Rehoming - Would you do it? - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 11:43 AM

Re: Rehoming - Would you do it?

To answer the OP: I can't at this time imagine a situation that would cause me to consider rehoming either of my dogs, but I would certainly not hesitate to do so if it was in their best interests. If it was just a case of the dogs not getting along together, I would keep them separated at all times (which is what I'm doing right now). It's really not a big deal for me, I guess.

-Sarah

Amara CGC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CGC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Crowned Member

We have not had to do this, but I would not condemn anyone who chose, with good reason, to do this. And the good reason is for the best thing for the dog. Another breeder that I know on this board just went through it and it was agonizing for her, but the best for the dog. The dog is VERY happy in her new home, her new family loves her.

"That is the point. Is the life you have with the dog better than the life someone else could give them? If not, then it's just plain selfish to keep the dog."

Very good point. It is about the quality of life for the dog, no matter what.

I would not be so black and white about people’s decisions. There are probably more there than meets the eye and what has been posted. We do not know what people have done prior to this final point to try to avoid getting to this decision. There have been people on this board that had been very adamant and critical about “ I would never do that” and then have quickly changed their minds when a situation has come up that directly affected them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #53 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Smithie86
It is about the quality of life for the dog, no matter what.
That is the ONLY reason why I rehomed my dogs.

Carolina Johnson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 11:58 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote: That is the ONLY reason why I rehomed my dogs.
Okay so here's question... And you don't have to answer it if you don't want too!

What made you re-home the prior 3 dogs that were there the longest? Why did you not re-home or return Gala? Since she is the one causing all the problems? Or Sam?

Leesa~

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) Forever in my heart ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, IPO 1, CGC (HOT)... Oberon v. Wildhaus, BH (HOT)
post #55 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Crowned Member

Do we really want to get into this? As it is borderline bashing, the same question could be turned around so I don't really think we want to get into this publicly.

Angela

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #56 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Crowned Member

good you are not being judgemental...

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
post #57 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 01:07 PM
Crowned Member

Is there something going on behind the scenes here? I think the questions are in line since there were asked to the original poster who started the thread under the discussion topic.

I have seen people say this is what I would or would not do I haven't seen anyone say that someone else is a no good SOB for doing it differently.

<Shrug>

Betty

post #58 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 01:14 PM
Crowned Member

I agree Betty....I don't see anything wrong with that question either? I read it and thought it was a legit one and not "borderline bashing" especially considering how Leesa phrased it.....

It's obvious that the op cares about all her present and past dogs and makes sure any she has had to rehome go into a good home.

I don't think there is any right or wrong answer here......

Mom to:

Quiki vom Dreieck
aka Maya, TDI ~TC ~ CGC ~ TD ~ UDT

Fenja von Wolfstraum
aka Heidi, TDI ~ CGC ~ CD ~ BH

Gass Moravia Artex
aka Chico, BH ~ AD ~ SchH3

RIP- Roxy, Boone & King
post #59 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Crowned Member

Life would be so much easier if there were more right or wrong answers!

LOL

Betty

post #60 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 01:41 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Betty101Life would be so much easier if there were more right or wrong answers!

LOL

Very true!

I think each one must make thier own personal choices based on the needs of the human family, the ability of the primary caregiver and the dog.

I have re-homed one dog and one cat. Each one was very difficult.

The cat is living the life of riley with our admin assiatant. She jokes that we got him so we would be able to to give him to her. He is happier with her than he was with us and my other pariah cat is not living in terror under my bed. How can this be bad?

The dog was a rescued GSD that was on her 4th home in 18 months. She was so needy and so insanely jealous that my old dog was at risk with her life and Max hid behind the sofa most of the time. I had horrible guilt and cried like a baby when I returned to rescue after a 6 month - literal- war zone in my house. That was over 6 years ago. The old dog died a year later, could I have waited her out? Yeah maybe but how do we know when they are to die? BTW the rescue was donated to the St. Louis MO PD. She is a detection dog. She is there and has succeeded partially because of the work I did with her. WIN-WIN!

Never say never or always.

Today - having more experience and better ability to deal with a greater range of issues perhaps she would still be in my home. Perhaps not. She was a dog that really NEEDED a full time job.

Judge not........

Kathy

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
PTE,AG2,AN,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UACH,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,AX,OAJ,NF,RE,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page