Your training goals - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 191 (permalink) Old 04-02-2004, 04:03 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Your training goals

WOW, I have been trying to post for 2 days now, but I can never seem to get it done so here goes.

Cheyenne (2 years old) completed Beginners, Intermmediate and Advance Obedience classes. I really didn't have any intentions on showing but I believe that we will be competing in AKC Obedience this summer. We are going to start tracking training with her next week. Since I got her at 8 weeks all she has wanted to do is follow tracks, now we have to teach her to follow the tracks we want her to.

DeeDee (will be 2 in June) has complete Beginners and Intermmediate Obedience. We started a little agility with her and starting next week she will be in Beginners Agility. I hope to be able to compete in some Agility events with her.

Lakota, (15 months) I was going to start Begginers OB with him and the first week of class, he was having his ACL replaced. So no formal training going on. Next week we were going to start some tracking training to give him something to do. I just posted in the Health section about blood coming out of his nose, so the tracking training will be put of hold I am sure for a while. With the weather being nicer, I will start working OB with him outside on ground instead of tile or a concrete floor where I train.

Val
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 191 (permalink) Old 04-05-2004, 02:33 PM

I would like to train Jake to pull a light cart. So I'm trying to get him used to walking in a noisy park with lots of distractions, including the occasional irresponisble dog owner. So far he's doing pretty well. The "Irresponisble owner" stimuli needs work, I don't want him to tip the cart going after another dog.
post #23 of 191 (permalink) Old 04-06-2004, 09:15 PM
Crowned Member

I am on hiatus (baby due in 3-4 weeks), but work on training with husband ( not training husband, dogs..., but that is an idea :-)).

Baer is semi retired due to 2 broken K9s. Lisa, I did do his breed survey (initial and final) after he broke the 2nd one, but no more SCH. Bummer, as he was trained for the SCH/IPO3 when he broke the 2nd one. So, I need to work on tracking with him for a FH.

Adie (Fenya's 1/2 sis) is on break. She will go for her IPO3 after her 1st (hopefully) litter late May. Husband trains her, from a BH up to the IPO3. Would like to get a CGC on her as well.

Husband is training two young males: one just got his IPO3 and he starts training the younger one for his IPO1. Has done basic foundation work, but wanted to let him mature a bit more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 191 (permalink) Old 04-07-2004, 06:30 AM
Knighted Member

We're starting Lucy's first formal training this weekend. My true goal right now (and I know this will take a while) is to move her up in obedience classes until she can take and pass her CGC test. She's only 15 weeks old, and I know each successive obedience class takes a couple of months apiece, but having a definite goal in mind will help DH and I to focus. After that, we want to see if she likes agility. But for the short run, I guess just teaching her to listen will be our goal!
post #25 of 191 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 03:17 AM

My dogs are for fun and companionship. My large Daddy dog is trained in attack, and knows German commands and sign language. He is now 10 years old, and pretty much just enjoys kicking back and having fun with his pup who just had his 8 year birthday with Cherry chip cake and frosting, with chocolate icecream. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The pup only knows english and a few german commands. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I'm bad at training him as I work all day and my work does not allow me to have my dogs with me as did my job in California when I only had the Daddy dog at the time.
post #26 of 191 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 04:36 PM

Currently I train for obidience, mostly just to interact with the dogs and keep them active. Once I feel that I have sucessful routine I would like to compete. Also the dogs I breed are companion dogs, two of the puppies out of the first two litters are currently competing and doing well, and another is on a local farm, herding. According to the new owners this dog has been the easiest to train and most obedient GSD they have ever owned. I feel that regular training has led to my dogs ability to produce excellent pups, I also feel it is my obligation to keep the dogs active.
post #27 of 191 (permalink) Old 04-08-2004, 10:11 PM
Crowned Member

My main goal is to have a well-mannered family pet. My second goal (sometime down the road) is to train Heidi to be a therapy dog. Right now we're just working on everyday obedience in all situations.
post #28 of 191 (permalink) Old 04-09-2004, 05:53 PM
Master Member

My number one goal for training is to keep up the bond with my dog and so he feels like he has a job. He currently has his CGC and HIC. We are going for a BH and then the CD. I would also love to get him therapy dog certified. That is all my current dog will be doing. I decided to pull him from the protection work in Schutzhund due to the fact that I don't think he can physically handle it anymore. The next dog will be used for Schutzhund (if it suits the dog), obedience, or whatever is fun for the dog and keeps us close.
post #29 of 191 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 06:35 AM
Elite Member

The icing on the cake is CGC and certification as a therapy dog
post #30 of 191 (permalink) Old 04-10-2004, 02:24 PM

We train basic obedience and Panzer loves it. The best is that he is such a better dog for the training. We still have some trouble with retrieval now and then when he is off leash, but he is getting better. We have also started some tracking, which he loves. I am interested in SAR, but really don't know where to go from the basic tracking we are doing. I have had alot of trouble finding a trainer where we live. I have the SAR book published by the american Rescue Dog Association that I have been reading and using, but . . . does anyone have some advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page