Aroual/Impulse Control - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 12:02 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildo View Post
What I find is that in the vast majority of dog sports, dogs are allowed to be... dogs. They amp up. They get excited for the game. They bark. They bark loudly. That's just how it is.
Like flyball?

Why isn't using a crate an option?

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 08:23 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
Like flyball?
Yep! Or disc dog. Or lure coursing. Or dock jumping. Or barn hunt. Ok- that last one is just MY crazy obnoxious dog. I get all the looks from the terrier folks.

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks for your input Wildo!

It's just his state of mind wants to go, go, go, do, do, do but in a whining arousal state working him & just wanting to gain his brain & I guess more control to work in bit of a calmer state. It's the looks thus far in a class setting I get for the whines/over arousal. Plus trying to get in & out of class in this state. I will continue obed classes with him, he also does this coming & going there but when working fairly good & whines mainly in down time. I've tried the squirt bottle last week & this did help a bit.

His crate whining at home can be a pain at times & was up in the air to use at class. He does whine in it too. I've tried my best to ignore & only reward for calm. As in getting out, eating, etc. At times I do get at him sayin quiet if he's real bad. Hate doing this cause freaks out my softer GSD. I've tried to just ignore tho but at times he gets bad with it. 8////

Up in the air about nipping it in the butt & route to take? 8/ His focus can be awesome & he is super smart.

Instructor recommend Brenda Aloff. Would love to try but starts tomorrow at midnight, little research on her, & yes, a costly program. 8(

Appreciate all suggestions you all have gave!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 11:39 AM
Crowned Member

I've only ever heard very good things about Brenda Aloff. Again, my personal opinion is that as along as I have focus & control in the ring, I don't really care much about what happens outside the ring. Jinks is *OVER* aroused while waiting in the blind for Barn Hunt. He's loud, barky, whiny, over the top. He drags me into the ring. But when we enter the ring and I tell him to sit to be released, he happily complies and waits for release. He works in a high state of arousal, but not over aroused. He listens to my commands and works efficiently. So while he's absolutely, completely over aroused outside the ring, his actual ring time is not over the top. It's exactly where I like it- very high arousal with good control and focus. So for me, I learn to not care about the whining and craziness outside the ring. Sure- not possible for everyone- we all have our priorities!

Now if he were over aroused in the ring- like I said- we'd be working in it for sure! I've never taken a Brenda Aloff class, but I've heard very good things. I have a couple of her books, which I've skimmed most of them.

Willy
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 11:39 AM

Those whiny GSD boys! I swear the boys are just whiny in general and it's one reason I'm sticking with girls for a while! :0

Interestingly Bad Dog Agility had a recent podcast about dealing with over-arousal in agility: Episode 121: Dealing with Over-Arousal in Dog Agility

It's probably one I'd need to listen to again, but basically their advice was to teach the dog how to work in an aroused state rather than fighting it. Which is the advice you'll see in some places and it's taken me a while to see the value in it. I believe this is similar or at least related to the concept of "capping" that protection sports people talk about.

I do agree with the advice of teaching the dog to work while over-aroused and learn to deal with it, though admittedly I've not really practiced it yet as my over-aroused nutcase is no longer doing agility anyway (physical reasons). Though we do have similar issues in obedience, as all it takes is a toy for him to get whiny and stupid. And I apply the same process of whine = toy goes away (back in the bag, pocket, whatever), quiet = dog gets toy. And anywhere we can in everyday life, whining = you don't get what you want, quiet does.

Ryker: (USDAA) SR (DOCNA) C-BTA C-ISLA
Chandra: puppy in training!

Living forever in my heart, Solstice: (AKC) MX MXJ MJB (USDAA) PDCH (DOCNA) MEX-Bronze
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 11:43 AM
Crowned Member

Off topic completely, but the girls can be just as whiny!!!! Check out Pimg in the background from last night...

Willy
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Agreed...... my girl amps but at watching other dogs run, not losing it while working!

Wildo, any of Susan G. classes you feel may help? I like his drive & focus but really want him to work in a calm state. 8/

I may start next class that is at a diff place taking a crate & maybe if too jacked, put in crate? We all work out in a group type setting. I lost on gaining his focus on too crazy, exciting situations & want to gain complete control on that. I really hate them too jacked entering a ring to do anything as I feel it will be a hot mess in that case!

With my current girl, we wait outside view area & enter really when dog about done on course ahead of us.

Thanks again......
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvourGSDs View Post
I really hate them too jacked entering a ring to do anything as I feel it will be a hot mess in that case!
Agreed! I know some people don't mind but for me I don't like my dog being a crazy lunatic or whining/barking while waiting ringside for his turn. It's taken a lot of work establishing that eye contact, focus, and control get the dog what he wants. He whines or barks, he gets moved farther away from what he wants. We had to waste some classes just going back and forth from his crate towards the startline, but it really took 100% consistency that he had to walk politely and not bark to get to that startline and do agility. Fortunately he is also very obsessed with toys, so I would mark and reward with his toy for the eye contact or a control behavior (he now offers a down when he wants something, which is nice) instead of staring and barking at other dogs doing agility.

I still think some of the Fenzi classes would be helpful, especially Shade's toy class or the drives and control classes. They don't seem directly related to the whiny arousal and impulse issues, but they really are and have helped my guy tremendously. Cheaper than Susan Garrett too!

(and yes girl dogs can be whiny too :P)

Ryker: (USDAA) SR (DOCNA) C-BTA C-ISLA
Chandra: puppy in training!

Living forever in my heart, Solstice: (AKC) MX MXJ MJB (USDAA) PDCH (DOCNA) MEX-Bronze
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 04:20 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Wildo, any of Susan G. classes you feel may help? I like his drive & focus but really want him to work in a calm state. 8/
Actually, no. I'd very highly recommend a seminar from Ron Watson at Pawsitive Vybe. Their "Drive Train" seminar is all about building drive, capping drive, and everything in between. For low dogs he shows methods for amping them up, and for high dogs he shows methods for calming them down. I think it would be well worth your time. I've become a BIG fan of Ron over the last year or so, even a friend of his. I very much believe he's the "Susan Garrett" of the disc dog world. He has an exceptional eye for dogs and is quite keen on these sorts of things.

Camps & Seminars by Pawsitive Vybe

Pretty much all of his material is FREE on his website. Buying into a class of his is really buying access to him directly as the material is already publicly available. So you might take a look at his website and see if you can find some articles on managing drive and arousal.

Some Thoughts on Teaching in Drive | Pawsitive Vybe

Willy
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 04:32 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
I really hate them too jacked entering a ring to do anything as I feel it will be a hot mess in that case!
... I'm just going to leave this here.

My point is that, if memory serves, this isn't the first time you've had a thread about this problem. I think this is a long running problem for you, right? I'd like to see video of your dog entering the ring and running the course. It's very possible that the problem is only in your perception... I'd say Wings was pretty dang amped up in that video!! And yet it was a phenomenal run. I have a Shepherd; I'm very aware of the whining. But don't let some whining potentially derail you from an otherwise awesome run and a good time with your dog! Even Susan Garrett gave up on keeping Swagger quiet while running the course.

I also agree with TwoBigEars that some Shade Whitesel classes would likely be very beneficial. Everyone I know who has taken a Shade class has absolutely loved it.

Willy

Last edited by wildo; 02-09-2016 at 04:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page