DIY Agility Equipment-(Do it yourself ideas/hints) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 87 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

DIY Agility Equipment-(Do it yourself ideas/hints)

Idea from members to have an area to use as reference for making agility equipment. What I am thinking is having people to post their DIY with detailed instructions and pictures (if possible).

Think some of you have done this on some other agility posts, but if we put them here they will be easier to use as a reference.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 09:27 PM
Crowned Member

Re: DIY Agility Equipment-(Do it yourself ideas/hints)

My $20 channel weaves and PVC jumps are on my club's site (pics and downloadable instructions):

http://www.pawsitivecaninetraining.com/diy.htm

For tunnels, I use dog tunnels I got at Target for $9 each. They are quite a bit shorter than a true tunnel, but I use them to work on tunnel entries/exit and sequences in the yard. I think the brand is "Boots Barkley". The tunnels come with stakes for the ground. I'm proud to report that mine withstood a series of severe storms that knocked over 40' trees all over the city.
post #3 of 87 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 02:25 PM
Elite Member

Re: DIY Agility Equipment-(Do it yourself ideas/hi

I made a tire jump based on these instructions ( i made some changes here and there): http://www.campbandy.com/store/tirejump.htm

Kelly
Dalmatians:
FOREVER in my heart:
Sydney
CH Erin N Shamrock's S Hemisphere CD RN CGC
8/14/98-1/12/13

(1/3 UWP) U-CH Shamrock's Shippin Up To Boston RN CA NJ-N TT CGC "Shane" (4yrs)

"Ocean" Alabama craigslist dump (2yrs)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 87 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Crowned Member

I'm the queen of salvage. My stuff wasn't formal agility but...

1. White closet pole stretched between two lawn chairs

2. Wicker mirror stand, sands mirror worked as a low jump & if I had got around to it would have held a hula hoop for a quasi tire jump

I was going to use a couple of salvage flat panel doors to make an A frame but didn't get around to it.
post #5 of 87 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted By: middleofnowhere if I had got around to it would have held a hula hoop for a quasi tire jump
I did that the other day where I had a large open space in my course in the yard and was out of equipment. I have a "real" tire that I built on the course already, but I just stuck two gardening stakes in the ground and taped the hula hoop so it was suspended between them with packaging tape. Worked really well and its still up several days later

~Deanna
post #6 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

I know when I started making jumps, I thought it was all about just getting some type of upright so the crossbar could be held up for the dog to jump over.

NOW I realize that when we start building jumps, should really be making WING jumps. I've got 2 types now to show you. The first is more expensive cause bigger PVC and the fittings are the 4 way type not so readily available. I also attach the jump cups directly to the wings in this jump wing style.

This second setup works just as well but you can probably go to any hardware store and easily buy the fittings and put them together. Only uses 'T's' and my friend who made them chose thinner PVC (1/2 " ?). Also, she chose to make the wings as a separate piece from her regular jumps, so can just put these next to them to make a wing (or not). The jump cups are NOT a part of these wings.

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #7 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

(copied/pasted from another post..)

It would be faster for you to go to the NADAC yahoogroups page...no, crap, you'd have to be a member. I'm going to post a picture originally posted to another list by Al Ceranko (I saved it to my computer back then)--mine looks just like it except I used gray velcro ties.

They are dead easy to make. I used 3/4" PVC. It takes two uprights that are 22" tall (Al's look like they might be a tad taller), one ground crossbar that is 34", and four "feet" that are 11" long. You'll need 2 four-way connectors, and to make everything look neet, 6 caps for the ends of the feet and the uprights. Then use velcro ties to fasten the hula hoop to the frame, in the middle of the crossbar and close to the top of each upright.

post #8 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-23-2008, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

post #9 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 09:53 PM

The single best resource for making your own agility equipment is this book, available on the Clean Run website:

http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fu...&ParentCat=195

It has the regulation dimensions for various venues. It's invaluable - ours has been used many times and saved us loads of money.

Julie Chapman -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- and
Suka (Suka v. Sapphire Mountain CDX RE MX2 MXJ2 MXF NAP NJP BH)
Colter (Gryphon v. Adler Stein)
Bria (Gilliath v. Wildhaus AX AXJ NF)
post #10 of 87 (permalink) Old 11-09-2008, 04:12 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to DancingCavy Send a message via MSN to DancingCavy Send a message via Yahoo to DancingCavy

How to make a buja (wobble) board:

<u>What you Need:</u>

2 X 2 foot, 3 X 3 foot, or 4 X 4 foot square of 1/2 inch plywood (dog should be able to stand comfortably on top)
Carpet or Mat for the top (so it's not slippery)
Duct Tape
Sock
Tennis Ball

Getting started:

First step, attaching the mat. Lots of duct tape!!

Second step, place tennis ball inside sock. Attach to bottom of the board in the middle. You can use nails or staples. I used duct tape.

Third step. . .there isn't one. You're now done! It ain't pretty, but it works.

~Jamie~
Risa W-FDM/MF RA RL1 (AoE) CA CGC WCX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Risa's Blog)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page