Chandra's agility training - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Starting to do more work on the contacts now that Chandra is old enough. Today was her second session with the box on the a-frame.

CindyMDBecker and TAPAL2017 like this.

Ryker: (USDAA) SR (DOCNA) C-BTA C-ISLA
Chandra: puppy in training!

Living forever in my heart, Solstice: (AKC) MX MXJ MJB (USDAA) PDCH (DOCNA) MEX-Bronze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 61 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Making progress with the channel weaves! I think she's starting to understand the concept of entries.

Living forever in my heart, Solstice: (AKC) MX MXJ MJB (USDAA) PDCH (DOCNA) MEX-Bronze
post #33 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

I'm slacking on posting, but we're still training! Got a lot of stuff to work on and just trying to make steady progress. Here is yesterday's weave session, definitely a lot of progress from the previous video!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 04:25 PM
Crowned Member

Nice work! She is fast. Max's least favorite thing the weave poles. I can tell because he will try to grab the ball out my hand everytime right before we get to the weave poles.
post #35 of 61 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Slacking on posting as usual, but still training! Currently we are focusing on obstacle skills on the a-frame, weaves, and teeter. Still aiming for a running dogwalk as well, but putting that on the backburner right now since the other obstacles are keeping us busy enough. Here is our a-frame session from today, introducing the concept of different exits and following the handling to the correct exit (instead of just assuming where the toy is).

post #36 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Today's a-frame session, first session up to 5'2". Still working various handling maneuvers and different exits, though no exits requiring strong collection yet. This was the first session I did one rep of delayed reinforcement sending her into a tunnel after the a-frame and then rewarding. I will start to mix in more reps of that.

The weaves are going pretty well too. We got the channel closed up straight a couple days ago and will start fading the guide wires off. So far she is doing awesome with entries, but we need more exit work. She struggled to not pop out when I tried front-crossing after the weaves, even with the wires still on. But I suppose that is a tricky move and she's still learning, so we'll get there! She is doing well with sending forward through the weaves and staying in when I pull off laterally, which are also a bit challenging so that is great.

We do need to do more dedicated jump work again. I've fallen into the common trap of focusing on the contacts and weaves, and Chandra has been struggling with knocking bars. So back to more jump work!

post #37 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 05:53 PM
Deb
Knighted Member

She is looking good! How old is she now?
post #38 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 11:59 PM
Knighted Member

I cannot believe how fast Chandra is at the weave! She's very talented and a beautiful dog. I have learned so much about the process by watching these videos, thank you so much for posting them. It's really been an eye opener for me to get some idea of the foundational work that is required! I have a female black Shepard pup that just turned 8 months old and has caught on very quickly to most the obstacles on an agility course sort of naturally, but not the weave. I didn't know how to even begin training that, so we haven't tried them yet. Now I see how carefully you prepared Chandra with great successes at each step, and again, I see now how much thought goes into the training. Best of luck to you when (soon I'm thinking) you enter your first competition!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #39 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
She is looking good! How old is she now?
She is 17 months!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
I cannot believe how fast Chandra is at the weave! She's very talented and a beautiful dog. I have learned so much about the process by watching these videos, thank you so much for posting them. It's really been an eye opener for me to get some idea of the foundational work that is required! I have a female black Shepard pup that just turned 8 months old and has caught on very quickly to most the obstacles on an agility course sort of naturally, but not the weave. I didn't know how to even begin training that, so we haven't tried them yet. Now I see how carefully you prepared Chandra with great successes at each step, and again, I see now how much thought goes into the training. Best of luck to you when (soon I'm thinking) you enter your first competition!
Ahh thank you for the kind words! Chandra is the fourth dog I've trained for agility so I've learned a lot and they've all taught me something different. Chandra does make it look easy but that is because of all the foundation work she's had. And of course the videos I post aren't all of our training, there is a lot more. But Chandra learns more with fewer repetitions with more foundation and the improvements in my training skills from the previous dogs. Learning never ends though, for both of us!

There are multiple methods for teaching weaves, they all work and have their pros and cons. Channel method is definitely my favorite. With an open channel you can teach the dog independence and speed right from the start without the added stress of actually weaving. I wouldn't start the weaves until at least 12 months old or older though.

Agility is lots of fun and addicting once you start! Have fun with your pup!
Deb and tim_s_adams like this.

post #40 of 61 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Evening training with Chandra! Weaves and turns out of straight tunnel puppy cannons, a skill we’ve neglected for a while. I got the weave channel closed into a straight line a few sessions ago, now working on slowly fading out the guide wires. Right now we only do about 1-2 sessions per week on the weaves.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page