Rehoming - Would you do it? - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Rehoming - Would you do it?

Leesa, I didn't, but as I pointed out, many others would have PTS for a fear biter instead of controlling it.

Angela

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 11:18 AM
Crowned Member

I too have a fear aggressive dog at my house and know what you mean. I think working with a dog versus euthanizing it is a different issue from what people are saying on this thread though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #43 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Daisy1986, I believe there is always the right home for each dog, you just have to find it, it may take a while but if you try hard enough, I think you will find the right home. I would try and find as many JRT boards as possible and see if anyone with JRT experience would be willing to work with the dog, or know of someone who could.

Carolina Johnson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Knighted Member

Thank you for your respone GSDBESTK9.

We had a JRT before. She just did not have this drive. I have heard and read about drive...this is just my first experience with it. Wow! I know someone in the sporting world would LOVE him.

I am trying to stay sympathatic to his needs. I know he is just as frustrated as I am.

To find him a home that someone could work him would be wonderful for everyone. (OR maybe open a mole hunting business), he got one the other day, it was unseasonably warm, yikes he is a lighting fast!

He just seems to be getting worse here instead of better.

~Kelly
Shelby (Tabby cat, 14 yrs old)
Lady (Golden Retrive Spaniel mix, 10 yrs old)
Bella (Beagle 8 yrs old)
Shadow (GSD 4 yrs old)
post #45 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to Nikkoli110

My parents lab (my former family dog) is a nut case. He's way overly protective of my family, and growls at stranger coming into the home, even if they are a friend. Our vet actually told us he was a dog that she would probably recomend be put down. But to us, he is a loving, loyal, and sweet dog. They couldn't put him down because he's a nut, they just control the situations he's put in. We put him in a crate in a separate room when people come over. We have a very secure fence that he's in, even though when off loose he won't leave the property, and if he does, he's usually normal when on leash out and about. I'd feel like a real jerk if we had put him down just because he was an inconvience. And yes, we did socialize him like crazy as a pup. He went out everywhere with me, to people's houses, we had people over, but as he hit around 9-10 months he was just a an overprotective nut.

Nikki
Proud Mom to
Katie black & tan GSD 3 years old
Titan all black GSD 2 years old
post #46 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Daisy1986

I am trying to stay sympathatic to his needs. I know he is just as frustrated as I am.
I'm sure most of his problems you describe are coming from his frustration. If you could find him a home where they would do some type of sport with him, I'm sure he would be much happier.

Carolina Johnson

post #47 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 11:35 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote:Breeders rehome dogs, so I guess that makes us scum and everyone else saints?
If that's how you feel! But I never said that!

Nor have I knocked anyone for re-homing their dogs, that's there prerogative nor am I against it... Nor do I feel I'm a better person because I won't re-home mine.. and definitely not for the reason Carolina listed..

Like I said some are reading way to much into this thread..

Leesa~

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) Forever in my heart ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, IPO 1, CGC (HOT)... Oberon v. Wildhaus, BH (HOT)
post #48 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 11:36 AM
Crowned Member

My dog's wellbeing and happiness comes FIRST.

1. If my home was unsuitable and the dog was not happy, and
2. Another home was ideal re wellbeing/happiness of the dog, then

yes.

Having said that, my home WAS unsuitable(highrise in metropolitan city) so I moved to a cute apartment in the country. Not everyone can do that, or should.

Right now, I can say this: I *will be* an even better home for Grimm in about 1.5 - 2 years. Right now, his adolesent intensity craves more action, more adventure, more thrills.. he's a teenager and I'm 42 with health issues. I currently do the best that I can for him. By the time he is 3.5 - 4 and more settled, he will be perfectly fulfilled with the level of excersise, playtime, training games, and resting together that we share even more. Then, we will mesh together even better.

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, aka "The Doofinator"
My strong-minded, very loving boy
post #49 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Crowned Member

But when comments are made that appear to be judgmental from other posts (in general here) I don't see where that's reading too much. I'm throwing other information out there for people to see it's not always black and white no matter how much we would like it to be.

End the end you have to do what your conscience and your morals allow.

Angela

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #50 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Master Member

I did not plan on chiming in until I read the above post about the Jack Russell Terrier. Please feel free to PM me.

As for the question- I have re-homed 2 dogs as an adult. I say it that way because my bleoved Schipperke was given away when I was 12 and I was not given a choice in that matter. I was heartbroken and wanted to die.

The first dog I rehomed was my beautiful, wonderful JRT named Tori. It is a long story, but suffice it to say that I had no choice. I was a stay-at-home mom with a newborn and a 2-yr. old who was very young and very ignorant to different methods of training that I could have used to help her wildly jealous behavior after my second son was born. I was not looking to rehome her, but I was approached by a family friend who knew her and her brother. I did it. I suffered with severe guilt for several years. I would not get another dog. I was so devastated. Eventually, I got into rescue and my Sophie healed my heart. I did not take Sophie until I had checked with Tori's family. If they had been willing, I would have taken her back. I didn't ask for her and she was doing wonderfully. I was the one who was a mess!

My second re-homing was just as difficult. He was a foster that we kept and for health reasons, he began to need someone who could be with him 24/7. I tried to get my boss to let me bring him to work, thought about quitting my job. Then, God sent Bosco an angel and I let him go to a new home. It was so difficult on my boys. But, I let them make the decision. They were 6& 9 at the time. If a child can be selfless enough to give up their dog so he can have a better life, then so can I. I was never more proud of my boys. They learned a true lesson of how to put the dog's needs before their own.

I will not judge anyone for rehoming. But, I do think it is a case by case basis.

"Dogs are our link to paradise.To sit with a dog
on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back
in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--
it was peace."
Milan Kundera

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page