Agility Socialization IS a must! (photos/videos) - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 03:45 PM
Knighted Member

I just signed Jake up for a foundations class, we start Jan 15. I am soooooo nervous he is going to be a nut the first few times! I take him everywhere BUT I have a feeling the silly butthead stage will be front and center.
Anything I can do NOW??

Renee'

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeandrenee View Post
I just signed Jake up for a foundations class, we start Jan 15. I am soooooo nervous he is going to be a nut the first few times! I take him everywhere BUT I have a feeling the silly butthead stage will be front and center.
Anything I can do NOW??
LOVE and appreciate the silly butthead stage cause it's SO much better than a fearful or tentative dog! You'll just be learning (as he's maturing) to focus all that crazy in a good way!

If you watch my youtubes of Glory in her early class days... she totally leaves me to crash into the camera person to say hey.... and the instructor to say hey, and other dogs to say hey.... it's all fine when it's happy and fun and you can work to get your pup right back.

Getting a good start on clicker training is always a plus. Even just 'charging' the clicker and having our pups learn that when they hear the sound, the treat is coming!

Figuring out the best treats and getting them pea-sized for training (cheese/chicken/beef/hotdogs/whatever (NOT usually 'real' dog treats).

Weather in the winter does make going to classes and training more of a challenge. Hey, have you seen the videos on perch training? That you can do indoors and uses the clicker/treats/and getting our dogs to learn rear end awarenes...

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 07:58 PM
Knighted Member

I use a clicker from time to time.....I am just so nervous but you are right he is going to want to say hello to everyone the first few times....and I guess the instructors expect this. I joined this class to do something fun with Jake...it was time for a break from OB classes. He has been in classes since 10 weeks old and he will be 10 months! And I also know it builds focus under distraction and a better bond. Jake is going to be a huge male so going really far in this venue won't be an option but I think we can have fun and I can enrich his life!

Renee'

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
Ok, now got a video to show benefits of socialization and what can be expected and NORMAL for all our dogs!

YouTube - German Shepherd Socialization - Wildhaus Reunion Winter 2008

That is a wonderful video thanks Maggie! It is so amazing how relaxed, and calm thoes dogs are! You made a good point about how socialization is important!
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 09:12 AM
Elite Member

Watch out with the saying "hey" part of agility. My Tim ran thru the tunnel all happy and stopped by to say "hey" to a sheltie who promptly went "cujo" and hung onto his ruff. Poor Tim fell over trying to get away. I had to grab Tim and haul him away as the sheltie was on a leash but the owner was too freaked to actually jerk his dog away. Proper socialization would be a good thing and if you have an attack sheltie, please stay away!!
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-08-2011, 09:40 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
That is a wonderful video thanks Maggie! It is so amazing how relaxed, and calm thoes dogs are! You made a good point about how socialization is important!
I agree! And temperament and genetics! LOL Wonderful video!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page