DIY Agility Equipment-(Do it yourself ideas/hints) - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
What are the wings?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildo View Post
See comment #6 in this thread.

What are the point of having wings on the jumps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripsofie View Post
What are the point of having wings on the jumps?
GREAT question!

It makes us, the handler, get AWAY from the dog. The wings actually put a distance between where we are running and the dog is running. If we aren't used to running a course with wings (and neither is the dog) then when we approach a winged jump on a course we, the human, will tend to have our dog right by our side but have to move away from the center of the jump to get around that darn wing (or crash and burn ).

What happens to our dogs when we suddenly dart to the side to get around the wing, is they come with us! Instead of continuing straight over the cross bar, they'll think 'hey, if mom/dad is darting to the side, then I'm going with them!!!!!!!!!!!!! '

A jump without a wing allows dog/handler to almost be in 'heel' position and still have both of us keep running parallel to each other and in a straight line. Also makes the dog think mom/dad has to be really close all the time on a course which isn't an advantage most of the time (I can't run as fast as my dog, I want her to run fast, but it's easier to have her run the far outside of a pinwheel at top speed and I can just stand in the center pivoting!).

Did that help?

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #33 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 10:48 PM

Great response, MRL! That's exactly the reason I'm making wing jumps - I am constantly running into them or almost running into them and completely messing up my handling. Tara and I both need to figure out how to work with a bit more lateral distance and having jump wings will help force us to do that.

Kristin

Tara NW1 CGC - GSD 2008
Suli - DSH 2006
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 87 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 12:22 AM
Crowned Member

Made a travel board to work on contacts. Nothing special, but I felt like building something- especially over engineering something! haha! So I put a center rib down it notching the rib to interlock with the legs. Eh... It was fun. Oh, and Pimg is wet from just getting a bath. My back yard is literally a mud pit...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3849.jpg
Views:	6297
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	6216   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3851.jpg
Views:	1705
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	6217  

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
post #35 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 08:19 PM
Crowned Member

So I'm sitting at work today not feeling overly productive and I decide to take off three hours early (used vacation time). I came home and built Pimg four more single bar jumps. Adjustability is the same as my initial design- 12", 20", and 24"

You can also see just how tore up my yard is. And guess what- it's raining right now... Hello mud!

(This is my first coat of paint. That's why it looks spotty.)

[EDIT]- And you can also see the mud on the tree at least 7' up. This is from Pimg's incessant desire to chase imaginary squirrels on a continual basis.

Willy
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014

Last edited by wildo; 03-23-2011 at 08:22 PM.
post #36 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 10:11 PM
Crowned Member

In spite of the rain this morning and the super cold day, I got all the painting done on all five of my bar jumps. I think they turned out really great! Next up- wings for all of these. Notice that I designed them so a wing can hook right in (see the Tee's pointing out).

Willy
post #37 of 87 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 10:15 PM

Fancy! Nice job!

Kristin

Tara NW1 CGC - GSD 2008
Suli - DSH 2006
post #38 of 87 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 10:21 PM
Crowned Member

Built a proper set of 2x2 weave poles (actually, three sets) today. 24" centers and about 20 pounds or so total. They're made of 3" wide, 3/16" thick steel which I cut and welded. PVC poles are 40" tall, 1" schedule 40. I still have a little work left to do. I'm going to extend the base of two of the sets so that they can be connected into a single set of six poles. I'll finish them tomorrow.

Willy
post #39 of 87 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 04:47 PM
Crowned Member

Was able to finish up the weave poles today (omitting painting, which I will finish today- hopefully). Enjoy the pics! Hopefully they give you guys some ideas for your own. Total cost was about $100 (steel is expensive!!!), but that is still a lot cheaper than the cheapest option in steel.

The weave poles can be disassembled into three sets of two poles using these brackets:

Six poles connected. As we get better and better, we'll progress to twelve poles.

The poles fit into the attachment brackets.

Six poles, offset.

The bracket detached. The idea here was that the bracket can be completely removed so as not to interfere with Pimg's foot placement. Otherwise I would have just welded it in place:

I guess I just noticed that I still need to drill holes in the "legs" in order to stake the poles to the ground... Geesh...

[EDIT]- My inspiration came from here

Willy

Last edited by wildo; 05-30-2011 at 04:51 PM.
post #40 of 87 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 11:33 PM
Crowned Member

I've discovered (though it has been mentioned before) that the standard-grade (as opposed to furniture grade) PVC I used to make my jumps is deteriorating in the sun, assumedly due to the UV rays. It's odd because my jumps are painted even. But if Pimg misses a jump and lands on top of the bar- she is breaking off my jump cups. Since I glued them all together, it's pretty much ruining the jumps! What a shame!

So I've been looking into alternatives to PVC and found the ones in this video. My question is: how do the jump cups work in wood standards? Do any of you guys who compete often see these kinds of standards?

The nice thing about them is that they won't break if I throw a ball at them (which I seem to be very good at doing with my current jumps. They also aren't going to break if Pimg accidently runs into one. I think this is the route I will take for new jumps... I just need to figure out the jump cups.

Willy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page