Electronic Training Collars - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 157 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 09:20 AM
Knighted Member

Re: Electronic Training Collars

I think you can tell alot about a person when it comes to useing an e-collar.

I have seen them used a lot, with good and not so good results, depends on the person useing it and the dog it is being used on, and why!

Any collar that is being used on a dog is only as good as the trainer training the dog. IMO

I don't think an e-collar is cruel, I think some people that use them are. I could wreck a dog with a flat collar for that matter. And, (not that I have tried one on) have you ever rubbed your feet or hands on the carpet and touched something and got a shock? Did you get electricuted? From my understanding that is about equal to the shock a dog gets from an e-collar, different stimulations though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 157 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 05:41 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
And, (not that I have tried one on) have you ever rubbed your feet or hands on the carpet and touched something and got a shock? Did you get electricuted? From my understanding that is about equal to the shock a dog gets from an e-collar, different stimulations though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually at low stim it is more like the things a chiropractor puts on your back to loosen the muscles (the electrodes) IF you have had that experience. Tingly. The carpet zap my be what a high stim nick feels like - never tried THAT one.

And at the setting just above being able to detect it. And I have put the darned thing on my neck just behind my ears where the skin is more sensitive than the forearm.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #23 of 157 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 07:19 AM
Knighted Member

WOW [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/10_eek.gif[/img], alright Nancy [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/18_thumb.gif[/img]!

I wonder if they make those to train people? Wouldn't that be a lot easer, lol...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 157 (permalink) Old 05-21-2006, 05:08 PM

Hi What e-collar do you recommend? My dog loves to put up those hackles and bark at other dogs. He is not a fighter.
post #25 of 157 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 07:00 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Not sure I would use an e-collar for this without serious one on one guidance or even at all. Bad timing with an ecollar can escalate or create dog agression as the dog associates the stim with the other dog -- there is a real fine balance with this issue.

This, to me, sounds more like a job for desensitization techniques - and you can find plenty about dealing with fearful dogs in other threads.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #26 of 157 (permalink) Old 05-22-2006, 11:00 AM
Crowned Member

I am an advocate for e-collars for training in several aspects.

The first, as mentioned many times in this thread, is "crittering" - or any type of livestock chasing. I have horses, and have had a couple incidents where dogs have decided it is great fun to chase the horses. Totally unacceptable. Dogs get kicked. Horses can get hurt.

Another reason I advocate e-collars is that with a particularly strong or hard dog, a physical correction often can increase the fight drive of the dog. I have a dog who would not "out". That dog has some nerve damage caused by physical corrections done by a very strong man. He has had numerous tests and x-rays to determine why he will pick up a back leg and scream in pain - always elicited by a turn and twist of the head - or being driven by a less than physically skillful helper who cannot get him in the pocket and up. An e-collar is actually much safer than physically fighting with the dog. You cannot cause true physiological long term damage to his neck and spine with an e-collar.

I have also used it to correct inappropriate behavior and dominating posturing between 2 females. I will not use it on the two I have now as I do not believe it will help. Only careful monitoring and never letting them interact is safe.

I do not believe in it for force tracking. Or any short cuts in training. Great tool for right reasons and in skilled hands.

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #27 of 157 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 04:39 PM

I love the e-collar. I agree what's being said. It's not the tool, it's whose hand it's in.

The main thing I like about the collar is you can apply a correction without getting emotionally involved. There is no place for anger in a correction. Once you add anger, it's punishment and that's not right IMO. It's so much easier for me to repeat a command and press a button calmly then try and yank a long line..
I also have never personally given my dog a stim that I haven't put on myself first [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/05_biggrin.gif[/img] Call me crazy, but I want to know what they are getting. However, it's true I haven't put it around my neck..
To repeat it, it doesn't matter what you use, it's how you use it.
post #28 of 157 (permalink) Old 07-05-2006, 05:10 PM
Crowned Member

I am so glad that this topic is being brought up to date. I ordered one on my trainer's advice last March because of Buddy's jumping the fence. 'Last resort says the directions' and I chickened out.

After a few more jumps I re-ordered it back and it arrived on Monday still sitting in the box. I have done all training possible on Buddy but he will jump! and I have used a tie-out in the front.

I will now take it out of the box, play the video and read it carefully. The man at Tritonics said to call him anytime if I had questions. My trainer is out of state and not available but at least I will have the 7 day 'get used to wearing it' period is over. I am anxious to see other posts how people had positive results. He told me to test it in my hand to know how it feels.

~Anne

RIP My beautiful Brindy

post #29 of 157 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 03:00 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

You will be using it when you are out WITH Buddy, right? So you aren't actually training him not to jump the fence. But to 'come' when he runs to it and before he jumps over, right?

To be out with the dog, and train a 100% reliable 'come' is an amazing thing. REALLY make sure you read the directions, watch the video, do NOT make the dog 'collar smart' (means that collar is on him 100% of the time every time he's outdoors for MONTHS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These sites are a must for you to read:

http://www.dobbsdogs.com/library/obe.../rffintro.html

http://www.dobbsdogs.com/library/obe.../rffstart.html

http://www.dobbsdogs.com/library/obedience/rffcome.html

http://www.uwsp.edu/psych/dog/obed.htm#elec (has all the articles).

IF you do this right, truly understand the philosophy and are absolutely consistant. The point is your dog 'gets it' so quickly you RARELY have to activate the collar AT ALL or for more than a brief instance. And that's why/when the collar is such a 'miracle'. Not because you ARE using it all the time, but because you don't have to.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #30 of 157 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 03:54 AM
Crowned Member

Maggie,

I am sorry that I did not see your links and information until tonight.

After reading the lit and watching video, etc., I returned the collar today. I do not think that we have that much of a need for it. Buddy is calming down and I think that all will be fine.

Thank you!!

~Anne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page