Weave Poles - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 08:30 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Re: Weave Poles

Quote:
Quote: when you say "straight on entry"
I mean start with the EASIEST entry and only gradually adding an angle by adjusting your position.

Ok, I only have a CanonPowershot still camera but it will do teeny videos (60 sec), so I had to 'rush' the training with what I'm trying to describe. Keep in mind, I've been doing entry training with Bretta for years, so there is NO WAY you'd expect this from a dog you just started. You'd progress much slower 'around the clock'.

ALWAYS stop with the dog succeeding. If they aren't getting a particular angle, back up and make it easier. Click when the dogs nose goes around the first pole for the entry (I was clicking with my word 'click' cause the clicker wasn't loud enough for you to hear). I'm also using a toy as a reward. Much better to use food initially, faster reward and they can think better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43Oi4rLbcKg

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 08:47 AM
Master Member

OK! will do. I think the 3-pole will help it be more visually obvious for her, which will make success much easier.

Lori
& Kaliope (aka Kali) & Helo the GSDs
& emma, tibers and honipie
her (somewhat) trusting cats
always in our hearts:
Ozymandius (aka Ozy) GSD
& Twinka & Moji
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Crowned Member

I like the way you use the toy with the weaves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 11:24 AM

MRL - good video! Bretta is so good

When Aster was first learning entries we used the set of three. Its pretty easy to build a metal base for a set of three if you just get some aluminum bars and drill through to set your poles. My dad built me two of them. I liked the set of three because then you're just focused on the entry and not the other 9 poles.

We've actually been missing a couple entries recently... hmmm this might be today's training exercise

~Deanna
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 12:07 PM

Since I'm a huge proponent of using a toy in training to get the crazy 'drive' and joy for the game going, I always try to progress to using a toy.

But I can't use it as well in the preliminary stages cause Bretta gets SO excited she loses her mind and the 'teaching' something new isn't near as good. So I start with tons of teeny real food treats until I can see she's getting it. Then add the toy to get her to do the same behavior with the 'stress' and excitment of the toy in the mix. It's a big 'distraction' as well as a reward, but she has learned she needs to listen, do what's asked and THEN get the toy!

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-21-2010, 10:57 AM

The nice thing about starting with channel weaves is as Jen says the dog learns better to focus straight ahead not on the handler. I also trained Kahlua with me at a distance from her - I knew I would need good weave control at distances up to 22' for AAC Gamblers so never got in her face or close to her at the start. I tried using the treat stick (or whatever its called) that Jane Simmons Moake recommended to me at her seminar I took but Kahlua was too fast for me to manage that so gave it up quickly.

I've always had speed from her so the channels allowed her to keep speed and learn to drive ahead.

Pat

Pat,ATChC,Lifetime Achievement,C
ATCH4,CSATCH Killian(SG Argon vom Haus Johann Dale)SchH3,IPO3;MSCDC;NA,NJP;ChSt,JP,Cl,Wc,Jp,Sn;N ,OAC,O-NJC,NCC,TN-N,TG-N;RNMCL,RAMCL

post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 10:54 PM

post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 10:29 PM

MRL, did you like the shaping method you used with Glory? How do you find her weaves to compare with the channel method?

Kristin

Tara NW1 CGC - GSD 2008
Suli - DSH 2006
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraM1285 View Post
MRL, did you like the shaping method you used with Glory? How do you find her weaves to compare with the channel method?
I started the training knowing it wouldn't hurt, to humor the instructor , and knowing I had channel weaves at home to 'really' train.

Well wouldn't you know, she learned to weave really well WITHOUT the channels! Cause it was winter and the channels were under snow and ice I just was using the weekly in class shaping. And by the time the channels were out of the snow she pretty much had it!

I think I MAYBE had the channels with a tiny bit of split for a brief time in my yard, but not sure if that did anything to help or not.

Will say that having the instructor there made a difference cause there are timing issues with the clicker that helps, and the fact you go to clicking each time the dog goes away (to the next pole) with NO treats until you toss it along the ground as they exit was a bit confusing for a brief time to the dog.

post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 01:11 AM
Two

How much do these weave bars usually cost if I wanted to get one at my house? Not too much I wouldn't think?

In the process of becoming a GSD owner.

Goals: Agility training, possible Schutzhund, great friend / companion!

-Jimmy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page