Just for fun - not competing? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 01:15 PM
Crowned Member

We practice the 'in-real life-versions' of various sports and obedience (except IPO!). And we are in Rally Class. Deja and I are two content buddies, keeping each other fit and healthy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 03:16 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchrest View Post
@Heartandsoul, thank you! Exactly the kinds of things I was looking for. I’m trying to upload videos to YouTube to share, but can’t figure it out. I’ll have to have DH show me when he gets home 🤣.

The reason for not wanting to compete or seek out clubs is because I’m next level introvert. As in, even if it’s a family member, and a visit wasn’t arranged, and they try a drop in, I just won’t answer the door. I don’t go to family events with DH, because the thought of it sends me down an anxiety spiral, and I break out in hives. When we take the pup to the vet, DH chats everyone up, asking questions about their dogs, just being a normal human I guess. When I take her, I sit quietly, don’t engage with other dog owners there, and if one starts talking to me, I give brief answers that leaves no room for additional questions. For example:

Q) Oh, why is the poor guy wearing a muzzle, she’s too young to be in a muzzle.

A) broken jaw

Q) oh no, how did that happen?

A) doggie door

At that point, they either realize I have no peopling skills and no desire to have a conversation, or they prattle on about this cousins dog who had a broken jaw, and we did this and this and that, and you should try this and this and that. I just stay disengaged, and they normally walk away thinking I’m a total B. Which is A okay with me! Can’t stand small talk, don’t want to engage with strangers.

I’ve always been able to flip it on for work, because I was a single parent for most of my boys life, and then again for most of my girls lives, and I didn’t have a choice. But I would be mentally exhausted and drained by the time I would get home.

So now I just blabber all over a dog forum for human interaction, and vomit replies that are chapter books, because it’s a comfortable way for me to engage without having to actually engage, if that makes sense.
I can identify with that....

I came close to running away and not going in the ring with my dogs our first try. A friend of mine and some very kind strangers encouraged me and I started out in the nicest venue in the world.

Slowly it has morphed into...it's just a silly dog show. I don't talk to stupid people if I can help it. If we do good...bonus. but at the end my only question for my dog and myself is, did we have fun? Because if we didn't both have fun, what are we doing here?

I know some people have some thoughts about me. That's okay, I have them about you too. LOL.

One thing I am admittedly shallow about is I like ribbons and titles and stuff. Makes me happy to have something to show for all our hard work. So I enjoy collecting that stuff.
Cassidy's Mom likes this.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:05 PM
Elite Member

@Jchrest, your welcome :-) since you are not going to compete, one of the most fun things that my boy loves is when I send him through the tunnel, I time it so that I throw a ball right before he come flying out and has something rolling for him to chase. Or when he comes out, Iím standing far away but in his running path with my arm held out and ball in my open palm so when he flys by he snatches the ball from my hand.

I set the tarp over the front just a few inches from,the ground so He never knows which he is going to be met with when I send him through.

Grabbed a couple more pics from my phone via pic of a pic from my iPad.

Junkyard trash barrel tunnel.

And also ball fetching ala pumpkin. After a couple fetches it broke, he ate then returned it. Lol

Just for fun - not competing?-4a0c9258-2429-4599-a5e3-fc8fbb7a4545.jpg

Just for fun - not competing?-482b2ebd-0470-4e49-8ae8-19023d3860bd.jpg

The social discomfort anxiety stinks. All of my kids played sports through out their school years so there was no getting around the social functions that went with it. I was kind of the quiet lump on the log or used jokes here and there to relieve the inner pressure and bowed out as early as I could. Not quite as bad as you described but hard enough. And one word answers do suffice.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 06:34 PM

I use to work on a Hunter/Jumper horse farm & my Siberian Husky came to work with me every day. This was before we had a German Shepherd. I worked 6 days a week & often 10-13 hour days. On my lunch break, in the beginning, if anyone had their dog there, we'd take them into the indoor ring to play. In the process, of running, chasing, & playing with one another, my dog would ocassionaly jump the jump if it was in his way. When we didn't have any other dogs to play with, I started teaching him to jump whichever jump I directed him to. We both had fun.

A tired dog is a well behaved dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page