Rehoming - Would you do it? - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 09:46 AM
Elite Member

Re: Rehoming - Would you do it?

Clearly from the postings above you can see that it is always situational. Sometimes an animal is better off elsewhere. This is not the same as dumping them at a shelter. You are actually placing them in a new home, ideally one you've checked out and feel strongly that is is a better situation. You are not wrong for keeping a dog to the end, that's what most of us expect to do. But when many of us take on new animals to save them from uncertain or grim futures, occasionally you are going to get in a position where one of your pack needs a different situation and finding it is a better thing to do.

Clover - GSD 9 yr old Rescue
R.I.P. Spats, Sophie, Emmie, Pooh Bear, Rogue, Max and Patton

Remember, if someone has a problem with you.........it is in fact their problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Crowned Member

I'm answering this as a weekly discussion topic, so this is not directed at anyone, just the issue and question.

I think I'm with Leesa. I see so many people giving up dogs and so many of them have "reasons" even good reasons, but too often they use those as justifications to do what they actually want to do to make their own lives simpler, rather than put the extra time into making the situation work.

In the event that I had two complelely incompatible dogs and there was no way to do separate rotations or something to keep everyone safe and I absolutely HAD to rehome a dog then I would place the dog I had brought in most recently. I made a choice to bring the new guy in to the older dog's home, and it was his home first, so he shouldn't be the one to go. I sort of had that happen once with a foster I had planned to keep. I loved him so much but he and my Rottie absolutely couldn't get along and keeping them separate proved impossible in our new house.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #23 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 09:51 AM
Master Member

I've rehomed one dog, but not because of behavioural problems.
When I lived in Texas, I shared a house with a girlfriend and her son. My Aussie and her son formed a very strong bond during that time. We all moved to Connecticut where she and I met our respective husbands. When she and her son moved out of the house we were sharing in Connecticut I gave Merlin to her son because they were so close. Merlin had always been a fantastic kid's dog and I felt that both her son and the dog would be happier than if I kept the dog. We're still close firends and Merlin was happy until he passed at 15 years old (about 10 years ago). It wasn't a easy decision, but it was cetrainly the best decision for the two of them.
Would I rehome my current dogs? No.

Johanna

Aodhán (GSD)- Mar 2002
Caleb (Quill vom kleinen Teich) - Mar 2009
Rica (GSD)- Nov 1996 - July 2009 RIP
Max (GSDx) - 1983 - 1998 RIP
Kelly (GSD) - 1986 - 1996 RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 09:53 AM
Crowned Member

I've done it with a cat and it's been done to me! With my cat, I already had two cats and this third cat bonded with my housemate, she was obsessed with him. So when she moved out I let her take him, after she'd proven she was responsible. My GSD Kenya was basically rehomed to me. The breeder owned her for a while, then gave her to a friend who trains and competes in agility and Kenya was going to do agility. Kenya had a bad experience under their supervision (totally an accident!) that made her shy and very fearful of men, so they thought it best she stay with the breeder b/c she was terrified of the husband. Then she was re-homed to me so I could focus on her and do trials with her.
post #25 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 09:59 AM
Master Member

Yes, my Mya has been in her new home for almost two weeks. Her new family and I email and have talked on the phone. She is so spoiled and loved. Somehow even more then she was with me

Heidi-GSD- RIP
Dutchess-GSD RIP
Sadie-Lab-Silly girl
post #26 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 10:04 AM
Crowned Member

I tried to rehome Roxie (icon pic) but I couldn't find a suitable home, too old for a k9, too drivey for a pet home, too used to a house to go back to a kennel

post #27 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 10:05 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote: Exactly!!! Rehoming my dogs was not a decision I made in a matter of days, it was a matter of months, till I realized how miserable they were. Why put them through that? Just so you can show the world what a GREAT owner you are because you would never get rid of your dog? Well I'm sorry, to me a GREAT owner is the one that puts the dog's well beeing before anything els
Why would someone need to show the world there a great owner for? If they choose not to re-home there dogs? If they choose to work through the troubles?

And there are many dogs out there living happy lives crated or kenneled! but still getting that quality time with their people!

Leesa~

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) Forever in my heart ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, IPO 1, CGC (HOT)... Oberon v. Wildhaus, BH (HOT)
post #28 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 10:11 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote: In the event that I had two complelely incompatible dogs and there was no way to do separate rotations or something to keep everyone safe and I absolutely HAD to rehome a dog then I would place the dog I had brought in most recently.
Exactly.. Not up root the dogs that had been there for years..

Leesa~

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) Forever in my heart ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, IPO 1, CGC (HOT)... Oberon v. Wildhaus, BH (HOT)
post #29 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Banned

i wouldn't give my dog up because of the statements in your first paragraph. the only thing different someone could do for my dog would be taking him to work. my dog is well taken care of (spoiled).

rehoming a dog because because it's not getting along with the other dogs, yes, you have to. if you tried honestly on trying to make it work out and the dogs just won't do it you have to for the benefit of all the dogs involved. i'm sure you found a home for your White Shep that takes great care of her. She's in a better situation. even though you had to rehome her you were still providing for her in the best possible way. in her new home the love and caring continues.

i'm sure it's hard on you because you had to rehome two dogs, but you should feel better knowing you found them good homes. Tallan (nice name) is living with a family that spoils her and she has a fenced yard. when you think about how well the dogs are doing you know you did the right thing.

would i rehome my dog? if the situation wasn't working out for my dog and i couldn't make it better, yes i would. i think i have some agreement with my breeder in the event that i must rehome my dog she gets for choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted By: GSDBESTK9If you had a GSD who had an OK life with you and you loved the dog very much, but all of a sudden an awesome home would come up where you knew your dog would be even better than with you... Spoiled to death, be able to go to work with the new owner every day, etc. Would you rehome him/her even though you know you would have a hard time letting go?

I never thought I could, but unfortunately I've had to do it more than once now. First with my White GSD who was being harrased by my other dogs constantly, it was so bad she was petrified of coming near my other dogs and started pooping in the basement and licking her legs pink. I cried for months after rehoming her, but she is in a great home now and spoiled to death, doesn't have to worry about other dogs bulling her.

Then about 5 months ago I had to do it again with my Yorkie Tallan. Gala thought Tallan was a chew toy and had no respect for her. In fact, I could not give Tallan any attention cause Gala would get so jealous she would attack her afterwards. I could not keep risking Tallan's life and she was not happy and constantly afraid where she didn't even want to come out of my bedroom anymore (where Gala was not allowed).

Last week I saw Tallan again, I gave her to a family friend and she is so freaking spoiled it isn't funny and they love her to death! She has a HUGE fenced in yard to run in, a new sister that is her size and whom Tallan bosses around. I saw her so happy that I knew I had done the right thing for her.
post #30 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 10:37 AM
Crowned Member

So a breeder who has females getting older, they should all retire with the owner and never be rehomed? I have rehomed dogs that didn't work out in my breeding program. I have 2 seniors in the house (one spayed pet, other retired female). So if I go off of everyone's scenario here, I'd never be a breeder again because I would end up with 15 dogs with just one litter. After all, when you are a breeder the pups are technically being "rehomed" whether for a purchase fee or a so called "adoption" fee. If you have 3 females for breeding, eventually they would retire, then what would you have to replace them in your program?

I have rehomed animals that absolutely wouldn't get along, I have others I have rescued and are still here. Vishnu was rescued, the 2 cats I have are rescued. The cats have to be kept separated so they don't fight. As my situation will most likely be changing in a couple of years, I will be downsizing after Duchess and Oxana pass on. Guess that makes me a horrible person.

How many of you have euthanized instead of rehoming a dog? I would hope no one unless it was a severe medical issue and no hope. I would think rehoming would be better than being put down especially if the dog is better off some where else. It's no different than when you do have to put down a dog for health reasons as to what is BEST FOR THE DOG. If that is being put down for health reasons, or being rehomed due to a hostile environment, it's still what is important to the dog.

Angela

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page