Chandra's agility training - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Chandra went to a One Mind Dogs seminar a couple days ago!

dogma13 and TAPAL2017 like this.

Ryker: (USDAA) SR (DOCNA) C-BTA C-ISLA
Chandra: puppy in training!

Living forever in my heart, Solstice: (AKC) MX MXJ MJB (USDAA) PDCH (DOCNA) MEX-Bronze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Chandra working on 2on2off at club drop-in practice. Mostly building value for the position, as well as working in a new distracting environment (new for this behavior, anyway).

TAPAL2017 likes this.

Living forever in my heart, Solstice: (AKC) MX MXJ MJB (USDAA) PDCH (DOCNA) MEX-Bronze
post #23 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Some sequencing with Chandra this morning. Mostly working rear crosses, and some other stuff too. We have been working on rear crosses on one jump, now starting to put rear crosses in sequence. Hard for a baby dog but she's getting it! Also some impulse control at the beginning, being polite for her toy instead of mauling me for it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Some of our recent foundation work for the running dogwalk. Still not doing much intense work since she's young but trying to take advantage of the weirdly nice weather right now before it gets back to snow. Revisiting body awareness, first intro to the dogwalk, some hoop and foot target stuff. I'm trying two approaches, Ali Roukas-Canova's method (with the hoop and small foot target) and my own "idk making it up" thing with the carpet piece. Hopefully one of them will work, but we'll see!!!

TAPAL2017 likes this.

post #25 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Haven't posted for a while, but we've been training! Chandra is a year old now, so we're starting work on the contacts and weaves.

From a couple weeks ago, straight line jumps to work on driving forward, clearly a struggle but not a surprise since this is hard for most beginner dogs. Clearly I need the help of a lead-out and throwing the toy at this point!

First session on teeter between two tables. Ultimately I'll be using the TipAssist to train her teeter performance, but the two table method is still good for working with the movement, height, and noise of the teeter.

And today we started backchaining channel weaves!
fenny and TAPAL2017 like this.

post #26 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 11:56 PM

I would love to do agility with my pup Josie! I really enjoyed the videos in this thread! Any tips on when to start and how to learn how to train would be really appreciated!
post #27 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 08:15 AM
Crowned Member

Enjoyed your videos!!!!
post #28 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmj58 View Post
I would love to do agility with my pup Josie! I really enjoyed the videos in this thread! Any tips on when to start and how to learn how to train would be really appreciated!
Find a trainer near you who is well experienced in competing in agility. I typically recommend avoiding the "just for fun" trainers because they usually have very little experience with agility and it's easy for things to go wrong or even be dangerous with an inexperienced instructor. Most competition trainers still don't require you to compete, just understand that progress might feel a bit slow since there is a lot of foundation work and skills to work on before running sequences and courses.

There are also a lot of great online training options now too. Fenzi Academy, Agility University, and Daisy Peel's Online Classroom would be great places to start. You can find classes for engagement, toy skills, shaping, as well as "agility stuff" like obstacle skills and sequences.

If you look back on page 2 of this thread I listed a few things to work on with little/no agility equipment. If you're unsure of how to train any of those things, definitely check out the online classes. Building a good foundation with engagement, play, shaping, and body awareness makes all the "sexy stuff" of the agility obstacles much easier!
jasonmj58 and TAPAL2017 like this.

post #29 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 04:56 PM

thank you!
post #30 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Third session on channel weaves. Chandra added a tunnel for herself on one of the reps, good entry practice. :P

TAPAL2017 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page