Agility Socialization IS a must! (photos/videos) - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 01:16 PM
Crowned Member

I do not have any photo's but I do have a video of an agility event that I will post later.

I just have to say, even though we are not pursuing agility (we train for fun in this event at the moment) for titles at this point and time, we still try to head out to trials for the socialization aspect.

If they allow outside dogs, we are there.

It is a great place to meet people, dogs, get your dog use to the noise and work on having your dog focus on you in the middle of all the kaos.

Stark went to his first trial at around 14 weeks old and all we did was walk around, sit under the shade and watch all the happenings. Now at 13, almost 14 months old, we still do this when we can. Why? Because the environment is so rich and busy that it will wonders for not only the socialization aspect of your dogs life but also allow your dog to learn to look to you for guidance in these situations. Focus work can happen in the house or in the middle of this kaos! It may be shorter stints of time in the beginning, like a second or two - maybe, but you got the focus so you can build on it over time!

I always enjoy going to the trials and not only watching the dogs and handlers but also you learn so much from the people who are as dedicated to their dogs as you are, that and they usually have some awsome vendors at the events!

Here is an indoor agility event I went too with Stark, it was an agility trial as well as a dog event called Puppy Pawlooza.

Stark was 15(?) weeks old I believe.

Here are the photo's and I will upload a video later today.

They also had a course set up just on the other side of the vendors, but the main course was inside (video).

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 01:54 PM
Knighted Member

Lakoda will get to visit an Agitily Trial this weekend. She's 4 months old now. My trainer started a class for people that want to do more than the basics in puppy school, she's calling it a "performance" dog class. I've taken Lakoda to a few basic puppy classes mainly for the socialization part prior to it. This perfomance class is nice, about 7 of us that are more serious than the average person that goes to puppy classes. Had our second class last sunday. Once again it was hard to get Lakoda to focus on "me". Everything else is much more interesting. I can probably answer my own question....more training time outside of my livingroom. Maybe it's her age as well. When we are in my livingroom she is right on cue, even looking for something to make me click, recalls quickly, stays and anything else I ask. Outside its like she turns a deaf ear to me. It can be really fustrating.
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 02:06 PM
Crowned Member

Exposure to EVERYTHING and YOU being MORE FUN than the things around her will help with focus too.

I always make focus work FUN because I want the dog to associate looking at me with "ooooh fun things happen when I pay attention! What will this crazy Momma do next? Will she ask me to join in?!"

XX z Weberhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 02:07 PM
Crowned Member

Michael Ellis has some great DVD's out there on engagement and training with food and toys. They are amazing!

XX z Weberhaus
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 04:14 PM
Knighted Member

I would like to know what is a good age to get started? I know pups should not jump etc,Training club here starts a beginner class at 6 months, isn't that too young???

Opinions please...
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeandrenee View Post
I would like to know what is a good age to get started? I know pups should not jump etc,Training club here starts a beginner class at 6 months, isn't that too young???

Opinions please...
I started puppy agility class when my puppy was only about 10 weeks old! So if the instructors are good and doing agility foundation work (not jumping full height or other things that could injure a puppy) you can easily start at 6 months.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 01:16 AM

Ok, so my question is: I don't have an adult who is trialing right now, I'm training my first agility dog, so I'm nothing more than a spectator. Can I take my puppy to a trial (to walk around and socialize and practice focusing, etc..)? Which organizations allow this, or does it just depend on the trial? How do I find out if it is ok to bring her? There are not an awful lot of trials in this area so it is frustrating trying to find opportunities. And no group puppy classes worth attending.
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 01:52 AM
Elite Member

This was one of my biggest areas to socialize Madix. I worked on slightly different socialization though. He was not a very social, outgoing pup - it made him very uncomfortable which usually resulted in inappropriate behavior. So, instead of asking him to be "social", I brought him to VERY high traffic, intense areas like agility trials and asked him to focus on me. We worked on impulse control with a toy, basic obedience etc etc. He does quite well thus far. I have it to a point now where if I have a toy and I'm asking him to focus, a dog can even sniff him forcefully and he'll ignore (although I try to avoid those situations). I am people claustrophobic so I do my best to stay out of tight groups for myself, I am SURE he can sense that so it's been a very good test for us to practice.

One other arena that I think is MUCH more out of control is Flyball tournaments. The dogs usually don't have as much obedience put on them and over-drivey (what I think of as naughty) behavior is acceptable and occasionally encouraged. I haven't tried this venue with him yet but we're training for it so hopefully I'll be able to bring him soon....
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldcreek View Post
Ok, so my question is: I don't have an adult who is trialing right now, I'm training my first agility dog, so I'm nothing more than a spectator. Can I take my puppy to a trial (to walk around and socialize and practice focusing, etc..)? Which organizations allow this, or does it just depend on the trial? How do I find out if it is ok to bring her? There are not an awful lot of trials in this area so it is frustrating trying to find opportunities. And no group puppy classes worth attending.
Not sure how far in distance you've been looking for classes. I know I always try to find something close too, but am now currently traveling over an hour or my weekly classes. Fact is, for any type of training you and your pup will do much better if you can locate a good training facility with the equipment and instructors to help.

That said, ANY type of classes are good for socialization. So as long as they are positive based (treats/praise) for the younger pups, you may not have the best class with the best instructor but you WILL still have had a fabulous socialization opportunity with the car ride, class situation, other people, other pups, and some type of training atmosphere. Puppy classes are supposed to be set up to appear somewhat like madness, and while they seem to be chaos, they aren't supposed to be a rigid and controlled either.

I know for AKC trials, you aren't allowed to take unentered dogs to the trial site. That said, we all do. Either because we have older/younger dogs that aren't trialing and we can't leave them home alone all day. Or we are purposely taking a dog to get socialized and used to the trial environment. Many trials are in public parks with other people dogs wandering around anyways, so hard to figure who's who.

You can NOT have a prong collar on your pup at the trial site, so many of us have the gentle leader harnesses so we keep some type of control.

This was at an indoor agility trial

This is an outdoor trial with my older dogs PLUS the socialization of Glory B (around 2 minutes is the end of the trial)

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 12-29-2010 at 09:42 AM.
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 02:56 PM

Thanks for the reply. She has finished an AKC STAR class, one agility private, been to a herding trial, watched herding lessons, goes to Home Depot, feed stores, festivals in the park, etc... but she needs more, more, more.

Winter just makes it really hard, as driving conditions are dangerous. Like you, I have 1 1/2 hour drive for obedience type classes. There are no puppy agility classes that I'm aware of. I'm on a waiting list for group agility classes (not puppy class) with a really great trainer, she's 2 hrs each way. Ugh... There is another agility trainer about 1 hr 15 mins away. I don't really get along with her and her classes are just drop-in style, but I think that may be the best bet for now, to have the new equipment and environment to work in.

Ok, I don't want to whine too much. I'll have to try to sneak into a trial sometime soon. And see what I can work out for classes.

By the way, I LOVE your Glory B! I've watched some of your other youtube videos in the past. Your dogs are gorgeous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page