Agility Socialization IS a must! (photos/videos) - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Re: Agility Socialization IS a must! (photos)

Ok, now got a video to show benefits of socialization and what can be expected and NORMAL for all our dogs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBMwtlq7FPw

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 06:16 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Agility Socialization IS a must! (photos/videos)

Quote:
Originally Posted By: MaggieRoseLeeI frequently say that about 1/2 of 'agility' isn't anything about aglity at all. But is all about the great work we did (or didn't know to do) in our dog's socialization. AGILITY TRIALS ARE NUTS! And I don't know any other dog trial venue that is the same, for the entire day. Tons of dogs, tons of people, shops right beside the ring having the wind blowing the smells of treats/bones/bully sticks right into the ring......
The first time I did agility with my dog in a show was at a county or state fair. It was crazy. My Golden's first run, in the middle of it she saw the people pressed against the ring fencing and decided it was her job to go around and greet them all (didn't help that she smelled one of our family members were out there.)

I've found two things which are even crazier than an agility trial... One is the pet show in my area every year. It is 2 floors of ALL types of pets including shows for dogs, cats, birds, etc... They have human food vendors and pet food/treat vendors as well as vendors for everything else you can possibly think of, breed rescue groups, breed club booths, training club booths, small animal booths (rats, ferrets, rabbits), miniature horses, etc... In the midst of this they have different performance events like agility, freestyle, dock dogs, weight pulling, and sometimes breed specialty shows. One year my Golden met a miniature donkey while walking around the show (she fell in love with that donkey!) When I went to the household cat show last year, someone walked their GSD right across the show, directly in front of the judging table while a cat was out. Luckily the cat on the table was my cat Church who totally ignores dogs.

The other thing I've found which was crazier than an agility trial is a walkathon for one of the big humane societies. They also have vendors, dog contests, sometimes "fun agility", sometimes frisbee or agility demos, food vendors, and of course thousands of dogs and people all walking together. I used to do an agility demo at one walkathon in Michigan but it wasn't as huge as the ones we have here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 04:46 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Agility Socialization IS a must! (photos/videos)

Great post & something I'm up against right now. I want to enter my boy Storm in the NADAC (indoor) trial in June here in town & part of me says, do it & another says, not sure. He is dog reactive at times. Only seems when they run right at him, get in his face or bubble. Trainer says, he will focus & be fine once your on the course. He does fine in class with some real crazy dogs that have gotten in his face lately.

I entered him in a rally trial coming up next weekend & will see how that goes I guess.

Most of the time people keep in crates/x-pens till their runs & have seen some dogs that seem like they don't know any obed. .

Neat pics..................

~Jen~

Sable~ GSD NJP, OJP, NAP, NAJ, NA, TN-N, NAC, NJC, CGC
Shadow~ BGSD *Adopted* RN, CGC
Storm~ GSD RA, TN-N, CGC
Skyrah~ GSD, CGC

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Glory B-socialization at the agility trial (video)

Ok, finally got this put together from LAST weekend's indoor agility trial. She was such a good girl!

Click here for more Glory B !

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 07:02 PM
Knighted Member

Re: Glory B-socialization at the agility trial (video)

OMG...you're one of THOSE people...with a pup who is too young to be at a trial AND on a flexi lead!!!

Silence is Golden ~ Duct tape is Silver.

FO UCD ARCHX RLVX3 RL1X RL2X Joobie Toozday VCD1 HT RA OA OAJ NF CD-H JJ-N CTL1 TT CGC
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 07:03 PM

Jenn, I can't believe you are friends with Toby and her Berners! I just got back from doing vet work in NM with her a couple weeks ago. I thought that was our TBAC trial a couple weeks ago at first.

~Deanna
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted By: sleachyOMG...you're one of THOSE people...with a pup who is too young to be at a trial AND on a flexi lead!!!
Yup, that's ME!!! And the flexi was for that trial only, she's now on only a 4' or shorter at trials. I NEVER use a flexi on my adult dogs but for the puppies and sometimes getting all tangled the flexi is sometimes better.

And I'd never wait until they are older to socialize them in a trial environment. Between the crating experience, tents/sunshades, indoor vs. outdoor, all the people/sights/sounds, that only come up at at trial.................. I want to start when my pups are happy and enthusiastic and still going with the flow!

And Glory definitely is.

post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Re: Glory B-socialization Hiking at 14.5 weeks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc3pNhDOuwU

Just from today!

post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 09:43 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Glory B-socialization Hiking at 14.5 weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted By: MaggieRoseLee
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc3pNhDOuwU

Just from today!
This is fabulous. HILARIOUS that Bretta kept getting the stick and then putting it down in front of anyone so they would throw it! Love it, so funny Kelso does the same thing with a ball it is uncanny!

What good dogs, they are beautiful and very well behaved

-Steph

GSD's
Allie, gotcha 7/2007

Forever our angels
Meeka, b. 10/31/94-11/25/06
Kelso, b. 9/3/2006-2/09/12
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Anyone with updates for this sticky?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page