Electronic Training Collars - Page 16 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #151 of 157 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 01:53 AM
Master Member

Re: Electronic Training Collars

I had the same understanding that they were and are only "against the rules" to use them on any dog club property here in germany.

Until I did the training seminar with Bernhard Flinks and him being (German police) made sure I knew that no they are illegal to use and best to keep mine covered even when only out walking with my dogs so people could not ask questions.

This year at the Boxer meistershaft in Holenlimburg (Sp) the #1 dog disqualifyed because someone saw the owner training her boxer with an E collar. (I was not there I heard from a member that did attend).

I hate it! It is like a "dirty little secret" to have an E collar on your dog!
So when people ask me I have a "dog handy or telephone".

Now on that note I swear at the cub I go to now I saw a visitor Friday with a E collar on his Mali! But I did not trust my eyes.

And I am too chicken to ask yet if I can use mine, I did at the boxer club I went too and I cannot tell you how they made me feel because I use one, but then I think that might be Boxer people in General (excluding any of course in Schutzhund)?

Because most boxer forums when you mention E collars what a mean horrid person you are for using one and you should never Shock a boxer!
One forum even says in the agree to these terms not to mention training with E collars and I did and they kicked me out.

Suzi

“Ein Leben ohne Boxer ist möglich, aber sinnlos.”
"A life with out boxer is possible but senseless"

uberhauptnichtwieder (Never ever again)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 157 (permalink) Old 03-31-2009, 11:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Berg Wanderer
Because most boxer forums when you mention E collars what a mean horrid person you are for using one and you should never Shock a boxer!
One forum even says in the agree to these terms not to mention training with E collars and I did and they kicked me out.
Do they think that because they stick heads in the sand that Ecollars will go away? What they're doing is FAR MORE DAMAGING to their beloved breed than discussing the tool. People are going to get and use Ecollars. If they're not allowed to discuss proper use, people will use whatever they think is correct. Often it's not and causes problems. If such discussions were allowed people, at least, would have access to the information.

These are the same folks who would burn books that they don't agree with.
post #153 of 157 (permalink) Old 04-01-2009, 01:45 AM
Master Member

Yes, Lou I know and agree with you!

Actually I feel that with the way training is going now a days (And I have seen this first hand myself) if your not using the E collar in training your working dog you're going to in the next few years be left behind the curve.

And I almost have to wonder about the "groups" here in Germany that made "E collars against the rules" or illegal on club grounds (I think is the actual term and yes clubs do get fined and training directors do loose their rights to train)

I recall hearing at one point because someone decided that my great grand pappy did not need one to train his dog then neither do we to train ours"!
(Not a quote just IMO)

Suzi

“Ein Leben ohne Boxer ist möglich, aber sinnlos.”
"A life with out boxer is possible but senseless"

uberhauptnichtwieder (Never ever again)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 157 (permalink) Old 04-14-2009, 04:50 PM

I use a shock collar like this one on my 2 year old GSD. My dad bought it when she was a puppy and I hated it. I would hide it so he couldnt put it on her. Well about a year and a half later (2 months ago or so) My boyfriend how has trained his own hunting dogs was tryin to get her to walk on a lease. I walked her every day for about a year with prong collars and harnesses and halters with no luck. She would just pull me around. Well I figured I would take my boyfriends advice and break out the collar. I put it on her and hooked the lease to her regular collar and off we went. Her pulling away.
I beeped the collar 4 times and then with the collar on 2 of 9 socked her. The rest of the walk no pulling. When she got ahead of use I would beep her and she would run back to my side.. ears up licking my hand.
Now my little brother can walk her with just a beep from me when she gets ahead...he doesnt get pulled.
And a few days ago we walked without a leash and now she gets to run in the park and woods and I dont have to worry about her taking off or biting someone or their dog.

Its wonderful.Most days I dont even have to shock her jsut beep a few times. And on the days I do shock her its usually only once and on leve 2 or 3 out of 9.

Now Bam can go out and its enjoyable.
I dont use it for obedience training just walks and when we are outside.

Bams profile::[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
post #155 of 157 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 08:02 AM

I've never used a shock collar. I'm a clicker trainer mostly, so my dogs were trained on a flat buckle collar. Milo, my first ridgeback, was trained with a choke, but I don't use choke chains other than for tying up fences or hanging parrot toys now.

I do have a hot wire running around my yard perimeter inside the fence line. I had a ridgeback (who has since passed) who did not respect the fence. She would literally pull up the fence fabric from the ground stakes and squeeze out (a funny as heck story about loose dogs in rural PA). That could not happen for a number of reasons (nuisance dogs, hit by truck, shot for chasing wildlife, etc).

Hot wires are awesome. Totally hand of God training.
Paula

qaStaHvIS wa' ram loS SaD Hugh SIjlaH qetbogh loD
(4000 throats may be cut in one night by a running man) Klingon proverb
post #156 of 157 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 09:56 PM

I agree the e-collar is a tool. It's too easy to criticize pet owners as lazy and too willing to use something easy. No one knows what someone else is thinking. My dog has a significant prey drive. We have deer who visit our yard daily; one day I was going for a walk with my guy and we came out from underneath a porch and, sure nuff, there stood a buck. Of course, he took off after the deer, right across a busy street and just vanished. I was lucky and relieved to find him after about an hour. Next day we were walking on a snowmobile trail. Two snowmobiles came flying down an embankment and headed for a highway they had to cross. Yep, there was my guy, took off like the Kentucky Derby start. Nothing I could yell would work in either case. At that point I decided to give the e-collar a go. Best thing I did. It took very little effort to correct the behavior. Only 2 hits in training and he now listens to my commands regardless of the target. The e-collar is a great tool, like any tool used wisely and correctly. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend one, but learn to use it first.
post #157 of 157 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 06:22 PM
Elite Member

Like all things we use, it is a tool. One best used to re-enforce something that the dog already knows. I have one, I love it. I don't use it often. I have seen dogs ruined on them but I have also seen wonderful sucess with them.

Laurie and the furkids Chaya CGC, Zander, and
Var (Ingvar vom Eichenluft), CGC, BH, FD
Feliz, Cody, Oki & Aja gone but never forgotten.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page