Chandra's agility training - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

On the big girl weaves! I switched out the channel weaves for a solid base so Chandra doesn't get too used to the extra wiggliness of the channel poles. She had no problems adjusting.
tim_s_adams likes this.

Ryker: (USDAA) SR (DOCNA) C-BTA C-ISLA
Chandra: puppy in training!

Living forever in my heart, Solstice: (AKC) MX MXJ MJB (USDAA) PDCH (DOCNA) MEX-Bronze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 61 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Slowly chipping away at our running dogwalk. I think I mentioned before that we started with Susan Garrett's method, and are now following Dawn Weaver's method, both of which use a foot target. We've been doing several short sessions per week of flatwork with the target, and this is our first session adding the target to a plank. (technically not the first, we did it a few months ago before following Dawn's book but those earlier session were quite fail-tastic)
islanddog likes this.

Living forever in my heart, Solstice: (AKC) MX MXJ MJB (USDAA) PDCH (DOCNA) MEX-Bronze
post #53 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-20-2017, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Been hard at work on our running dogwalk! Frequent short sessions, with some time off from it too. Today Chandra had her second session at full height. She is still gaining confidence with it and getting better each time. I also spent a couple sessions teaching her to go between the poles I have on the up plank (kind of hard to see in the video) so she always enters straight. This will be useful as we start adding more distance and obstacles before the dogwalk.

kekipi and tim_s_adams like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 01:27 AM
Elite Member

She looks great to me! You two seem like a good team.
post #55 of 61 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

We've finally been getting snow the past week, so not much agility happening now! That's okay, sometimes it's nice to have a break forced on us. Taking the opportunity to work some indoor items/small space items that also help our agility training.

Today - finishes (starting to work some ob stuff but these are also good for agility line-ups), 2-on/2-off (will use this for turns on the dogwalk instead of turns in motion), and harness to stashed reward (delayed reinforcement for the end of our run)

I have been working on the 2o2o with Chandra for a while and we've been filling in missing pieces. She was okay with food but when a toy came out she basically lost her brain. Today she was finally able to do a 2o2o with a pre-placed toy out front, which is super hard for her! But also an important step in being able to stop and wait for the next obstacle.

post #56 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Not a ton of practice the past few weeks since winter has made that difficult, but we've been working a bit! Our yard is just now dry enough to play in, before more snow in three days. Oh well.

Chandra's running dogwalk seems to be coming along! I was doubtful for a while, but it's getting better. Here we are working dogwalk-tunnel discriminations and various exits.

post #57 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Nice!
post #58 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 03:19 PM

Haven't been here quite a while, but wow, those videos look great. Nice weaves and great running contacts! Are you planning on competing soon?
post #59 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Sporadic posting as usual, but we're still diligently training! Chandra has done a handful of DOCNA and AKC competitions and earned one Q each in Novice Standard and JWW. Lots of good stuff on each run, and always coming away with more homework to work on. We have a couple USDAA trials coming up next in May.

The dogwalk is the big thing that has been holding us back. Even though Chandra *can* get nice running hits, they are very inconsistent. After her previous trial a couple weeks ago I decided to switch to a 2o2o for a while and we will retrain the running from the ground up and see how that turns out. I am auditing Anne Lenz's online running contacts class. But I don't want to wait several more months to compete so using a 2o2o in the meantime will prevent any inconsistencies or practicing bad habits of leaping off the dogwalk. Who knows, we may just stick with the 2o2o.

dogma13 likes this.

post #60 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 04:17 PM

Really curious what you end up deciding - 2o2o or running contacts.
I'm honestly skeptical about GSD and running contacts because their sequence of steps is so wide and just doesn't seem to match. But the video you posted in February lokked really promising.
So yeah, curious if you switch back after Anne's online course. And I'm kinda jealous that you can just switch to 2o2o again. If I allowed running contacts once, I'm pretty sure my dog would NEVER come to a halt on a contact ever again...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page