Puppy agility suuggestions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Puppy agility suuggestions

My new puppy is 9 weeks old now. I know that obviously we won't be doing any jumping, contacts or weaves until 12 months but I was hoping for some suggestions on what I could be doing with him now. I will be proofing his waits when we get to that stage and also working on forward focus. What else could I work on?

I have heard of using a balance board/cushion. I bought one today for my older Sheltie who is having trouble with the seesaw but could I be using this with the puppy too? I will be letting my puppy be a puppy but I don't see any harm in a bit of training everyday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel13 View Post
My new puppy is 9 weeks old now. I know that obviously we won't be doing any jumping, contacts or weaves until 12 months but I was hoping for some suggestions on what I could be doing with him now. I will be proofing his waits when we get to that stage and also working on forward focus. What else could I work on?

I have heard of using a balance board/cushion. I bought one today for my older Sheltie who is having trouble with the seesaw but could I be using this with the puppy too? I will be letting my puppy be a puppy but I don't see any harm in a bit of training everyday
Good play with no jumping. I would do things along the lines of tunnels and weave poles, hope that helped
Honestly, just stay on the ground.

Last edited by Raquan; 10-27-2015 at 09:18 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raquan View Post
Good play with no jumping. I would do things along the lines of tunnels and weave poles, hope that helped
Honestly, just stay on the ground.
I will definitely be doing a lot of playing I'll have to root out the old tunnel and introduce that soon. I will be leaving the weaves until he is at least 14 months old though all that twisting can't be good for a puppies hips. I only started weaving with Simba at 14 months
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 11:50 AM
Knighted Member

When I took a "pre" agility when my dog was still a puppy, we worked on things like getting your dog comfortable being on either side of you (not just the left side), teaching 'touch' and having them touch an object (we used a margarine lid and placed it on the floor or on other objects). Teach your dog to follow your hand.

For props we had them step through a ladder while it was on the ground (teaches some body awareness), we set up a jump, but had the crossbar at ankle level, we had a ramp they went up, we did a teeter totter (but with another person holding the end so it didn't hit down and it was barely off the ground) .. you could actually just use a board on bricks or some such and teach your pup to walk along it. My pup loved the tunnel as well.

Xan Varik von Fernheim (born 4/3/13)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 07:21 PM
Crowned Member

Forget about agility- go train your dog tricks. Check out Silvia Trkman's stuff. A dog that can't be shaped will not be a fun agility dog...

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 03:18 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Some great ideas are on https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...e-working.html , I like the crate games....

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 03:31 PM
Administrator

I picked up a Fitpaws disk (rubber/inflatable) after the instructor of our puppy agility class recommended one. We're having a lot of fun with it, my puppy gets excited when it comes out of the closet. Front paws up, back paws up, spinning her rear end around, etc. With nasty winter weather right around the corner, I'm adding this to the list of things we can do in the warm living room. Worth the money, in my opinion.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 03:37 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBackpacker View Post
I picked up a Fitpaws disk (rubber/inflatable) after the instructor of our puppy agility class recommended one. We're having a lot of fun with it, my puppy gets excited when it comes out of the closet. Front paws up, back paws up, spinning her rear end around, etc. With nasty winter weather right around the corner, I'm adding this to the list of things we can do in the warm living room. Worth the money, in my opinion.
That's a perfect thing to train, particularly with winter coming up. Classes make it much easier and more fun.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-30-2015, 11:21 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildo View Post
Forget about agility- go train your dog tricks. Check out Silvia Trkman's stuff. A dog that can't be shaped will not be a fun agility dog...
This video was just posted today and sums up nicely how I feel on the subject.

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in