I'm I too late? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 10:18 AM
Crowned Member

Absolutely not to late. Dogs can not even learn to jump until their growth plates are fully closed.

So at this age, you work on obedience and ground work foundation.

So go sign up. You still have a baby. Much older dogs than that have started and been competitive.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Wow great thanks for the info. I have never been into anything like this sounds like commitment but fun as well
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 10:28 AM
Crowned Member

It is a commitment and a ton of fun. I really miss agility but I just don't have time to do IPO and agility. Really, at 6 months, it's a great time to start.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 10:34 AM

Good age to start foundation work, I don't start weaves till at least 1 year old. Find a active club and get started in a puppy class.

Judy Sheaffer
Reba CD TDI Rescue / Bridge
Caramist Ramblin Red Sage UD CGC / Bridge
PAM Alkarah's Havoc of Hollabird CD RAE PT MXP AJP OFP TC / Bridge
Kenlyn's Red Hot Chili Pepper CD RA NA NJ NF
Kaleef Monarch's Thunderstruck
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 04:25 PM

6 months is definitely not too late! As the others said, it's actually better to wait until the dog is about a year or older before starting serious obstacle work, as agility is physically stressful on the body.

In the meantime you can work on plenty of foundation, tricks, obedience, play, etc. If you have a dog that focuses well and knows how to learn, agility is very easy to teach. There are tons of foundation things you can do while your dog is young that will make the "real" agility training very easy! (and as you progress, you'll discover that the foundation training is the real training)

Things that puppies can work on include clicker training and shaping, tricks (hand touch, walk backwards, spin left and right, retrieving, go around a cone, much much more!), impulse control, playing with toys (desire to play, tug, drop, and retrieve), body awareness (walking through cavalettis and ladders, walking and turning on a plank, perch work), noise and movement games (wobble boards, tippy planks, bang game, knocking things over, skateboards), more!

Find a good trainer with competition experience to help you get started. If you need help, you can give us your general location and we might know somebody to recommend.

Ryker: (USDAA) SR (DOCNA) C-BTA C-ISLA
Chandra: puppy in training!

Living forever in my heart, Solstice: (AKC) MX MXJ MJB (USDAA) PDCH (DOCNA) MEX-Bronze
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2016, 04:32 PM
Crowned Member

No weave poles, A frame or dog walks either.
I pulled Deja out of agility as she was way too hyper on these and fell off. The trainer said that this is how she learns but I don't want an injured GSD.
Will start with my Collie (5 months) in a couple of weeks. He is way more calculated.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 10:53 PM

The frame and DW should be taken down in height, same with the teeter.

Judy Sheaffer
Reba CD TDI Rescue / Bridge
Caramist Ramblin Red Sage UD CGC / Bridge
PAM Alkarah's Havoc of Hollabird CD RAE PT MXP AJP OFP TC / Bridge
Kenlyn's Red Hot Chili Pepper CD RA NA NJ NF
Kaleef Monarch's Thunderstruck
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 11:08 PM
Administrator

Not too late, not at all.

Get involved with a trainer or club that has sound knowledge of safe foundation training. Many of them offer "puppy agility" classes that you can enroll in, up to 10 or 12 months of age. They'll explain which obstacles are safe, and which can be adjusted to become safe. Lower heights, no weaving, plenty of reward and fun motivation. I enjoy it.

Puppy agility is LOTS of fun, and it helps build a foundation of trust between you and the dog. As an added bonus, your dog will learn to listen to cues at a distance, and understand directional commands, which may be useful if you choose to participate in other dog sports down the road. Go find a good class, and sign up tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page