WHy GSD? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 112 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

WHy GSD?

Hi everyone,

What made you decide to have a GSD as a member of your family? Rin Tin Tin? A family member? The away they look?

Why did GSD's capture your attention?

Carolyn

Djinga "Della" von Rokanhaus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 112 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 09:36 PM
Crowned Member

Re: WHy GSD?

I like everything about them: size, coat, erect ears, full tail, color, dark face, versatile, smart, close bond to handler, popular breed so easier to find a good breeder and training clubs than something more rare.
post #3 of 112 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 09:43 PM
Crowned Member

My husband and I have always loved the breed for their looks, documented intelligence and rep for being an all around great dog that bonds tightly to it's family. We both did a lot of research on the breed for temperment, needs, training, etc. just for wanting to know more about the breed.

When my Dal died suddenly last year, we were faced with the "what type of dog do we get now", the thought of being a one dog household was impossible. Since my DH didn't want another Dal, we both immediately knew we wanted a GSD. And we couldn't be happier, they're even better than what we thought! We're pretty sure any dog we get from now on will be a GSD.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tiffany; mom to:
Annabelle "the Diva"- GSD born 9/21/08
Duncan- Shep Mix adopted on 2/14/00 TDI
The kitty amigos: Simon, Alley and Mia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 112 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 09:46 PM
Banned

my first influence would be Rin Tin Tin. what kind
of name is that for a GSD!!!! when i was younger
my Aunt had a GSD that was super trained. my Aunt
would give King a note and he would take it
to the corner store, wait for the order to be filled
and return home with it.

i love the GSD looks, versatility and trainability.
post #5 of 112 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 09:46 PM
Crowned Member

Looks and trainability.

post #6 of 112 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 09:50 PM
Master Member

All the GSDs I had met while growing up (Thor, King, Gretchen, Hickory, Heidi, and Holiday) left a very strong impression on me. They were so noble, kid-loving, protective, and intelligent. I just couldn't get over how unique a breed they were. The one that left the deepest impression was probably my ex's family's dog, Heidi Wilkis. She was amazing.
I also was single for a long time and liked to live alone, so I wanted dogs that would keep me safe. I also lived with my ex in the city and needed to feel safe. I have a hilarious flasher story about my old Morgan girl.
Once I got shepherds of my own, I was hooked on their incredible intelligence and wonderful humor.
I liked it when I moved to Florida 8 years ago, and a stranger said to me on the street a few weeks later, "Oh, yea, you're the German shepherd lady! You ought to hear the inside of your house when you're not home and people walk by!"

Spending more than a few hours a day in a forum is unhealthy and makes people mean
post #7 of 112 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 09:52 PM
Crowned Member

My stepdad had two GSD's for his mechanic/gas/towing business(city impound lot, too), they were his"watchdogs" in the 70's. I fell in love with Misty who was white and Stomper a B&T. All business at the station, but at home they were funloving, stinky dogs. When I moved out, DH and I got a black GSD pup, and he was named in honor of Stomper(original was poisoned by SDads partner who embezzled from him) I then got a border/goldenx when our Stomper was a senior and DH and I just felt a lack in her. He never formed a bond with her(probably because I didnt clear it w/ him to adopt her). Though she was great w/ our kids while growing up and very sweet.
It's funny because I hear stories often of people who had a gsd in the past and how great this breed is w/ protecting the children, making sure they are all accounted for.
To me there is not a breed I'd rather own, challenges and all-they are what I want in a companion; Loyal, smart, sense of humor, and gorgeous!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #8 of 112 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 10:03 PM
Master Member

I love the stability in temperment, at least with the dogs I have. And their willingness to just please, their trainablility...they're gorgeous animals...their protective instincts...the list is long..

Marie

Quest Vom Spartanville (DOB 1/31/09) SCH2 IPO2 (Regionals 2012) BH TR1 CGC GSD
Leon v.h. Basjes Huis (3/26/12) GSD
Rosa Aritar Bastet (7/4/12) GSD
post #9 of 112 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 10:09 PM

I had a GSD as a kid. When I had a dog as an adult it was a shepherd mix. I thought I would end up with a similar dog when looking for a new one. We stumbled on Jazz who looks to be pure but we aren't sure at the Frederick Animal Control. I don't think I could have anything else now.
post #10 of 112 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 10:12 PM
Crowned Member

I guess my love of GSDs dates back to when I was a kid I loved watching THE ADVENTURES OF RIN TIN TIN - Yo Rinty!

Gayle, Faith, Ledgie, Scooby
At the Bridge: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page