Best GSD Advice - Page 8 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 76 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 09:19 PM

Re: Best GSD Advice

get control early cause it is easier with a 25 pound pup than a 100 pound beast...repetition and patience...

Zima pound puppy Gsd mix Rip 14 years of love
Mason Rhea 05-16-2007 GSD

Fearless the Cat...Rip
Shelby the Cat ...she thinks she is a GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 76 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 10:03 PM

Not sure if this is the place to post this ... I need some help regarding my nine month old GSD who loves to chew. Now, I understand they need to chew etc so I did make "other things available for him chew". However when I got home from work today...

Bear had helped himself to the arm of one of the chairs in the family room. I have a boy come in twice a day to play with the dogs and let them out. When I called the boy today I asked him how everything looked at home (meaning did Bear chew anything of mine). He told me that he (Bear, not the boy), had chewed something in the hallway but couldn't tell what. It turned out that Bear chewed a basket that contained his toys and chew things. But everything else according to the boy was fine.

It seems Bear does most of his chewing (destructive chewing) just before I get home.

I have given him all kinds of things to chew on ... I wonder if he is anxious that I am away?

Anyone else have a chewer and how did you address it with your GSD? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

I am thinking this may just be a bump in the road.

Thanks

Jaime & Company
Teddy, Toy Poodle 2001
Angel, Shetland Sheep Dog 2005
Bear, GSD 2009
Haida, GSD 2000-2009 (at the bridge)
My Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #73 of 76 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 10:25 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote:how did you address it with your GSD?
crate training is a wonderful thing.

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 76 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 07:27 AM

My puppy who is 6 months old absolutely loves everyone she comes in contact with. We are working with her on jumping up on people, but will she always stay so friendly towards people?
post #75 of 76 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 02:32 PM

Rocky is pretty much the same. He's 6 months old and just loves everyone who comes over and jumps up also. Working on that jumping thing is difficult.
post #76 of 76 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 08:32 AM
Master Member

I have a lot of dog and puppy experience, so there isn't a lot of stuff I need help with, but this is my first GSD that is not a foster! So, I'd say the best advice I have gotten would have to be to GET one... people kept telling me that as much as I like an aloof sighthound, yet want the trainable, water loving, ball playing aspect of a dog like a Golden, that I should get a GSD- best of both worlds! Aloof and loyal like a sighthound- fun and trainable like a Golden. So far, it's holding true!

I'd have to second the socialize, socialize, socialize. I have heard this from many friends and GSD owners, and I agree. I can definitely see how my pup might end up too wary of strangers if I wasn't actively socializing him.

Effie's Six Pack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page