DIY Agility Equipment-(Do it yourself ideas/hints) - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 87 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Re: DIY Agility Equipment-(Do it yourself ideas/hints)

Tips for a backyard a-frame:

Quote:
Quote: My very first A-frame was made from 2 doors -- hollow core! They did not last very long, so be sure and use solid core. Put 2 large hinges on the underside, and 2 eye bolts (large) on either side about 1/2 way (on the sides facing out). Now, take 2 chains, put hooks on each end and attach the chains to the eye bolts -- that holds the aframe at the height you want. Make the chains long enuf so you can make it really low for a beginner dog. Be sure and paint it with a non skid paint - or paint one coat, throw fine sand all over it, let dry, paint again.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 87 (permalink) Old 12-09-2008, 03:06 PM
Crowned Member

Any ideas for do it yourself weave pole wire guides?

Kathy

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
PTE,AG2,AN,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UACH,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,AX,OAJ,NF,RE,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
post #13 of 87 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:Any ideas for do it yourself weave pole wire guides?
I no longer train with the guidewires cause now I think it's just ANOTHER thing you have to then train the dog to NOT use.... (just another step, like if you papertrain your dog in the house, and THEN train them outdoors, you just trained a step in the middle that you do NOT ultimately want).

So I just use my channel weaves and keep the channel open longer so they can use their brains to figure 'weaving' out. Instead of using the 'crutch' of the wires. BTW, I have seen dogs that seem to look more to the outside and the guidewires as they 'weave'. Then look to the inside and the POLES as they weave. So when you pull the guides it is a completely different visual picture to them like they never saw weavepoles at all!

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 87 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 09:52 PM

Ok... I went out and bought out the PVC lot at Lowes today...well not really but enough to make some jumps, a ladder, and some weave poles. I am going to use the plans from Instantagility.com unless someone has some other thoughts? I am curious where you get those jump cups on your jumps MRL? I couldn't even find the pieces I need for the instructions I have, and that is just for one bar. I like that yours can hold multiple bars or be easily adjusted.

Dianna
Argo vom Wildhaus SchH 3, AWD 1, P1, RN, TT, CGC, HOT
Eris vom Wildhaus SchH 3,IPO3 P1, OAJ, OA, NF, RN, TT, CGC, HOT
Isis vom Wildhaus KAB (kick-ass bitch)OB1, TR1, BH, CGC
Nova vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 87 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: DinahmyteOk... I went out and bought out the PVC lot at Lowes today...well not really but enough to make some jumps, a ladder, and some weave poles. I am going to use the plans from Instantagility.com unless someone has some other thoughts? I am curious where you get those jump cups on your jumps MRL? I couldn't even find the pieces I need for the instructions I have, and that is just for one bar. I like that yours can hold multiple bars or be easily adjusted.
The jump cup strips and FIVE way PVC connectors are both available from the cleanrun.com site. At this point I've jerry rigged jumps and jump cups in the past and found it just not worth it. Better to get the strips/5-way PVC and then make the rest of the jump around it.

The 5-way connectors allow a wing to be easily added and I REALLY REALLY REALLY recommend some type of wing on practice jumps. Forces the handler (me?) to NOT babysit a jump and instead get myself (and my dog) used to being at a lateral distance from me and still take the jump.

Click here for jump cups

Click here for PVC connectors

These make GREAT GIFTS for those that are always having friends/family saying 'what do you want for Valentine's Day/Birthdays/Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!

post #16 of 87 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 03:44 PM

I don't know if you guys are familiar with Instructables but someone there posted instructions on how to create an A-Frame: DIY Dog Agility A-Frame

The frame looks like this:

post #17 of 87 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 07:21 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
The 5-way connectors allow a wing to be easily added and I REALLY REALLY REALLY recommend some type of wing on practice jumps.
What are the wings?

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
post #18 of 87 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 07:47 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
What are the wings?
See comment #6 in this thread.

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
post #19 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 01:22 PM
Crowned Member

More DIY agility equipment

Built a bar jump, and am currently working on a ladder walk. The jump has cups for 12", 20" and 24" in case we decided to jump at that height. I also put Tees in so I can hook wings to the jump if I want to. The jump is 48" wide and 36" tall. For the jump cups, I simply cut down a slip tee on the bandsaw, as you can see in the last pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3732.jpg
Views:	4332
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	5722   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3733.jpg
Views:	3404
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	5723   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3734.jpg
Views:	8085
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	5724   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3735.jpg
Views:	8876
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	5725  

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
post #20 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 01:28 PM
Crowned Member

My husband cut the tees in half, then sanded out the center to make me clip on jump cups.

btw...the plastic step in fence posts at Tractor supply make great weave poles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page