Rehoming - Would you do it? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 08:53 AM
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to Nikkoli110
Re: Rehoming - Would you do it?

I could see if I was in that situation, I probably would. It would break my heart and be extremly tough, but knowing that the dog was not having a good life with me, and going to an awesome home with someone else who would give the dog a great life, I would do it. You did what was best for the dog, and not you, which is a hard but great thing to do. Of course I would try as best I could to make it work, but things don't always work out the way we want them to. '

I had a foster lab I had rescued from NC, she was an absolute doll. She and Katie got along famously, and she was just amazing. I toyed with the idea of keeping her, but we couldn't afford another dog at the time and were about to get married, and when this one woman came in to see her, with her 3 kids, it was just amazing. They loved her at first sight, their dog loved her, and really, she went to an A+ home, (they've got mucho bucks, she's never alone, walks a few times a day, beach house in the summer, swims every day) That was the best thing I could have ever done for her, and I miss her alot, but know in my heart it was the right thing for her, and thats whats most important.

Nikki
Proud Mom to
Katie black & tan GSD 3 years old
Titan all black GSD 2 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 08:56 AM
Crowned Member

I can pretty much say NEVER!!!! unless I was homeless!

My son wants a dog so bad.. He's wanted one for the last year or so.. But I've had to tell him no, not until one passes on.. I have a nice, NICE working line male here that I'm raising.. whom I would LOVE to keep, but like I've told the breeder, I can't, not until one passes on..

I could have easily re-homed my two older dogs or returned them back to rescue but in my heart I can't and won't. That's my commitment to them..

Leesa~

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) Forever in my heart ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, IPO 1, CGC (HOT)... Oberon v. Wildhaus, BH (HOT)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 08:57 AM
Elite Member

Oh my, that is a very scary question. I would love to say never, but I have learned never say never a long time ago. It almost sets the whole universe to work against you to prove you wrong, LOL.
Stuff that I think would be able to force me to do this:
- family member gets real, severe allergy attacks
- dog becomes aggressive to the family in a way we can not manage
- becoming homeless, or sg similar. (Moving? never, we moved two of our pack here from the EU, which I guess you could call crazy).

Never had the situation that you described, but it sounds though. I am very happy for you that both of your dogs are doing great at their new owners. I think that would be the hardest part for me, letting them go; that, and trusting somebody else with their care. Ever since I have been doing home visits I learned to mistrust my own judgement.

"A piece of grass a day keeps the vet away" - Unknown Dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 08:59 AM
Elite Member

I think with the epidemic of "rehoming" and so many dogs that are at shelters people tend to judge quickly because they don't know you personally. There are so many excuses out there anymore that you really don't know what is legit, who is telling the truth, who just wants to make a buck (like those people who buy off of CL and then resell). Plus, all the things that you see on T.V. and more.

I feel every situation is unique and needs to be looked that way. I respect anyone who truly puts their pet (s) first no matter what and if that means that they need to rehome then they made the right decision for their family & pet.
post #15 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 09:04 AM
Knighted Member

I once thought I would never rehome a dog, but then ran into a situation where rehoming the dog was better than keeping the dog with me.

I got Tori when she was five months old - scared of everything and not socialized a bit. Took me years to work through it, literally, but she became confident and willing to greet strangers happily. She and I never really bonded like I've bonded with other dogs, though. I loved her, she loved me, I trusted her and she was a wonderful dog but something was missing.

She didn't take well to change and when I moved two years ago she had a really tough time. I took her with me when visiting a friend who lives on a 160 acre homestead and runs a small riding stable. When the two of them met, it was like love at first sight. Sallie had lost her old GSD a few months previously and had been looking for another GSD to share her life with (a life most dogs would absolutely LOVE). And I left Tori there with her. I felt awful at first but went back and visited frequently and could see that Tori had already adopted Sallie as her very own person (she'd always had to share me with the other dogs). And Sallie, within a week, was so attached to Tori that it would have broken her heart to take her away.

I still visit Sallie and Tori, and Tori is always glad to see me. But she will greet me and then run over and lean against Sallie. Sallie calls Tori her soulmate and is closer to that dog than she's ever been to any dog, I think.

I was perfectly willing and happy to keep Tori with me until she died, but someone else needed her more - and Tori needed that someone else. I never had the bond with her that Sallie does. It's incredible seeing them together.

The biggest problem I have with rehoming is when people use it just to get rid of dogs they no longer have a need for. I know chow breeders who, once their dogs have earned the titles or had their last litter, get rid of them as soon as they can. I just feel bad for dogs who are only wanted for what they can provide in titles or puppies and not because the owners truly love them. Too many breeders see dogs as commodities and not companions.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

Positive 1ST! More reward, less correction makes a GREAT trainer.
Chows: Khana CD RE SD & Dora NA NAJ GSD: Tazer SDIT
RIP *Trick*Kylee*Dawson*Lady*
Total of 2UDs 3CDXs 12CDs 2REs 8AgilityTitles 1BH Chow!
20 Yrs Training/Teaching Experience
post #16 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 09:12 AM
Knighted Member

Leesa, you're raising a dog but you're not going to keep it? Isn't that kind of the same as rehoming (in a very broad sense)?

To me, if a dog lives with you and especially if you're raising it, then in essence you are the one building the bond with it. So sending it away to another home would be, to the dog, the same thing as rehoming since it's leaving the home it once knew.

I guess I'm looking at it from the standpoint of the dog, not the human. I absolutely love my dogs but if I couldn't give them the life they needed I would rehome before I'd make them unhappy. I'm GLAD that you think you'd never need to find homes for your dogs (and I respect your commitment) but I think there are angles you haven't truly looked at.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
post #17 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 09:15 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: GSDBESTK9Why have a dog crated for hours on end when he/she can have full attention and run of the house with a loving family for example?
That is the point. Is the life you have with the dog better than the life someone else could give them? If not, then it's just plain selfish to keep the dog.

I have rehomed a dog and I would again. I purchased Gus after I had Neke and Tessa. My plan was to get Gus into either the show ring (where I was working with Tessa) or the obedience ring (where I was working with Neke). But Gus didn't have the structure for the breed ring and didn't have the drive for competitive obedience. He was just a big, lovable goof.

So while I was out working Neke and Tessa, Gus was stuck at home. Sure, sometimes I would bring him with the shows but he spent 95% of the time stuck in a crate. He really didn't want to do any training - all he lived for was playing fetch with a ball.

I was (and still am) close to the breeder I got the guys from and she knew Gus hadn't turned out as I had hoped. I told her it wasn't a problem - I would always keep him, that was the commitment I made when I bought him as a pup.

One day she called me and said she had a family looking for an older dog. The dog was a present from the grandfather to his granddaughter (with parents permission). The mom didn't want to deal with housetraining so they were looking for a dog 1-3 yrs old and they currently had an elderly dog so the new dog would have to be good with other dogs.

The grand daughter wanted a dog that would play ball with her. Their current dog was too old to really play alot anymore.

I was NOT really interested in placing Gus but I said I would bring him over to meet them. It was love at first sight - between Gus and the young girl. He never looked back and he was loved and spoiled until the very end of his life.

And he got to be with people almost all the time.

It was a better life than I could give him and THAT is the commitment I make when I get a dog - to give them the best life possible. If that is NOT with me then so be it.
post #18 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 09:18 AM

Speaking directly to your question, the answer would be yes if I was rendered physically unable to care for myself (and therefore my dogs) due to some catastrophic accident or medical event or if my home was ripped out from underneath me and my dogs needed safe shelter until I could put the pieces back together. However, for each dog I did have a backup plan of where they would go given the special circumstance of each during their lives if something happened to me. Thankfully, those plans never had to be initiated.

Otherwise, the answer is no. Every dog I've known had issues but the one compelling rule of our home is that everyone gets along. While many rocked the boat, only one dog categorically and emphatically refused to play by the rules: Jesse, (or "Miss Attitude" as my vet so lovingly called her) the Rottie found at 4 months old, tortured and left to die. My vet always told me that if I saved her she would be my single best and single most difficult dog for all my life. As Jesse grew, she would be the Alpha dog or die trying. Ultimately, we built Jesse her own "house" complete with all the comforts of home which allowed supervised play time with the other dogs but also allowed her to rule her kingdom in peace. She lived out her long life in great comfort and, most importantly, safely without a single incidence of aggression/bite history toward anyone (save Holly my sweet GSD who tangled with Jesse over who would get closer to me).

I would add that most of my dogs were rehomes and in each case the original owner had to agree and understand that once I accepted the dog, I would never give it up. I acknowledge I've been very fortunate in being able to care for all I have and Fate has certainly given me a break in the past.
post #19 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 09:24 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote:Leesa, you're raising a dog but you're not going to keep it? Isn't that kind of the same as rehoming (in a very broad sense)?

To me, if a dog lives with you and especially if you're raising it, then in essence you are the one building the bond with it. So sending it away to another home would be, to the dog, the same thing as rehoming since it's leaving the home it once knew.
I guess you can look at it that way! But it's not my dog and he's always been for sale..

Quote:
Quote:I'm GLAD that you think you'd never need to find homes for your dogs (and I respect your commitment) but I think there are angles you haven't truly looked at.
Melaine~ The last two years of my LIFE have been ****, literally, more downs then ups.. and I still never thought about re-homing my dogs.. I make do with what I have..

Nor am I judging people for doing what they feel is best.. That's there choice.. I have my own set of values and beliefs!

Carolina asked a question and I answered!

Leesa~

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) Forever in my heart ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, IPO 1, CGC (HOT)... Oberon v. Wildhaus, BH (HOT)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 244 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Knighted Member

Even though I hate the thought of rehoming out dogs, I would probably do it if it was necessary. Both of our dogs have wonderful, happy lives with us. They are our babies so it's hard to imagine them being in better situations.

But, if something happened where both my husband and I became disabled or were unable to take care of them, it would be selfish to not do what's best for them.

I would be heart broken if for some reason, they started fighting like GSDBESTK9 mentioned Gala was doing with the Yorkie. I can't even imagine who would stay and who would go. That has to be one of the toughest rehoming scenarios in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page