Rehoming - Would you do it? - Page 25 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #241 of 244 (permalink) Old 03-20-2009, 06:32 PM
Knighted Member

Re: Rehoming - Would you do it?

I once was facing the possibility of being homeless, and yet I could not give up my dog. Instead I made arrangements for a place for her to stay in the event that we did become homeless, which never happened. I also lived in an old broken down motor home for 2 yrs before because I could not give up another dog I had. On the flip side, my current GSD was rehomed to me and I am grateful every day for his former owners courage and her love for this guy to give him to someone who could spend the time he needed and love him as much as I do. Every time I faced uncertainty in my life, the love from my pets has always gotten me thru. My commitment to them has always prevailed and we have always landed on our feet

Nadia - GSD -DOB 12-29-07
Zisso - GSD- DOB 9-16-07
Pepe & Kiki`my sweet kitties

Zisso is my heart~Nadia is my Love~My kitties bring me everything in between~Together they bring me Joy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 244 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 11:38 AM
Knighted Member

At the risk of coming back here and enduring more harsh comments. AT lease some, most people were very kind!

I wanted to add to this thread of my recent experience of trying to rehome my Jack Russell Terrier Bruno.

If anyone is seeking advice from this thread. I want you to know, it is OK to rehome.
BUT do not do it out of desperation. Also only do it if the dog is going to a situation that is better than the one the dog is in. Stick with breed rescues for assitance.

I know it is getting rough right now to find homeless pets good homes. So right now it would be very hard to rehome.

I got overwhelmed and desperate enough to take Bruno to a new shelter, I thought could rehome him. They did in one day.

I never took his tags off. I thought he might need them. I just could not bring myself to remove them.

He escaped from his new owners. (I found out Bruno was placed in the inner city where there are many strays). The women that found him said he had been running with the pack of strays. He stayed one night with one of the women who had taken in many animals. Her neighbor helped her get a hold of me.

I had not slept or ate for a week at the guilt I felt at not doing the proper thing by Bruno..finding him a good home or waiting for assitance from a rescue.

After getting the call and saying I was on my way to get him. I was overwhelmed with tears.

He had been HOME since last Thursday. We are doing well. We are in contact with the Omaha JRT rescue for assitance.

We are recommitting to him, with all we have. We have to start over gaining his trust again.
We are taking him to a JRT sporting event open to all JRT's. Where we will meet the JRT rescue woman, so she can personally meet Bruno. I am hoping it will be a fun day for him, and maybe something he will be good at.

I know some of you may feel we do not derserve another chance.

Just know Bruno does...and he is in very good hands. I understand things better now, I will never do wrong by him again. I have learned a lot from this.

I also will not come back here for advice on him. This is a GSD board. I will go to the Omaha JRT rescue. If you have KIND advice, please PM me. Thank you for your support.

~Kelly
Shelby (Tabby cat, 14 yrs old)
Lady (Golden Retrive Spaniel mix, 10 yrs old)
Bella (Beagle 8 yrs old)
Shadow (GSD 4 yrs old)
post #243 of 244 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 04:13 PM

no. i couldnt do it. i don't see what other home would be better for my dogs. I mean its not like I cant afford owning them or anything. i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 244 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 12:26 PM

Jack is my second GSD that I got after my first GSD (the second dog I've ever owned) passed away. Hans was the definition of a perfect dog, protective when the time came, calm in all situations, VERY VERY quick learner, loved performing, it was almost as if he understood English and understood me.

I definitely got Jack way too soon after Hans' passing and I find myself comparing Jack to Hans all the time. Jack is much more stubborn and not so quick on the uptake. He also has some aggression issues which are very frustrating at times. Sometimes I just feel like giving up and at one point I was telling myself how much I hated Jack and how I wished I never got him.

I found my frustration was what was holding me back and what was preventing him from being all he could be. I was trying to hold training sessions while I was frustrated and he could definitely tell. He performed very slowly and didn't have the happy GSD face I'm sure you're all familiar with.

I don't think I could ever ever rehome Jack, if I were physically unable to care for him any longer my family would care for him. As long as I am able-bodied Jack's staying with me for better or for worse... In the end, with dogs, you make a commitment to them for life, I would never fail Jack like that and I know I'd live with immense guilt and regret if I did that to him. I love Jack!

P.S. With the training, I now stop immediately when I feel I am getting frustrated and I ALWAYS end sessions on a happy note where I give him a command to something he always successfully performs (jumping for a treat or "paw") so he is always waggy when we finish. I believe I read that advice here, thanks!

*|*\\**//*|
*|**\v/***|
*} * **{
*}* c*** \
*/ * ***}\

Jack - 1.5 year old GSD! :-)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page