DIY Agility Equipment-(Do it yourself ideas/hints) - Page 9 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 87 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Master Member

I am DIY dummy. Love seeing everyone’s in-process & completed projects on this thread. But I really need something that reads: 1) buy 20 feet of 1” PVC, 2) get a saw, 3) cut into 4-foot lengths… You get the idea. I've seen a number of websites w DIY instructions. Any suggestions for links to sites w patterns that are easy to follow & assemble?

Thanks MLR for the link to the jump strips. Those look like they'll take some of the work (frustration ) out of making cups. Question: Why wing jumps vs bar jumps? Wing jumps look like more work.

Rumi vom Haus Barrett 8/24/2010 BRAT, HCT, CGC
Dakota GSD rescue 7/1/00 - 9/15/11 CGC, RA, CD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gunnar GSD/greyhound rescue 1995-2005
Kodi GSD/husky rescue 1991-2004
Cleo, pug and Happy, mutt from childhood
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 87 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahhi22 View Post
I am DIY dummy. Love seeing everyone’s in-process & completed projects on this thread. But I really need something that reads: 1) buy 20 feet of 1” PVC, 2) get a saw, 3) cut into 4-foot lengths… You get the idea. I've seen a number of websites w DIY instructions. Any suggestions for links to sites w patterns that are easy to follow & assemble?

Thanks MLR for the link to the jump strips. Those look like they'll take some of the work (frustration ) out of making cups. Question: Why wing jumps vs bar jumps? Wing jumps look like more work.
I also was overwhelmed when I first thought of making the jumps, but really really really really don't be.

While you may have higher standards then I do..... the jumps I make are just for my back yard. They don't have to be perfect. They just have to stand up and hold the jump cup strips!

Buy the 4 way or 5 way joint from cleanrun. Buy the number of jump cup pairs you need (I'd have at least 5 jumps, so that's 5 sets/pairs and how they are sold).

BRING THESE TO HOME DEPOT/LOEWS/HARDWARE STORE and wander looking pathetic for the plumbing guys. Then show him a picture of what you need. You can print out photos from this site or others. If you bring the joints then you know you'll have the right sized PVC.

I like the ratchet snippers cutters rather than a saw, I think it's easier. You can buy a pair and the guys at the store will show you how they work and you can cut some lengths there!

I make my jumps in the house watching tv! I use a metal tape measure and permanent Sharpie pen to mark off lengths. And if I make a mistake, SO WHAT! Cut more, buy more PVC, or cut it again! I do NOT glue anything! The pipes always fit fairly tightly into the joints so they go together and stay together.

PVC Pipe Tubing Cutter
  • Cuts up to 1" PVC pipe - all schedules!
  • Cuts up to 1" CPVC pipe
  • Ratchet cutting for ease of use
  • Durable metal handle stands up to the toughest jobs

Why wings?

One of the things newbies (and certainly me) underestimate when we start agility is what a 'wing' on a jump means TO THE DOG. And it's distance between the handler and the dog. If I misjudge a wing and have to step sideways to not run into it, there's a good chance my dog will pull off that jump or get a refusal. So, as a handler, learning to run a course so the wings aren't in our way. And, to the dog, so they get used to the much bigger distance from the handler and that it's ok, even if out of their comfort zone.

Judges use the wings when they build a course to make it more challenging. They ARE/WILL be in the way. They are something that we have to consider when walking a course, and it's better to be prepared by having the wings in our yard!

This is an attached wing. I 'stole' this design from a set of classes I was attending! Just did a quick drawing, bought the 4 way joint (down on the ground where the feet come out in the 3 way for support and 1 up for the upright...) The rest of the 't's and 'L' joints are regular from the hardware store. If you look closely the center upright (there are 3 pieces going up and vertical in the wing) the CENTER piece is actually a smaller diameter PVC that I had as scrap! It's loose fitting but makes the wing!

These don't have to be perfect! Though you'll be amazed how much better they get as you make them, but even the 1st works just fine.

A friend of mine made wings that just stand beside her jumps, it's extra futzing to move around for me, but she likes them better. They just use 'T's though so don't have to buy the 4 ways from cleanrun.... think she only used the smaller PVC too.

Way easier to get the jump cup strips but love that she's just making do! And the snippers are easier than the saw. Puts together just like tinkertots!

This has using 4 ways joints that I prefer...

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #83 of 87 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Wings are necessary

Even Susan Garrett's 'Success with One Jump' DVD has that one jump with wings on the cover!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 87 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 10:04 AM

mahhi - I think my post above has a little more info that you're looking for. I don't have a complete plan but I wrote out all the materials I used. The PVC tool that MRL posted is the same that I used.

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ml#post2017983

Kristin

Tara NW1 CGC - GSD 2008
Suli - DSH 2006
post #85 of 87 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 09:06 PM
Master Member

Thanks MRL & TaraM for the construction tips on jumps. Does look pretty simple. Hopefully I’ll get around to making my first one this weekend.

MRL, the video w the huskies shows how laborious using a saw can be. Thanks for the video on how to use a PVC cutter. The cutter is definitely the way to go.

TaraM, your “recipe” for jumps is just what I needed. Obviously I missed it the first time through this thread. Glad you directed me to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #86 of 87 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 10:25 PM
Master Member

TA DA! I made a jump!

Here’s my first jump ever made using TaraM’s wing jump plan. Super easy! Being the cheap person I am I thought I’d make jump cups out of cut in half t-connectors. However, once I had the t-connector in hand I decided it was more work than I have tools & patience for & will be ordering jump strips. I’m going to make one more wing jump & one bar jump. Three jumps are probably about all my backyard can accommodate

Many thanks to TaraM, MRL & Wildo for advice & encouragement.

post #87 of 87 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 04:47 AM

I've been looking for this high and low! I'm based in Singapore, and we don't have people who specializes in agility equipment like this!

I would like to have the measurement to start building mine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page