2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Eliminating the chute

Read this on another board.

AKC Agility Suspends Use of The Collapsed Tunnel | Canine Chronicle

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 03:16 PM

Heard this elsewhere too.
I am happy about that.,
I did love the chute, and sending my previous girl through the chute. I thought it was a wonderful test of courage and trust.
However, I always worried that my dog might get caught up in it, and that that trust would be misplaced.
Apparently, I was right.
So I'm glad--planning on doing agility again.
I do hope they will come up with a new obstacle that requires courage and trust--but can be trained safely. No thoughts on what that can be, though...

SONIC--Dominican Street Collie aka 100% Unknown Fibers
All of my other dogs were GSD's, sadly missed, moving forward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 03:39 PM
Crowned Member

What safety issues did they have with it?

T17 Working Dogs-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 03:52 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
What safety issues did they have with it?
The dogs would get tangled in it causing leg injuries.

I tried training Mako on the chute. It was a disaster. He would grab a mouthful of the material and try to play tug while running through... I benched the chute hoping to come back to it when he was more mature and less land sharky. Guess we won't be doing that after all.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by islanddog View Post
Heard this elsewhere too.
I am happy about that.,
I did love the chute, and sending my previous girl through the chute. I thought it was a wonderful test of courage and trust.
However, I always worried that my dog might get caught up in it, and that that trust would be misplaced.
Apparently, I was right.
So I'm glad--planning on doing agility again.
I do hope they will come up with a new obstacle that requires courage and trust--but can be trained safely. No thoughts on what that can be, though...
It will be interesting to see what each of the different venues decide on, and if/what will be added as a replacement.

Here's an article with some more examples, if anyone's interested in a visual.

https://howtheyplay.com/animal-sport...uld-Replace-It
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 04:07 PM
Crowned Member

I have a chute set up in my yard and the dogs run through it all the time. I was kind of surprised they took it away but I can kinda see why. Mine is staked into the ground so the end doesn't move when they are coming out.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 04:09 PM
Knighted Member

I've also heard of friction burns on the face when a large, fast dog goes through.

It's impressive to watch. But like some comments I've seen, the speed that is being achieved on the agility field nowadays make this dangerous. Especially if the entry angle isn't dead on.

I believe it was a release from the CKC that postulated changing how it is designed (flat bottom of the barrel entrance, weighted fabric on the bottom) as ways of keeping the chute. But they did acknowledge the safety issues

But frankly, as a test of trust and independence, is it not just as equally a test of those things to have and open tunnel where the exit can't be seen from the entrance?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 04:23 PM

Here is a video on the dangers, it's pretty good
lhczth and Nigel like this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 06:13 PM
Crowned Member

The video explains it well, but some of those dogs "crashes" made me cringe.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 07:12 PM
Crowned Member

How about the dog walk? it is the reason I dropped out with Deja. She fell off a few times and the trainer said that it is the way they learn. But I don't want a crippled dog. Never understood why they didn't make them wider for the larger breeds, same with the see-saw. I loved agility but decided to play it safe for myself too. It is very hard on your joints and many agility enthusiasts have knee and hip replacements. I honestly think that dogs were not meant to weave either or run down an A frame (hard on their toes and joints. It is no wonder that many are injured and retired prematurely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page