Your Training Goals - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
The Italian One

Question Your Training Goals

We did this topic a long time ago but with all the new members and with Schutzhund Nationals coming up I thought it would be fun to refresh this topic for this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
What type(s) of training do you participate in? Do you have a goal you wish to achieve? Those of you taking obedience classes are you planning to compete or is your goal to have a well mannered pet. Perhaps you see therapy work in your dog's future. What about the Schutzhund? Are you training for the nationals? Or do you wish to prove your dog's breed worthiness, or are you just out there having fun? What about those that train for SAR, or agility, or herding what training are you undertaking and what are your ultimate goals?
Here's a link to the old original https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ml#post1163871

Home of Sundance, Butch & Wyatt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 04:17 PM
Banned

we wanted a well trained, highly socialize,
pet/companion and that's what we have. as far
as proving my dog's breed worthiness, there's
nothing to prove. he's a GSD.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 04:45 PM
Master Member

Bo just attended his first basic obedience class yesterday. After he completes basic I would like to start advanced obedience. I am not sure how to go about deciding whether he is better suited for, obedience competition or agility. To be honest I find schutzhund kind of intimidating no offense meant to the fans! Bo is also American show line and it is my understanding schutzhund is not one of their strengths. I guess I need more information on all three. . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 04:46 PM
Knighted Member

There's a CGN test in Brandon in November that Shania and I (or at least I) am going to try for.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 04:50 PM
Knighted Member

My goal is to have a very obedient pup!!!! We just joined CKC and will be starting ob with them. We are hoping one day to pass the CGN!
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 07:33 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DCluver33
my goal is to have a very obedient dog, maybe hopefully by december have his CGC and his TDI

~Steph~

Dodger 5 yr old GSD (6/23/08)
Molly 14 yr old Border Collie/Aussie Mix (7/4/98)

RIP my Angel:
Chopper 17 yr old Border Collie (10/1/94-12/30/10)
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 07:50 PM
Crowned Member

Goals, goals and more goals....

SchH 2 (and maybe a FH) on Bismark and an FH on Chaos..

Leesa~

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) Forever in my heart ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, IPO 1, CGC (HOT)... Oberon v. Wildhaus, BH (HOT)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 08:43 PM
Crowned Member

My goals are pretty much the same.

1. Obtain a CGN (haven't had a evaluation in my area that I can attend - dang work on the weekends!)

2. Continue to train in SchH (working on our BH at the moment)

3. Do some herding

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 09:29 PM

We will do puppy classes with Thor and obedience, CGC and then hopefully work towards getting him certified as a therapy dog. We have 2 children ages 5 and 2, so CGC and therapy training is something they can be involved in (as far as being great distractions) I really would love to do therapy work in hospitals, assisted living and hospice environments with him. It is also a great opportunity for our children to learn how much of a role dogs can play in peoples' lives and not just as family companions.

Now, once our children are older, you better believe both my husband and I will have dogs working on Schutzhund titles.

Thor von Ryanhaus - GSD - 7/20/10, S.T.A.R Puppy, CGC
Kona - Rottie/Hound mix - rescued 5/9/09
Playing at The Bridge:
Akira - Bullmastiff - 4/1/03 -4/8/09
Rappex - GSD - 8/15/02 - 8/7/10
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 09:37 PM
Knighted Member

Honestly I have Zoe's training goals down....sit, down, stay, eh eh, come, leave it, paw, find keys and other objects, and even picks up toys and laundry. Now if she could be a little more nice about new people and small dogs we'd be perfect. I wish I had more competitive options close to me, but we don't own a car so unfortunately I have to be happy with what we have now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page