Chandra's agility training - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Second session at full height (5′6″), and trying to transition to holding the toy instead of having it placed out as a target. Because I question whether she really “knows” the behavior or just happens to be correct while staring at the toy. Probably should have started with the toy on the ground anyway since we hadn’t worked on the aframe in over a week (if not two weeks) and it was probably a case of too much change too soon between that and the new height.

Next session I’ll start out with at least one rep of the toy on the ground, then move it out beyond a jump again. And mix in the occasional rep of me holding the toy.

dogma13, islanddog and tim_s_adams like this.

Ryker: (USDAA) SR (DOCNA) C-BTA C-ISLA
Chandra: puppy in training!

Living forever in my heart, Solstice: (AKC) MX MXJ MJB (USDAA) PDCH (DOCNA) MEX-Bronze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Foot targets! We have mostly ignored the running dogwalk stuff for a while but we're getting back at it now and I'm trying to dedicate a few sessions a week to a it so we can hopefully make steady progress. We started off following Susan Garrett's method which uses a foot target, but I left Agility Nation before we made much progress. Now we're trying to follow Dawn Weaver's method, which also uses a foot target.

I don't even know which number session this is, probably our fourth or fifth over the past roughly 10 days. Though Chandra was already familiar with the foot target from our previous work with SG's flatwork, I would say she still wasn't great at it. I think in this session a lightbulb really came on for her to understand touching the target. If the dog misses the target (as Chandra did on the first rep) we are supposed to stop and wait for them to offer touching it.

This Saturday we go to another OneMind Dog seminar!
islanddog likes this.

Living forever in my heart, Solstice: (AKC) MX MXJ MJB (USDAA) PDCH (DOCNA) MEX-Bronze
post #43 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Oh and an update from the previous a-frame post. I didn't video our recent a-frame session but I did stick to my plan of starting with one rep with the toy on the ground, and then moving it beyond a jump after the a-frame. Only one crazy leap-off and since I didn't video I can't see if there was a reason for it, but other than that she did great with running down through the box. I will probably forgo trying to carry the toy for now and leave it either on the ground or after the next obstacle to build more history of success with running down the box and not overly-focusing on me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Weave session today, thinking about fading the guide wires. I have been slowly fading them for a while, by removing them one at a time from the middle and lowering the rest. I think Chandra is confident enough now in the weaves and has nice consistent mechanics, so it’s probably time to get rid of the rest of the wires.
islanddog and tim_s_adams like this.

post #45 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 10:44 AM

I love seeing gsd's doing agility--following now.
Do all the border collie peeps eye's pop out when they see Chandra rocking it?

SONIC--Dominican Street Collie aka 100% Unknown Fibers
All of my other dogs were GSD's, sadly missed, moving forward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #46 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 10:49 AM
Crowned Member

Nice videos and equipment makes me want to add some more! Great weave poles max dislikes this the most he does it but will try to get the ball out of my pocket on his way to the weave poles is how I know - a big brat. Great job!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #47 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 03:30 PM
Knighted Member

Chandra is a pleasure to watch, thanks for sharing!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #48 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by islanddog View Post
I love seeing gsd's doing agility--following now.
Do all the border collie peeps eye's pop out when they see Chandra rocking it?
Haha I think they will once she gets out there in competition. So far nobody has really seen her outside of those who train with us.
islanddog likes this.

post #49 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Our video from the seminar a couple days ago! Several hours of learning compressed into four and a half minutes. It is hard to know what to say other than we are having so much fun together. I want to be the best handler I can for Chandra so she can know where she is supposed to go and go there as efficiently as possible without questions or faceplants or a moose-y handler in her way.

While I do not commit to any one method or system, I do believe that OneMind Dogs currently provides the best information about handling and understanding the dog’s perspective of our cues. It is really the "dog's method". We expect a lot from our dogs, so we owe it to them to continue learning and striving to improve ourselves. After all, we have 99.9% of the responsibility for everything that happens on the agility course.
islanddog likes this.

post #50 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

A-frames yesterday! Getting the box faded, and alternating between having the toy pre-placed on the line and carrying it. Thought we might get some teeters in too which is why I had the camera there, alas that did not happen and that’s okay!

Quite a bit of improvement in this session. When we did the sequence in the second rep previously (turning left from the a-frame to the wingless jump), Chandra really struggled with missing that jump. Most often going around the far side of it because of her momentum exiting the a-frame, but sometimes cutting in too tight as well, especially with the toy on the ground after the jump. So even though today I tossed her the reward before that jump (to reward her hitting the contact since it is still challenging for her with me pulling away laterally) it is nice to see her hitting the contact and on a line looking towards that jump before she gets the toy.

She also seems to be getting better at driving down and getting the second hit on the a-frame with me carrying the toy or handling to different obstacles that aren't straight in front of the a-frame, instead of leaping off too high after the first hit because she is looking at me.

Just some analysis of the details that go into this darn stuff.
tim_s_adams likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page