Electronic Training Collars - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 157 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 12:36 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Electronic Training Collars

I am not a fan and never will be, I cannot see the point. I have never met a dog as difficult as my own and if I can get her trained to the point she is now w/o the use of such a device than I believe most people could train w/o it.I suppose there are very rare cases when it could be used as a last resort, I would never consider it.

"You can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" -french proverb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 157 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 04:04 PM
Crowned Member

I do not condemn them by any means. There are many testimonials of wonderful success with them.

Buddy has been OB training for two years since I adopted this 'stray' at the shelter. He has done exceptionally well except to jump the fence after a cat or some other lure that might walk by. Solution: A tie-out (supervised!) in the front yard, free in the house and free in the back.

When dog walkers pass by after work, close the front door!
He seems to be mellowing out now and getting my msg!

Last night was interesting - he is allowed to carry my slippers around since he no longer chews them. But his saliva can soak them and I was ready to wear them last night.
He did not want me to have it and gave me the 'look'. In the past I would have argued with a NO but followed Milan's teaching. I sat down and held one end of the slipper with his holding the other until he gave in after about five minutes. No pulling, arguing, I was patient and waited him out. It was great!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/34_rotflmao.gif[/img]

He listened for me in my gf's woodsy back yard on Friday and checked back for me! YAY! But we both agreed that he would tolerate the shock for the chase of a cat! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/10_eek.gif[/img]

I would not let him run free in the woods without fence or on the beach. Not all other dogs running off leash are well mannered anyway so our situation does not warrant the e-collar. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/24_hello.gif[/img]
post #33 of 157 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 08:15 PM
Crowned Member

I had put a call into my K-9 Trainer leaving a message early last week asking if he does work with e-collars. Seeing this on his site now I can figure why he did not return my call!

[ QUOTE ]
E-Collars should only be used in extreme cases of disobedience and should never be used when there is aggression towards other animals or people. An E-Collar is a last resort training effort and never a foundational or fundamental tool for proper training. In the area of compulsion, a good trainer should always start with the lesser and build up to the greater.

We believe that the focus of training should be to break the will of the dog not the spirit!

[/ QUOTE ]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 157 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 04:45 PM
Crowned Member

After this last post, I received an email from the K9 trainer's wife. The instructor does indeed work with e-collars and they tried to call me but did not get my answering machine!

They were going to set up a private session at my home on Friday (from out of town) but I informed them that I had returned the collar.

There are not enough problems/lures/etc., to work with other than an occasional cat or a loose dog but he does not fight. Watching his body language and a correction if he starts to jump will do for now. It would have needed more than 1 single private session for the e-collar training. At 150.00 a pop! wow! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/10_eek.gif[/img]
post #35 of 157 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 10:48 PM

We use electronic collars when walking / hiking for distance control and safety issues. There's lots of livestock around us and the collars are always there on a long walk just in case. Collars are much preferred to someone shooting one of my dogs on suspicion if they did happen to take off. That said, I DO NOT agree with using a shock collar if you're not educated on the use of one, and I've never used one for basic obedience. That's a no-brainer. Any training method is only as good or as humane as the trainer.

Samantha
Mom to Ranny, Boley, and Marie
post #36 of 157 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 09:38 AM
Crowned Member

This is sort of OT but I decided to have the K-9 trainer come to my house on Friday morning and work with Buddy sans the e-collar. (as I mentioned, I have returned it)

Having to set up lures to get Buddy to jump the fence when overall it is quiet will be the challenge! A tad pricey for one hour but hopefully I will learn and gain from it and so will Buddy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP My beautiful Brindy

post #37 of 157 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 12:42 PM

*steps into the frying pan*

Ditto to everything MaggieRoseLee said

I think a lot of people are stuck with a picture in their mind ... of a dog with an ecollar on, an owner pushing the button yelling NO! NO! NO! while the dog cringes and jerks in pain and/or fear.

It's not like that folks ... it's all in HOW you use the collar .... I am not saying that there aren't some totally irresponsible or reckless owners out there that don't abuse the power of the ecollar, but if you understand the philosophy of how to use it positively it is really awesome to see them 'get it' ... and trust me, they get it quickly (as all GSD's do anyway) ... with massive tail wagging and looking for more !

On the other hand, if you use the collar as a negative punishment tool when they do something wrong or you want to stop them from doing something, especially aggression, it will go wrong ... that is almost guaranteed.

We use the Dogtra 200NCP Gold with Asa ... only after an hour in-home session with the trainer, where he showed US how to use it correctly first. Then three more in-home sessions with the trainer and Asa and us. the trainer is coming over next week for free .. to check on Asa and to fine tune our training. We also have an option to pay a few more dollars and can go to as many of his training classes at the local park as we want ... for the life of the dog. For free.

Mike, Sue, Tyler & Cody
Asa (F) - Longhair GSD (Black/Tan/Silver)
Kaiser (M) - Longhair GSD (Black/Silver)
Tank (M) - Chocolate MinPin
Samson (M) - Black & Tan MinPin
post #38 of 157 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 03:27 PM
Knighted Member

Where is the best place to order from? I've been debating about the Dogtra 200NCP.

Sandy
post #39 of 157 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 03:43 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I think Lou Castle has the best price.

http://www.loucastle.com/about.htm

He does not advertise but I got mine from him and he is an authorized dealer. I have yet to find it lower than what I paid.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #40 of 157 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 03:52 PM
Knighted Member

I did e-mail him a couple days ago asking about price and his opinions on that one, but I haven't heard back yet.

Sandy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page