JakeR 1 1.85%
JKlatsky 7 12.96%
Crookedcreekranch 11 20.37%
wildo 2 3.70%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Exclamation TIME TO VOTE for the December 2010 Photo Contest!

Please take a moment to vote for your favorite December 2010 picture. You have until this time January 5, 2010 to cast your vote.

Good luck everyone!

Link to contest submissions ---> https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...-lighting.html

Carolina Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 07:01 PM
vat
Knighted Member

Oooooo, it was a hard pick!

Valerie

Shewana's Maximum Velocity (aka Max)
Shewana's Hot-Spice (aka Callan)

Kaycee 11/97-5/10
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rio 10/08-2/10

Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 08:07 PM
Crowned Member

First I wanted to say both congrats to GSDBESTK9 on becoming the new Monthly Photo Contest mod, and thank you for getting the poll together! I am really glad to see some movement here!

As to the vote- I personally went back and forth probably 25 times between JKlatsky and Rei:

Shooting in such low light as in JKlatsky's shot is definitely very hard- especially with a canine that won't sit perfectly still for the low shutter speeds. The bokeh of the background is perfect- not too blurred, and just blurred enough. The drape, curtain, or whatever it is to the right is a perfect compliment to the color palette. The dog is absolutely perfectly exposed and focused- and that made it truly difficult to not pick this shot. I felt even the digital noise added a nice "film" or "warm" or even "homey" quality to the shot. It's really a wonderful portrait, and I hope you have it printed and framed!

The scene painted in Rei's shot is truly beautiful! (And the number of current votes seem to be confirming that!) Despite the pretty scene, I had to choose this photo more for the story it told- something that is definitely difficult to do in a portrait. The angle chosen to capture the scene is perfect providing a really interesting perspective with the dog up front, but in the bottom corner (properly following the rule of thirds even!) and a long, long beach behind. You can't help but make up a story in your head about the smells the GSD experienced or perhaps the playful splashes in the water, not to mention the lovely fill color reflected in the GSD's shadow from the sunset. It's really quite stunning, and with some post processing becomes a wonderful piece of art.

So for the story told (in spite of the fact the challenge was "creative lighting") I had to go for Rei. But JKlatsky- you are a worthy runner up in my book!!

To everyone else- thanks for jumping in with many other really great submissions! There was a lot of talent displayed in this challenge, and I was really happy to see most people put aside the "unofficial or official?" nonsense. I think people had a lot of fun with the challenge- so we should also thank JagerDog for the topic!

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014

Last edited by wildo; 12-31-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 10:22 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildo View Post
First I wanted to say both congrats to GSDBESTK9 on becoming the new Monthly Photo Contest mod, and thank you for getting the poll together! I am really glad to see some movement here!

As to the vote- I personally went back and forth probably 25 times between JKlatsky and Rei:

Shooting in such low light as in JKlatsky's shot is definitely very hard- especially with a canine that won't sit perfectly still for the low shutter speeds. The bokeh of the background is perfect- not too blurred, and just blurred enough. The drape, curtain, or whatever it is to the right is a perfect compliment to the color palette. The dog is absolutely perfectly exposed and focused- and that made it truly difficult to not pick this shot. I felt even the digital noise added a nice "film" or "warm" or even "homey" quality to the shot. It's really a wonderful portrait, and I hope you have it printed and framed!

The scene painted in Rei's shot is truly beautiful! (And the number of current votes seem to be confirming that!) Despite the pretty scene, I had to choose this photo more for the story it told- something that is definitely difficult to do in a portrait. The angle chosen to capture the scene is perfect providing a really interesting perspective with the dog up front, but in the bottom corner (properly following the rule of thirds even!) and a long, long beach behind. You can't help but make up a story in your head about the smells the GSD experienced or perhaps the playful splashes in the water, not to mention the lovely fill color reflected in the GSD's shadow from the sunset. It's really quite stunning, and with some post processing becomes a wonderful piece of art.

So for the story told (in spite of the fact the challenge was "creative lighting") I had to go for Rei. But JKlatsky- you are a worthy runner up in my book!!

To everyone else- thanks for jumping in with many other really great submissions! There was a lot of talent displayed in this challenge, and I was really happy to see most people put aside the "unofficial or official?" nonsense. I think people had a lot of fun with the challenge- so we should also thank JagerDog for the topic!

I voted for your picture - it was not only a very interesting angle and warm lighting, but told the story of a very happy and content GSD who was blessed to have a warm and cozy bed in a comfy home! I LOVED IT!! Thanks for sharing!

Kimber, M, GSD, 12/21/10
Casey, F, GSD/Rott, 5/2/99
Shadow
M, GSD, '95-'09
"Born a Dog...Died a Gentleman"
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 10:30 AM
Elite Member

Great job on all the photos! Loved them all!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 09:00 PM
Crowned Member

Looks like the poll is closed. Congrats Rei on your win! Stunning photo!!

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Elite Member

congratulations Rei!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page