Rehoming - Would you do it? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Rehoming - Would you do it?

I've done it twice too. In both cases because of SAR, that's why I'm so insistent in the commitment it requires when someone ask for information.

First time it was my first very own dog, a Border Collie named Chemukh. After several years of training it became obvious she was not cut for he job. I wanted to keep her anyways, but I lived alone, in little studio with no car, and if you know BCs, you'll know that it is not enough for them, specially for one who has been used to go to hike, camp and train every weekend and a couple of trips to the on-leash park was not near enough. She was a dog that needed a job to do and I had to make the decision of looking a working home for her or quitting SAR to do something like agility with her and... sorry, but that is not an option. She is now doing agility, living in the country with lots of space to run and a pack of other dogs to play, sleeping in the bed of her new owners. I kept working with her while living in her new home as she was also my TV dog and that was the agreement, but she's officially retired now as the owners had been nice enough to keep bothering them. Her actual owner is also known as the public prosecutor of the animals, in every mayor case against animal abuse or endangered species traffic, he's behind. I can't think of a better home.

In the second case, Auca is probably the better dog I've ever owned, a mix I've always liked of GSD and Belgian shepherd and the most gorgeous dog ever. I raised and trained her in SAR and she is darn good at it! So when I had to move 1600 km. away looking for a job I had to take the decision of taking her with me to be my pet, training for some obedience in a city where there is not even competitions or to leave her behind, working as a SAR dog with another handler.

It was, it is! extremely painful, specially because he first handler didn't worked, later this guy somehow let her to become pregnant (and he was kicked off of the team because of that) and during all that time I thought she would be better with me, but at the end, in this case is not about me and is not even about the dog, is about he big scheme of things. From the moment I trained her to SAR she was not mine anymore, I signed the agreement. She passed our local certification test and has been on her first real search. Now I'm working with Auca and her new handler preparing her to certify through IRO in April and there is no minute I do not somehow regret not keeping her, she's all I like in a dog, but as long as I'm not living in Santiago I can't be her handler and she is and should be, a SAR dog.

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 10:54 AM
Crowned Member

Boy some are reading way too much into this thread..

As I said before Carolina posed a question and I answered..

Leesa~

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) Forever in my heart ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, IPO 1, CGC (HOT)... Oberon v. Wildhaus, BH (HOT)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Crowned Member

I don't think so. You are talking about rehoming. Rehoming is rehoming no matter what shade of grey you want to look at. Breeders rehome dogs, so I guess that makes us scum and everyone else saints?

You said" Never... I'd have to be homeless before I'd ever consider getting rid of my dogs.. and then I'd try to work something out (temporary solution) with family and friends..

I've thought about it myself but could never do that to my dogs.. "
and "I can pretty much say NEVER!!!! unless I was homeless!"

but what about putting down a dog? people do it all the time for one reason or another but better to put one down than rehome it and I know people on here who have done it. So that's better than rehoming?

just asking for clarification here.

She asked, I gave an opinion as well.

Angela

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 11:00 AM
Elite Member

Wow, interesting discussion going on.
My first thought was that if you are in a multiple dog household I have to think it would be easier than if you are rehoming your only dog? (that is the perspective that i am coming from)

i'd have to agree with many others out there. I want to say that I would never, but i do not feel that i have any right to any kind of "judgement" towards someone who has. (although some cases DO warrant judgement... ie, an irresponsible owner getting a puppy because its cute and with no prior research, doing no obedience or training, and then getting rid of it because it misbehaviors or got too big, etc. although those people don't bother with the "rehome" and just dump in the shelter, or worse, the streets).

I can't imagine how unbelievably hard it would be to do it. i bet that knowing they are in a better place probably helps, but still- i don't know how i would handle it (emotionally/ mentally). Then again, Riley is currently my only dog and it would leave a HUGE hole in my life. If had more than one dog, the big hole maybe would not be as apparent.

-Sarah owned by my long coat clan:
my first love Gretchen vom Alpenhof (aka Riley)- born 3 Feb 2008
my first boy Garth Vader vom Haus Kohl (aka Vader)- born 2 Nov 2010

post #35 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote:It's no different than when you do have to put down a dog for health reasons as to what is BEST FOR THE DOG. If that is being put down for health reasons, or being rehomed due to a hostile environment, it's still what is important to the dog.
I think that's absolutely true up to a point. In a case where someone had a major medical emergency, say become paralyzed, and realized they could no longer take care of their dogs the way they needed to be cared for then yes - rehoming is what's best of the dog, the dog's need is the priority - all as it should be.

Where I do not have the same feeling are all the "best for the dog" situations that show up every day where the owner wants to get rid of a dog because of a lifesyle choice that they themselves have made irrespective of what's best of the dog. I see those all the time in rescue - "we moved and the new house doesn't have a big yard" "we are traveling more now and just don't have time" etc. If someone voluntarily makes a lifestyle change that results in a decline in circumstances for the dog, they aren't making decisions based on what's best for the dog, they are doing what they're going to do, irrespective of what's best for the dog and asking the dog to make the adjustments. Very different situation IMO.

post #36 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Crowned Member

Yes, for the sake of the dog I would absolutely do it. Kind of the same thing that has happened to me with foster dogs....I do get attached but know that the dog in their new home will have even a better life than I could give.

Mom to:

Quiki vom Dreieck
aka Maya, TDI ~TC ~ CGC ~ TD ~ UDT

Fenja von Wolfstraum
aka Heidi, TDI ~ CGC ~ CD ~ BH

Gass Moravia Artex
aka Chico, BH ~ AD ~ SchH3

RIP- Roxy, Boone & King
post #37 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 11:05 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote: but what about putting down a dog? people do it all the time for one reason or another but better to put one down than rehome it?
YES! If the dog is a nut job, a liability to where people will be harmed or seriously injured..

Leesa~

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) Forever in my heart ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, IPO 1, CGC (HOT)... Oberon v. Wildhaus, BH (HOT)
post #38 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Crowned Member

But what about those that aren't, those that would just do better as a single dog home or one without kids?

My 12.5 yr old female is a fear biter. She is spayed, has never been bred. She's been a fear biter since we got her. I just learned to put her in another room if people were over. Never rehomed her, though many people would've done that or worse put her to sleep. I just learned to control her, but not everyone has the time or patience to do that. Yes she is a liability, but she's still here.

Angela

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #39 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Crowned Member

YES, if the dog was a nut job.. and to me a fear biter is not a safe dog..

Leesa~

post #40 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 11:12 AM
Knighted Member

Very grateful for this thread.

I am majorly struggling with this decision right now.

A Jack Russell Terrier we rescued 3 months ago. He is a TRUE terrier and has every major dog problem you can think of, he digs, he pees in my house, he barks most of the time at squirrels, birds, etc., he chews EVERYTHING, he sheds, he has bitten me and my DH, TO many times to count, my GSD Shadow has attacked him twice now (once severe), he bullies and trys to dominate my other 3 dogs, and he wants to kill my 11 year old cat (first born) who is now confined to a room scared out of her mind, she used to have the run of the house (I even got her and my other 3 dogs to get along).

He has to be crated most of the time.

I had a whole thread in aggression about him. I have tried a lot of things. There is still MORE to try.

But I have 3 children too.

This is stressing me out to the point I am getting physically sick.

Also, finding someone to take him. OR should I?
My DH said, we cannot give this dog to someone as aggressive as he is.
The 3 rescues I have tried are full.

Sorry to dump here at the risk of high jacking a thread. I am just beside myself.

Also I do not want to be all the other bad owners who use all the reasons above to dump their dogs. I want to be part of the solution and rescue, NOT part of the problem.

If I could find a working home, someone would did a JRT sport, like earth dog, etc. I would give him to them. He would love that.

If I still have him this summer that is what I want to do for him.
This is killing me.

~Kelly
Shelby (Tabby cat, 14 yrs old)
Lady (Golden Retrive Spaniel mix, 10 yrs old)
Bella (Beagle 8 yrs old)
Shadow (GSD 4 yrs old)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page