Moving forward with our agility training! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Moving forward with our agility training!

Hi all! It has been a while since I have visited or been active on these forums. My superstar pup Xuri (aka the love of my life) is now 13 months old.

We have been doing lots of foundation training/ground work all throughout her puppyhood, but we are finally playing on some real equipment (albeit at lowered heights). No weaves, a-frame, or dogwalk for us yet, but we are doing lowered jumps, tunnels, and teeter. I've been working with a trainer for the past five or six weeks, taking one lesson a week, and I just tried out a new trainer who is a little closer to home, and we had a great time! Just doing private lessons for now, as it has been tricky to locate a group class to join. I'm anxious to get her into an environment with more dogs, though, so we may be joining up a class about two hours away from where we live.

I am thinking of joining a local club that would allow me the use of the equipment whenever I wanted, although none of their contacts are adjustable, and they only have competition weaves, so I'm not sure it's worth the investment yet. I do have a handful of jumps at home, but no tunnels or tire, so that alone may entice me to join up. Plus its always nice to get out and about somewhere different! If I do join, I'll probably purchase Silvia's foundation training video and work through some of those exercises.

Speaking of Silvia, I'm planning to join her running contacts course beginning mid August. Should be fun! I'm lucky enough to be working with trainers who support my crazy endeavor. If anyone is interested, I could post some of her progress videos to these forums once we start the process. Lord knows I'll already be recording and uploading a million videos for the class, anyways.

I'm interested to know how many members here are actively training or competing in agility! How many agility GSD's do we have here? And, if you don't mind me asking, what contact behavior have you taught for your teeter??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 06:33 PM
Elite Member

I do not have my shepherd pup yet, but I have a 9 1/2 month old pup (Chinese Crested Dog) that I will be starting in agility after some basic obedience classes. The Agility team will not allow pups to begin training until they are 14 months old. I would love to hear and see your progress with your dog! Cresteds are good at agility. If it goes well, I plan to do it as well with my future shepherd. I have never done it before - have you?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Oh, I think Cresteds are really neat! I knew of a few at my old kennel club that trained in agility.

I've never really done formal agility with the intent to compete. I took beginner classes around 6 years ago with two other dogs, just for fun. I really caught the bug then, although it was not a great time in my life for me to move forward with those dogs (I was graduating high school and moving away from home). I have been following the sport on and off since then, though, and have done all kinds of research and digging around looking into different methods and handling styles. I like to tell the trainers that I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous to myself.
maxtmill likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 09:56 AM
Elite Member

I took my boy for agilitiy training for a few private 4 week sessions - 1/2hr once a week. It was fun but his drive and build really isn't for that sport. But he LOVES the tunnel! Lol

I made a make shift tunnel when he was little with 4 trash barrels that were hanging around and a tarp. If you don't have a tarp, any sheet will do.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 10:20 AM
Crowned Member

You might check out Emmco's TipAssist for teeter training, or make one yourself. Bad Dog Agility did a great podcast on this piece of equipment.

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Della Luna View Post
And, if you don't mind me asking, what contact behavior have you taught for your teeter??
We started by luring when she was little.... luring her into position, two on, two off, rewarding from the hand ("Feet! Yes! Good Feet!"). This is our little practice plank, only a few inches high, it works great.

Then, after she understood the "Feet" command, we progressed to rewarding (with food) from the ground, and transitioned the behavior onto a wobble board, then onto a low teeter.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 01:35 PM
Crowned Member

We have some agility equipment my daughter has for her chihuahua. Our gsd loves agility we just do training in our backyard nothing formal he loves it. We would start to lure him with the ball but he will just plow through the tunnel ,teeter board, anything over or under then toss then I would toss ball as a reward. I had to concentrate more so slowing max down and would have him stop and stay on that cat walk and teeter so I could get some focus from him.l and he did not jump off at any one point. We had to use a leash as a pup and walk him through the equipment and point touch the ground where I wanted him to end up otherwise he would get the puppy crazies and race around like a coconut making his own agility plan. My daughter was taking private lessons with her chihuahua but I think we will be just sticking to the backyard with him for fun he enjoys it better. My daughter used the wobble board when our chihuahua paws touches she click and treated him gradually getting him on the board - he is seven so much patience and many sessions and locked away in her room so I would not interfere lol - they did it!!! The teeter is the chihuahuas biggest challenge. I did learn to put the agility equipment much closer together as it was a lot of running. For us the agility craze all started with a hola hoop- lol!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1470073027858.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	8.3 KB
ID:	378497   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1470073125873.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	378505  
Casto likes this.

Last edited by Jenny720; 08-01-2016 at 01:41 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildo View Post
You might check out Emmco's TipAssist for teeter training, or make one yourself. Bad Dog Agility did a great podcast on this piece of equipment.
I have seen those, they are a neat piece of equipment! Would be difficult to train a 2o2o behavior with it, I would think, due to the end not reaching the ground. Unless of course you simply waited until the dog was accustomed to the teeter at full height until teaching any contact behavior. I suppose it would be easy enough to teach a 4o behavior with this equipment, though. Definitely a very useful tool if one only has access to a full height teeter. I'm about to take a listen to that podcast- thanks for the resource!

Honestly I think I'm just going to buy my own adjustable teeter base and build the plank (which I will need anyway for our running contacts).

Backpacker, are you happy with the 2o2o's? I'm debating between teaching that or a 4o contact. I think the 4o would be a little more natural for this dog, as she looooooves her downs, and already has a fantastic down-target that can be accomplished at speed. For her, the 2o2o seems a little more difficult for her to process, though I'm sure she'd be more than capable with more work on it. The issue I'm concerned about with teaching a 4o is making sure that she consistently runs all the way to the end of the plank.

The trainers I'm working with advocate simply teaching the dog a slower teeter and no stopped contact. I'm not a fan of that, except that it would be nicer on the dog's body, because of a greatly reduced teeter whip. However it would almost certainly require babysitting, and I would much rather have an independent teeter performance.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Della Luna View Post
Backpacker, are you happy with the 2o2o's? I'm debating between teaching that or a 4o contact. I think the 4o would be a little more natural for this dog, as she looooooves her downs, and already has a fantastic down-target that can be accomplished at speed. For her, the 2o2o seems a little more difficult for her to process, though I'm sure she'd be more than capable with more work on it. The issue I'm concerned about with teaching a 4o is making sure that she consistently runs all the way to the end of the plank.

The trainers I'm working with advocate simply teaching the dog a slower teeter and no stopped contact. I'm not a fan of that, except that it would be nicer on the dog's body, because of a greatly reduced teeter whip. However it would almost certainly require babysitting, and I would much rather have an independent teeter performance.
I like it, because once she (actually, both of my dogs) learned "FEET!" as a generalized command, it became helpful on both the teeter and the dogwalk. We practiced it on the low plank, wobble board, practice teeter, and also at home on the bottom step of our deck, until it wasn't a command specific to one piece of equipment any longer.

We need more work on precision (speed and desire to GO-GO-GO is not lacking ). I have tons more to learn - so having a command that gives a predictable, controlled pause helps me handle, to be honest.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 10:52 AM

Welcome! I'm in Colorado too! It can definitely be hard to find classes around here (at least in the Front Range area), especially for beginners. We currently have a higher demand for classes than there are trainers able/qualified to teach agility. Which is nice for us trainers, not so nice for people wanting classes!

As far as contact behavior, to be honest I've never seen a 4o performance hold up consistently, except on the teeter. Never seen it hold up on the dogwalk or a-frame. If you want a stop I'd definitely recommend a 2-on/2-off.

I've got three GSDs all with different contact behaviors. The oldest one (Ryker) has 2-on/2-off on everything. If I was still actively competing/training in agility with him, I would switch him to a running a-frame but keep the 2o2o on the dogwalk and teeter.

My current competition dog (Solstice) has all running contacts. She's always done a running a-frame and I started her with 2o2o on the dogwalk and teeter, but the short story is she's a nervous nelly that wants to always be right and the 2o2o was too much of a "I must be perfect o_o" thing for her and stopping near the judges made her nervous so the running contact keeps her moving and has helped her confidence a lot. But she's the first dog I've done a running dogwalk with (mostly with Silvia's method) and training a running dogwalk is really hard and I've screwed up a lot so we're still currently working on it. Well my very first dog (not a GSD) had "running" contacts that were the "point and hope the dog hits the yellow" type, haha.

The youngest one (Chandra) is just a 4 month old puppy so she's not doing much on the equipment yet but I have started 2o2o on a small plank. I'm still a bit undecided with her but I think my plan is running a-frame and teeter, running dogwalk for the straight exits and 2o2o for the turns or exits I need extra control. We'll see! I really like the running dogwalk but I've definitely struggled with training it with Solstice and I know I can do a good 2o2o so we'll see. Got plenty of time to think about it with her.

p.s. I do love the TipAssist for teeter training. In fact Wildo is the one who got me interested in it.

Ryker: (USDAA) SR (DOCNA) C-BTA C-ISLA
Chandra: puppy in training!

Living forever in my heart, Solstice: (AKC) MX MXJ MJB (USDAA) PDCH (DOCNA) MEX-Bronze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page