Rehoming - Would you do it? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Rehoming - Would you do it?

If you had a GSD who had an OK life with you and you loved the dog very much, but all of a sudden an awesome home would come up where you knew your dog would be even better than with you... Spoiled to death, be able to go to work with the new owner every day, etc. Would you rehome him/her even though you know you would have a hard time letting go?

I never thought I could, but unfortunately I've had to do it more than once now. First with my White GSD who was being harrased by my other dogs constantly, it was so bad she was petrified of coming near my other dogs and started pooping in the basement and licking her legs pink. I cried for months after rehoming her, but she is in a great home now and spoiled to death, doesn't have to worry about other dogs bulling her.

Then about 5 months ago I had to do it again with my Yorkie Tallan. Gala thought Tallan was a chew toy and had no respect for her. In fact, I could not give Tallan any attention cause Gala would get so jealous she would attack her afterwards. I could not keep risking Tallan's life and she was not happy and constantly afraid where she didn't even want to come out of my bedroom anymore (where Gala was not allowed).

Last week I saw Tallan again, I gave her to a family friend and she is so freaking spoiled it isn't funny and they love her to death! She has a HUGE fenced in yard to run in, a new sister that is her size and whom Tallan bosses around. I saw her so happy that I knew I had done the right thing for her.

Carolina Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 08:10 AM
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to mkennels Send a message via Yahoo to mkennels
Re: Rehoming - Would you do it?

I have done it twice myself both times wasn't easy either but it was that or alot of fighting, I still think about them everyday, (one died after being spayed) and the other one I can visit anytime I want too and he is so spoiled, I know I made the right choice but it is very hard still hard but know they are in great hands

Janet
UKC CH Mystical Talyn D'Argo, TT, OFA H/E, CERF, AKC DNA
UKC CH Gretchen Julika Little Star, TT, OFA, Cerf, AKC DNA
Von Hornberger's Mystical Knight, TT, CERF, AKC DNA, OFA
Ranita's Heavenly Angel R.I.P 9/15/07-10/15/08

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 08:15 AM
Crowned Member

Never... I'd have to be homeless before I'd ever consider getting rid of my dogs.. and then I'd try to work something out (temporary solution) with family and friends..

I've thought about it myself but could never do that to my dogs..

Leesa~

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) Forever in my heart ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, IPO 1, CGC (HOT)... Oberon v. Wildhaus, BH (HOT)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 08:29 AM
Master Member

Actually I thought about it. I had the same situation with my minpin layla. Kenzo was so jealous of her and after I pet her, he would go and attack her, and he was sneaky in doing this harrassment. When layla was a baby, she was so afraid of kenzo, she would never get close to him. Then kenzo found a way to lure her. He would come with a toy inside his mouth and try to lure layla, in order to take her away from me and harrass her when I'm not her. This is freaking INTELLIGENCE. That is when I understood that Germanshepherds are so darn clever or something else in intelligence. But because of this, I regret to say I couldn't pay enough atatention to layla. This still makes me so sad at times when I think of this. I thought rehoming her, but I couldn't. It is a very hard decision to make. But I think under such circumstances, we think of our feelings first (human nature of course..EGOISM), then the good of our dogs. I couldn't do it. I would really admire someone who can do this under right conditions.

Musa

Musa

My Kenzo 07/2007-11/2008 RIP My Baby Boy

Laila Pester-ella (the evil minpin) DOB:11/2007

post #5 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Musa, I understand completely, trust me, rehoming my dogs was never easy, but like you said, I had to think of my dogs' well beeing first and not me. Us people can be very selfish some times or worry too much about what other people might think.

I have no doubt they are living better lives now and even though I still miss them I don't regret finding them better homes because they deserved the best.

Carolina Johnson

post #6 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 08:39 AM
Elite Member

In my mind, I would say I could never, but if a situation happened where it was uncontrolable yes I would, but again I feel like G-burg, I would have to be homeless. Again, I have never been in the situation though so I do my best not to judge those to that rehome. It has been such an epidemic it really is sad.
post #7 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 08:40 AM
Crowned Member

See I would mange my dogs time better.. There are many things you can do so one dog is not attacking another and still give each dog quality time..

Leesa~

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) Forever in my heart ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, IPO 1, CGC (HOT)... Oberon v. Wildhaus, BH (HOT)
post #8 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

It is always easy for people, who are not in your shoes, to judge you. When you have a full time job, live alone with no help and have a bunch of other stuff going on in your life, it is another story.
Again, I was one of the ones who always said... I have to be homeless first, until you I found myself in that situation. Then it is when you have to decide what is best for THE DOG!
Why have a dog crated for hours on end when he/she can have full attention and run of the house with a loving family for example?

Carolina Johnson

post #9 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 08:48 AM
Master Member

I respect your decision for re homing your dogs. I definitely think that I would be able to do that if it was in the best interest of my dogs. Why would we want someone we love to be in a situation that makes them miserable everyday?

I really think that Never say Never is a good mantra for people. No one really knows how they would react to a situation until they are in that situation.

Mom to 4 girls
Marley - 1 yr GSD
Sampson - Chesapeake Bay Retriever 11 yrs
Precious - Witch kitty 10 years
Nike- 1yr Pound Puppy
Tinkerbell- 9 mo kitty
Lucy - 6 mo GSD - At the bridge
post #10 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: ShellyGI respect your decision for re homing your dogs. I definitely think that I would be able to do that if it was in the best interest of my dogs. Why would we want someone we love to be in a situation that makes them miserable everyday?

I really think that Never say Never is a good mantra for people. No one really knows how they would react to a situation until they are in that situation.
Exactly!!! Rehoming my dogs was not a decision I made in a matter of days, it was a matter of months, till I realized how miserable they were. Why put them through that? Just so you can show the world what a GREAT owner you are because you would never get rid of your dog? Well I'm sorry, to me a GREAT owner is the one that puts the dog's well beeing before anything else.

Carolina Johnson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page