of how it is used to direct a dog at a distance you would be amazed.

See more of Zeus at....

post #48 of 157 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 01:42 PM

We have a hunting dog that my husband uses an e collar on....we've been debating on whether or not to use it on our GSD......???

Erin B.
Ali(gator) - Female GSD born 1-16-06
Jax - Male German shorthair born 11-03-04
Tac - Male cat found as kitten 10-99
RIP Max (4/98 to 12/02) and Bo (1/06 to 3/06)
post #49 of 157 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 10:49 PM
Crowned Member

Lots of hunting dogs have ecollars. Hunters see it not only as a way to control but also as a means to communicate. I think they're excellent if you need to communicate at long distances and if you're working through problems or you have a serious dog (not many will). I am a firm believer of "a tool for every dog and a dog for every tool" and, as someone earlier posted, "use the minimum required to get your dog to take heed."

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #50 of 157 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 09:34 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to krystaltiger

Jordan has an ECollar and it has been a great tool in furthing her training. I think that if one is properly trainined to use one that they can be very beneficial.

Before we got this, she had been in a couple puppy classes and obeidience classes as well and this was recommneded to us by a certified trainer that I completely trust.

I admit I was very skeptical at first and the weekend long seminar/training was very emotional for me. it was emotional because I just want the best for jordan and for her to be a well rounded great dog.

We started last november, and use it a lot...not so much in hitting the button, but having it on when we go out and about. She is great with her recall now (well almost always unless the neighbors are out that she loves) she seems to catch on quicker, and seems pretty happy with all the freedom she thinks she has.

Personally I would never recommend it to anyone who hasn't had their dogs in other classes as they are great ways to bond with your dog and teach you how to work with them.

Nor would I recommend them with someone who is at their wits end in training - they may take it out on the dog and thats not fair.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page