Weave Poles - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 07:39 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Re: Weave Poles

I say bite the bullet and get the expensive ones. Though the cost in 'painful' you are right about the stability issue.

Exactly what we train and want, crazy fast drivey dogs in the weaves, is what will make PVC bases get trashed. The metal ones just are the way to go. They do last forever, and you WILL have to practice forever, so it's worth it down the line.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 03:42 AM
Master Member

Yup don't get the PVC ones. We taught my oldest on cheap weaves and all he has learnt is basicaly to stick his head down and barge the poles out of the way. It took a fair amount of retraining to get him back to speed but actually weaving (we were worried about his head and broken poles!)
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 09:12 PM

Just to clarify - I'm asking about channel weaves, not regular ones. Yes, I have metal-base regular weave poles (cuz there's NO WAY anything else would hold up to my girlie! ) ... I'm just wondering if anyone else has experience with the all-PVC channel things, and whether they're worth it or not (cuz they're a helluva lot less $$$ than the metal-base channel weaves).

Julie Chapman -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- and
Suka (Suka v. Sapphire Mountain CDX RE MX2 MXJ2 MXF NAP NJP BH)
Colter (Gryphon v. Adler Stein)
Bria (Gilliath v. Wildhaus AX AXJ NF)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 09:34 PM
Master Member

The metal based are the way to go. Luckily I learnt from my friends mistake. She opted for the pvc but they didn't last.

It hurts to spend the $$ but if you do it right the first time you save in the long run.

Michelle
Ava (6 yr old boxer)
Mia (4 yr old Brussels Griffon)
Quincy (GSD 10/03/07)
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 09:36 PM

Tell you what worked for me so I didn't buy a full set of training channels (but DID have a full set in the weekly classes).

I had a full set of 12 weaves with the metal bases, that is made to be a set of 6 and a set of 6.

I took one set of my weaves and dragged it down beside the other set. then (and you have to think a bit for this so you pull the right ones) I went down both side and removed every other pole. Hm, look familiar?

Leaves me with a 1/2 set of channel weaves that I can use in the yard and slowly start pushing together. Make sure you do remove the proper 'every other pole' or when they get pushed right together you'll see you've messed up the entry.

The only problem with this is that when it comes to the time a training set of channels can really be closed entirely, these will not. The base will be in the way. But it will close down fairly tight. And I found Bretta and Elsa slowed initially when I finally got to the stage I had to again put the sets end to end like they are made to me for a full set of 12. So kind of suddenly there was no channel at all.

But the fact I had SO much love for weaving and drive thru the poles. And I kept my criteria and method the same (just had her going alot slower while they figured it out and brought out the clicker and more frequent rewards for a bit) and they picked it up within a week or so. A full set of fully closed 12 weaves from my jerry rigged set of 6.

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 10:42 PM

MRL - ahh, now THAT'S good info! I'd wondered if I couldn't just do this - have 2 sets of 6 metal base poles side by side (and your caution is well-taken about which poles to remove). I have just a set of 6 metal-base poles, and a jury-rigged set of 10 my husband made from lumber and PVC, which works reasonably well. I sometimes put them end to end and have Suka do all 16, so she doesn't get patterned on only doing a certain number.

I'd much rather buy another set of 6 metal-base weaves (for $125) that I can hook to my first 6 than spend a minimum of $250 - $350 for 12 channel weaves OUCH .

I am SO GLAD I found this forum! I am SO GLAD you guys are all here and willing to share thoughts and experiences!!

Julie Chapman -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- and
Suka (Suka v. Sapphire Mountain CDX RE MX2 MXJ2 MXF NAP NJP BH)
Colter (Gryphon v. Adler Stein)
Bria (Gilliath v. Wildhaus AX AXJ NF)
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 03:49 AM
Master Member

Yup that is how I went when teaching my girl with channel weaves. Took the full set and removed every other pole as MaggieRoseLee says.
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 06:30 AM
Master Member

I have weaving question: Kali does them fine now, but entrances are tricky. She will wrap around from the opposite site (yeh! very awesome) but when we start sending from the side of the entrance I can only send her from about a 10 degree angle and then she starts hitting the 2nd entrance. What is a good way to get her onto this, other than indicating that she hit it wrong and calling her back repeatedly?

Lori
& Kaliope (aka Kali) & Helo the GSDs
& emma, tibers and honipie
her (somewhat) trusting cats
always in our hearts:
Ozymandius (aka Ozy) GSD
& Twinka & Moji
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 07:14 AM

She needs to never be wrong.

But DOES get the click/reward when she's 'right'.

Also, I learned to teach entries by pulling off all but the first 3 poles. Getting the clicker out and really yummy treats. Then starting a few steps back with a straight on entry.

When she would get that, then I would start an 'around the clock' handler method to start making the entry at a bit of an angle. So still from a few steps back (you want the dog to THINK and figure out what's earning the click/treat, if you shape it too much so they are 'forced' to do it right, there is no THINKING. And I want my dogs to be THINKING). So maybe just a 1/2 step to the right and then tell her to weave. When she gets that, then another 1/2 step or so. ONLY progress so they are getting it RIGHT (the 'setting them up to succeed thing').

And once you do a bit from one side then make sure you ALWAYS then start around the clock the other direction. If you notice they seem to have more trouble with one side then the other, then you need to make sure you use MORE treats, more rewards and practice that side much more than the other to start with their learning.

I use the 3 poles cause I want the instant feed back of the 'YES' the click gives and the ability to feed without also accidentally teaching my dog that I am constantly going to be pullling them out of a real set when they are weaving right. Instead I really can teach just the entry, and how to weave a set of 3 poles. Just as I also sometimes use 6 and 12 poles. For ALL the entry is the same and you weave to the end.

post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 08:18 AM
Master Member

when you say "straight on entry" do you mean sending her at 90 degrees so the opening is at the widest (does this make sense? wish i could draw a picture). I have been starting with sending her from almost 180 degrees (so she is looking at the first pole) and trying to work around from there.
I will try the "3 pole method" and see how that works.
thanks

Lori
& Kaliope (aka Kali) & Helo the GSDs
& emma, tibers and honipie
her (somewhat) trusting cats
always in our hearts:
Ozymandius (aka Ozy) GSD
& Twinka & Moji
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page