The Agility Adventure Begins! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

The Agility Adventure Begins!

Well, the adventure begins (again)! Those who saw an earlier thread know that I recently had some agility equipment set up in my yard and that Newlie took exception to it and tried to eat it. So we decided to back up and give him time to get used to the equipment being in the yard. That has worked well. We would go out in the yard several times a day and play with his beloved ball and just sort of ignore the presence of the equipment.

Since things were going well after a few days, I started hitting his ball in the direction of the equipment and then gradually moved in closer. Pretty soon, he was retrieving his ball all around the pieces and underneath them. Then, I started doing things like sitting on the A Frame (not easy to do by the way) and the teeter and calling Newlie over to me and luring him with a ball to weave through some of the weave poles. He is so ball driven that he doesn't even know he is doing this, he is just following the ball.

So, this morning, I thought I would try the jump. There was no bar on it other than the bar at the bottom holding the two uprights together. He jumped over it 5 or 6 times to get the reward of his ball!!!! What a good boy!!!
Aly, dogma13, KaiserAus and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 12:17 PM
Knighted Member

No pictures?😊

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 12:59 PM

excellent. My sis suggested I do agility with my dogs. She did many trials with her BCs and still photographs many events. I told her no way was I putting all of that gear in my yard

Looking forward to seeing Newlie strut his stuff on the course.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
No pictures?😊
A friend of mine is coming over on Sunday and hope to get some video and pictures. It's hard to take a picture, lure him over the jump, throw him his reward and take a picture with one pair of hands, lol
tim_s_adams likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
excellent. My sis suggested I do agility with my dogs. She did many trials with her BCs and still photographs many events. I told her no way was I putting all of that gear in my yard

Looking forward to seeing Newlie strut his stuff on the course.
Haha! My back yard is a dead loss anyway mostly because of someone's big feet!
car2ner likes this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 09:59 PM
Crowned Member

You will like I learned to put the equipment closer together otherwise it can be a real work out! Can't wait to see the photos!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 10:16 PM
Crowned Member

I still have all that brand new agility equipment I bought in boxes in the shed. You have given me a push to get my butt moving and get it put together(I am so dreading this). This is my goal for next summer..thank you.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
I still have all that brand new agility equipment I bought in boxes in the shed. You have given me a push to get my butt moving and get it put together(I am so dreading this). This is my goal for next summer..thank you.
I know, I hate putting things together!

I only have four pieces right now, the jump. weave poles, an A Frame and a teeter. Luckily, it was all made for me by a friend of mine, so no assembly required (by me). If things go well, I may have him make some other stuff for me down the line, but we'll see.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 11:55 AM

just remember when you put the tube outside...spiders! We ran some of our IPO dogs through a tube, to expose them to something new, and one of our gals had to crawl into the tube to entice some of the dogs to come forward....brave soul since no one but bugs had gone through it for quite some time.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I bought an inexpensive tunnel for Newlie several years ago. It didn't last very long with Mr.Teeth around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page