Your training goals - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 191 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 04:26 PM

Re: Your training goals

Well I have had Tonka in Puppy class, basic OB, and am currently in Rally-o class. I have also jioned the training club I go to with Tonka. I plan on doing as much as I can. Last Thurs. we did not have a rally class as they were haveing OB testing I stayed adn helped the tester with the setup and the props. I may do as much as I am able to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 191 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 04:33 PM
Crowned Member

I have taken Sam through Basic, Intermediate and Advance obedience. Now we are on a maintanance class. You pay a yearly fee and you can go twice a week for an hour of training, sort of to keep it up. If I can get Sam to where I want him too, sure I would love to go to obedience trails.
I also take Sam to agility and herding, I tried getting his first herding title back in Jan. but the lady never called me even though I had left her numerous messages. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] So I'll have to try next time. In agility, Sam has a way to go but again, if he becomes good enough, sure we'll compete! Soon I'm going to try tracking, can't wait!!! So anything that I can find to keep him busy. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I would love to try Schutzhund but I'm not sure if Sam is cut out for it, I guess I won't know until I try it. I have a lot of fun on these activities, shoot I think I have more fun than him, at least in agility, he does LOVE herding. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
post #13 of 191 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 04:45 PM
Knighted Member

Hey Carolina, I don't know that I'm cut out for Shutzhund training! [img]graemlins/rotflmao.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 191 (permalink) Old 03-30-2004, 07:35 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

My goals are all SAR based.

For Hanah well my goal for her right now is to keep her going. She is an operational Wilderness search dog so I continuosly train her for that but I dont have any desire to add different levels such as HRD or USAR with her. I know her limits.

Ike, well he is my little star. The dog is just so darn talented that I am tempted to try everything with him. But my main goal is USAR work. For those not fmailiar with the FMA standards, the dog not only has to be able to find people in rubble but they must be solid in Obedience on and off leash, go through an agility course with some of the craziest stuff imaginable, do directed sendouts and a load of other stuff. So I feel with the USAR training that I am getting to do so much with him. He will also be a Wilderness search dog and I will most likely cert him in H2O HRD also. I am beginning to think he may not be out of standard so I need to have someone eval him and see, but if he is not then once I get him cert USAR I will hopefully SchH title him and go for a KKL. I dont plan on breeding him but I figure that it would be a good experience for me to go through so when I do decide to breed I will have at least one under my belt.
post #15 of 191 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 07:17 AM
Master Member

My goal is to be able to play frisbee with Dynamo off-leash in the forest and know she will come when called when I need her to. That one remains a big fat zero.
In the meantime, we have her Novice A Rally Obedience title, and I'm starting Agility. I'm finding dog-sport obedience to be ten times easier than the real world, but at least there's some fun in it.
Oh, and eventually therapy dog.
But really, it all started because I wanted real world obedience.
post #16 of 191 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 09:01 AM

Honey is almost 9 months and has been a perfect dog thus far. She hardly barks and loves people and other animals, except for cats. We plan on starting her on some basic classes in the middle of April through Petsmart. We both wish we could shell out the $800 or so for obedience classes through a local outfit here, but with three girls and our youngest being 10 months old, it is tough to justify that price tag. I've heard that Petsmart does a great job and we're hoping that this will springboard her into even better behavior.
post #17 of 191 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 12:43 PM

I just got a female from the Northern Ohio German Shepherd Rescue. She is about a year and a half old. She is very smart and we have bonded well. She is doing well, and my male has not eaten her yet. But we have a problem as I am discovering. She is very hostile to people. After I got her, she did well at the vet's. My vet is a woman. However, I have 2 sons in college. When they came home for spring break, she was going to attack them. Have only had her for a few weeks. Male is completely trained. How do I socialize her? I am going to take her in the car to see that there is a world out there outside of her own territory, and to the park with a muzzle,not near people. Have her enrolled in basic obedience class to start in several weeks, but she may not be ok to go into a class with other people and dogs. Any suggestions?
post #18 of 191 (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 05:06 PM

My training goals, well first off, I've only been working with GSD's for a short time, so I'm not claiming any kind of expert knowledge here.

Anyway, I started puppy obedience with Neo at 12 weeks old. I brought him home in early June and throughout the summer we trained at least twice a week and I did my best to train at least once a day, usually twice a day. My schedule didn't allow me to do that every single day, but it was the norm. Neo got his CGC at 6 months old with no problems at all. Through the winter we've pretty much stayed with at least 2 formal obedience sessions a week, but again it's been tough with my schedule. Now that it's getting warmer, I hope to get back to a twice a day schedule.

In the long term, I'd like to get at least a CD title for Neo and if that goes well who knows, maybe a UD as well. I'm also seriously looking into SAR training. Neo's sire is a certified as both a Wilderness Sar and USAR dog. And I'm hoping to get out with his owner/handler and see what he thinks about Neo's chances of making it as a SAR dog. I'm also going to start some basic agility work this year, but geared toward SAR work and not competition.

Neo is still just 10 months old and we are currently training through a "hormonal" stage, hey you know how crazy a hormonal adolescent can be.. LOL!! but by next month all the details for beginning SAR should be worked out and we should be on our way. So, I guess we'll just have to see how it goes.

Our first GSD, Mara Jade, is just about 2 years old and she also has her CGC. Mara is also a certified therapy dog. My wife has been her primary trainer and it's her first time around as well. She's done a nice job with Mara and hopefully, Neo and I will be able to do as well as Mara has!

Anyway, good luck to y'all..

mavrick
post #19 of 191 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 10:48 PM
Crowned Member

Ooh I like this topic!

Kaiser - he is in beginner obedience now and will likely have to repeat that before we can move on to advanced beginner. It's his first obedience class (probably ever!) and he is doing pretty well in it but the class size is just too big and he gets distracted. I hope to possibly do a little competitive obedience with him, maybe earn a CD and definitely get a CGC with him. I'd love to get him into Rally-O but probably not agility.

Mystic - she is in beginner obedience now too and I will likely have her repeat it before we move on to advanced, she just needs a little more polishing and socializing before I feel she is ready. I want to do agility for fun with her this spring/summer and get a CGC by the end of summer. I want to take her all the way to utility if I can, high hopes for this girl! There aren't many Shiloh Shepherds involved in competitive obedience and only a handful in agility. But first before I can even compete I have to register her still, I'm slow!
post #20 of 191 (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 11:04 PM

My main goals revolve around SAR right now. I want to try to get Jazz certified (NASAR Canine SARTECH III) in the fall or early winter. I also want to keep up his agility training, and work on some more titles.
With Picker I want to get her trained for agility, and hopefully start competing in the fall. Assuming her hips are good... I also want to get her started towards her SAR certification.
Fenya, pretty much just keep up her agility training, and compete now and then. And maybe have some babies. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page