Training Contacts for Agility - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 08:51 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Re: Training Contacts for Agility

ArtistInNature & I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO sorry you are having problems.

They sound like the reason I'm not going to ever do the running thing, consistancy and training will be just too hard for me to keep straight!

The only reason I would NOT do a 2on/2off is cause of the reason people give that it's alot of pressure on the dogs front end to stop at the bottom. But the way I get around that is I do the vast amount of training with the contacts lowered (specially the aframe) when my dogs learn the position. And then I only do full height at trials and class, so it's really very few times in total at full height.

And if we have problems I go back to training with the lowered contacts, and sometime just taking the dog up and onto the end (NOT over the entire peice of equipment). Then may backchain a bit.

Good luck for whatever ends up working well for you all. I know it's still the 2on/2off with a quick release if I need the time, and if we have NQ'ed it's great cause I couldn't care less about the time and not only make her stick them, but throw in some extra front crosses just cause I can!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 04:01 PM
Knighted Member

MRL- did you get the new clean run and read the article about running contacts?? I think we are going to use that box idea to get a more reliable running contact.

ADCH Mikko (USDAA) SCH-B; (NADAC) EAC, EJC, TN-E, TG-E, VerO; (AKC) NAJ, CGC; (NACSW) NW1 - 9 year old GSD

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 05:30 PM

I didn't read the article but make sure you get back to us about how it's working.

I think running contacts are a great idea. Problem is all the training methods I've seen are very training intensive and more than I'm easily able to wrap my mind around to train RELIABLY.

I do know some people that have great running contacts, but they mainly have small dogs OR are trainers that can really devote the time and money (and have the great facilities and equipment) to train well consistantly.

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 05:13 PM

Training Contacts for Agility

Fresh off the video camera!!! How I teach (and was taught) to train the 2on/2off! And you can do it with a young pup. This is my friend Carol with her GSP AvaBelle who's not even a year old (the dog, Carol is just a tad older).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnLXtbcpgfw

And another good site with info on other ideas for training this:

http://www.clickertraining.com/node/1120

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Thought I would give you all an update. Kai started 'proper' see-saw training at club a couple of weeks ago (15.5 months) and was learning with a large table under the drop end so that the drop was only about a foot max. He kept bailing out unless Ian had a hand on his collar so we just carried on targeting for a 2o2o at the end and not rewarding a bail off.

Today Ian decided to do some stuff at home (just gone 16 months now) on a garden see-saw we have (1.5 foot pivot, 2.5 metre length). Kai was again cagey so he started with a table under the up end and a few towels to deaden the recoil. After a couple of 10 minute session Kai is now FLYING over it to hit 2o2o. I will try and post some video tomorrow but I love this boy so much for his attitude and learning curve!
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 10:40 PM

Just found some great training video with 2on/2off using the target and clicker!

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 02-08-2011 at 09:53 PM.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 11:49 PM

I am working on a few videos showing the foundation skills and contact training I did with Tara. The first one is perch work, which is important to teach rear end awareness. Tara really has a pretty good understanding that she has both front feet and back feet and she can move them all independently. I attribute that to perch training. It's also just great fun as a shaping exercise!

Kristin

Tara NW1 CGC - GSD 2008
Suli - DSH 2006
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 09:49 PM

Here is the second video on target training. Target training is another foundation skill that I think was extremely helpful in teaching Tara 2on/2off contacts. We do 2on/2off with a nose touch to the ground to keep the dog's head low and drive forward and to avoid injury.

My kitty helper makes an appearance again and is quite obnoxious stealing Tara's treats.

Kristin

Tara NW1 CGC - GSD 2008
Suli - DSH 2006
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 05:14 AM
Crowned Member

NICE video on trageting Kristin- exactly what I was looking for. We started target training just a couple days ago and I was surprised to not find a lot on youtube. I'm glad to come across this video this morning, as it will help me quite a bit. I was bummed to not hear a bluegrass background though

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 10:54 PM

Here is the third video showing our foundation work for 2on/2off contacts with a board.

This video was a bit more difficult to show the shaping progression. Tara loves to contact and it's hard to take her back to the basics of the shaping exercise. The board is actually covered with a towel because I thought that changing the surface slightly may make her reconsider the exercise, but it really didn't help much. If possible, I would recommend using a slightly longer board - five or more feet long.

Kristin

Tara NW1 CGC - GSD 2008
Suli - DSH 2006
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page