Aroual/Impulse Control - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I may have but this is more of a major arousal issue! My past post was my female whining watching other dogs work/run not working in a complete state of whining arousal!!!! I feel this is way worse of a problem by far. She can work in a calm state. He at 10 months is working in a whining state period. Tonights 2 classes were both that way, agility & obed! I didn't use the water bottle tonight but thinking that with citronella oil added to it next week. Collar correction is not cutting it! 8/

Thanks, I will look into Rons info. Thanks also for SG advice as I wasn't sure if her programs, puppy peaks, recallers, ect would help. I so would love to do the Brenda Aloff's program or Shade but if I did, wanting to do the ones people have done & had results. 8)

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Oh yeah & I even rubbed him down with lavender tonight, lol! 8| Must be these BGSDs I swear cause our rescue that we got as an adult was the same way & thought it was his lack of training as he was 3 when we got him & now faced with a pup doing this!
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 11:35 PM

LuvourGSD's,
What type of collar corrections have you done? Is your dog basically leaking drive and screaming like a banshee when working. I owned a dog that would scream during heeling, super focused and screaming for much of the OB routine. High drive and wound super tight. It can be fixed, but needs to be addressed early.

I address leaking drive and screaming with our LE dogs as well. Some dogs will get super excited before a building search, while downed at the entrance as soon as the handler starts to give the K-9 warnings. This really amps these high drive dogs up, some will start to whine, bark or even scream. This is un satisfactory and not acceptable for many reasons. An extremely calm, controlled handler with a nylon slip collar is the easiest way that I have found to quiet the dog.

I haven't read every post, so I do not know if you have tried that?

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 11:50 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvourGSDs View Post
My past post was my female whining watching other dogs work/run not working in a complete state of whining arousal!!!! I feel this is way worse of a problem by far. She can work in a calm state. He at 10 months is working in a whining state period.
Gotchya! Sorry, I couldn't remember if it was the same dog before or not. BTW- I talked to Ron tonight about your issue and he said he's actually working on a post about similar issues right now. Hopefully it'll be up in a couple days or so. If I remember, I'll send you a link!

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

The prong is what I use for obed work. In agility no correction collar used of course but use a fleece slip martingale lead.

I have a leather slip lead or choke but have just resorted to my prong. He's an awesome dog buuuuuuut really want him toning down his arousal level. They said last night at class, instructor included, we all know when Sprocket is in the building! 8/ Also, if someone takes him from me or placed in a down/stay with a stranger to work on future testing, he really whines!

I got him at just over 4 months of age. Drive toy (crazy for the flirtpole, which we are on the down low with, lol/food, Shaping, Luring, etc work was done with him coming from a schutzhund background. I'm not familiar with how this is built but while I love certain things, it's the capping that needs done now. It's like a excited or not sure if anxious whine?

It's not screaming but whining & if real amped a blurt of a bark at times. Was told correcting him is getting my attention. That's why I *try* to ignore the crate whines at home (which i know a e-collar would prob put a stop to it but trying my best to nip it without). 8/ Want him not crate whining at shows also & a few shows in the past, he did good. It seems in his adolescent stage, this is getting worse. I practice everything done in a calm state. He's knows, quiet as he'll speak & then I que, quiet, which the bugger does nicely.
PMs welcomed if others wish to go that route. 8)

Leaking, as in a whine here & there? At this point it's constantly but way worse in agility class & I work him constantly with movement obed/play in between turns.
I truly feel if I cannot get it under control now that it will only magnify once he really starts knowing the agility game & he'll be one that's a crazy hot mess which I do not want, lol. Doesn't help your nerves either!

The BGSD was a joke as males getting bashed for this over females but I swear just ironic he amps like our last BGSD!

Always working nilf & impulse control stuff.
Getting out of his crate is the biggest hurdle as he spins & whines.

Thank Wildo & yep..... *please* share that link. I've tried researching, youtubing arousal, etc & thought I would try my GSD people. 8)

Trying my best..... 8/ He's a fun boy but want him to be a balanced working dog, turn on & turn off the whining! Oh btw, he does inside. Play outside, high arousal to come in house, goes to place (bed) & settles or sleep. 8)

Thanks all!!!!!
post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

The wildchild!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160115_185629_1455116084281.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	347658  
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-10-2016, 03:30 PM
Crowned Member

I still think that a video is needed that highlights the problem. It's not that I don't think you're accurately describing the problem- heck, who am *I* to even offer advice... But seeing the problem might spawn some new ideas. While I agree that an e-collar might address this issue, I'm reluctant to go there without actually seeing the problem. I know one person who thinks their dog "rocks" crate games, yet can't get their dog out of the crate calmly without an e-collar. The fact that crate games is about impulse control logically dictates that an e-collar shouldn't be needed to enforce impulse control... Totally missing the point... Remember that performance is not understanding. Just because your dog can do a behavior doesn't mean the dog understands the behavior. So anyway, I think video would probably be good in this case.

Willy
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014

Last edited by wildo; 02-10-2016 at 03:35 PM.
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I'll try my best to get some video. 8)

A part of me thinks, no classes for him but a part also feels, how's he going to learn control in these type of settings? 8/

Thanks again.......
post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 02:32 PM
Crowned Member

I replied via PM on this.

Willy
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 03:07 PM

My situation is slightly different, but my dog was having issues concentrating on me. It was like..."oh look there is a dog"...focusfocusfocus..."oh, a person, hotdog, monkey, train...aaaahhhh." He would be a bit of a yippy, yanking hothead. So I had to work my tail off to keep him engaged and be ready to anticipate all of the distractions he would face. In my case, his desire for reward("yes!" and a piece of dog kibble in this instance) was way higher than his urge to pay attention to anything else. I started out in a low distraction place and rewarded him whenever he looked at me. Eventually I worked into busier places with him and corrected him very lightly right before he got amped up(followed immediately by a command to keep him busy). Dealing with distractions may be a little different than capping/directing drive/energy, but I would not mind if he was dancing around a tad as long as he had his focus locked in on me and was following my directions. I think that by working on obedience, teaching a "look at me command"(I just say "me"), and trying your best to constantly keep him engaged, I believe that you could get your pup to chillax. That being said, it is a case by case basis and I have not attended an agility class with my dog, so I am not exactly sure of the environment(and although the environment is not a excuse for a dog to go all hippy happy yappy dog, he is still just a pup full of energy and does not know what to do with it...that is why he needs you...to teach him what to do with it). These is just the experience of one person(me) though, so please regard them as such...you are the only one who can ultimately know what is best for your pooch! Persevere in the training of your dog! It will all iron out and you will become a better handler because of it! Have fun!

Last edited by 5stargerman; 03-14-2016 at 03:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page