Aroual/Impulse Control - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 03:29 PM
Crowned Member

I have pulled her out of agility at that age last year. She was way not ready and (therefore I didn't want it to become a negative experience); going off course, inspecting other dogs and the bags they brought with them, uncoordinated on the dog walk and falling off etc. Now, it is a year later and I feel she is getting more ready for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 03:31 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
I have pulled her out of agility at that age last year. She was way not ready and (therefore I didn't want it to become a negative experience); going off course, inspecting other dogs and the bags they brought with them, uncoordinated on the dog walk and falling off etc. Now, it is a year later and I feel she is getting more ready for it.
Same boat for me. Smartest "dog training" move I ever made. My dog needed time to grow and mature mentally before the stress of agility. Probably the hardest dog training move I ever made as well, especially coming off of a forced retirement from my senior dog needing to stop agility cold turkey due to medical issues.

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
post #43 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 03:57 PM
Master Member

Just some thoughts - At 9 months old my male would have been over stimulated in an agility setting. Instead we focused on obedience and engagement in AKC obedience (smaller area, lots of dogs/people/distractions etc). We started agility at 15 months old and I am glad that we waited.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 05:53 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildo View Post
Smartest "dog training" move I ever made. My dog needed time to grow and mature mentally before the stress of agility. Probably the hardest dog training move I ever made as well
Definitely felt like an embarrassment as a (pet dog) trainer myself at first but I had to do it and felt really good about it later.
The agility trainer said "not to worry about falling off the dog walk as she will learn that way". But I saw accidents and injury coming so no thanks! It was a relief. This intense dog has taught me so much about opening my mind to techniques and decisions to make.
Cam, however, at 6 months old is a breeze in agility already, almost too easy but a relief at the same time. Once he is done with two classes I may enter Deja back in the summer. She has solid obedience and impulse control compared to last year. What a difference a year makes at this age.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page